Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Convince me: Project Black Sky or Valiant?

I think this will not only help me, but others as well, choose which route to go. What are the pros and cons of each of these superhero lines. What do you like about them and are they noob frienly (yes, i used the way overused noob).

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Project Black Sky is a great "noob" friendly comic line from Dark Horse, not only that there are 3 great ongoing titles (Ghost, Captain Midnight and X) with there own feels, styles and yet they all fit well together during cross over series like 2 Past Midnight. Each character is handled wonderfully both by artists and writers.

And they are 100 % readable to new readers. You don't have to read anything to start at the new series, which are all new issue, Captain Midnight having 12 issue, X having 13 and Ghost having 6. They for sure have plans for new stuff coming out. And they have many wonderful mini series like Brain Boy, The Occultist, Skyman and Blackout.

All the mini and ongoing series have talented writers and artist behind them and they all really care about the stories and characters. Ghost writer Chris is someone I talk to all the time and he really loves writing that title and has some great plans. Dark Horse is doing a wonderful job with this new world they are making.

I have only check out a bit from Valiant, so I can not comment. But Black Sky got me into other indie titles from many different companies. So I thank them for a lot!

If you have any questions about any Black Sky things let me know! I would love to help!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I read all the Valiant books for the year, but don't read any now. I still read all the Dark Sky books. Valiant is good, but they're very dudebro comics (without the overt sexism or racism you'd expect). Black Sky is much more casual and not as continuity heavy. Both lines are really dark and violent, though.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Valiant imo, just put out higher quality books with a more compelling and interesting mythos. I also found the universe to be a bit more coherent.

The DHs books i just found to be pretty generic for the most part. If youve read Captain America, youve read Captain Midnight. If youve read Punisher, youve read X etc.

Best advice id say is to just get the first trades of any series for cheap and judge for yourself though. Or get the first issues digitally. Most are 99c or free iirc.

BANNED

it's all a matter of taste, but i'm partial to Valiant myself. great books with nice little shared continuity.

I've read a few valiant books and they have been really good, but it's hard to put into words how excited I am with Project Black Sky books. Captain Midnight has already become one of my all time favorite characters. The world building they are doing is really fun and you feel like you are getting in on the ground floor. Every month I look forward to see what new info will come out of Black Sky and what Captain Midnight will be getting into. I say go with Project Black Sky!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    it's all a matter of taste, but i'm partial to Valiant myself. great books with nice little shared continuity.
    That's what I don't like about them, everything is a crossover in Valiant! I started with X-O Manowar and Harbinger but now everything is Unity and other crossovers. I just want to read a book without having to delve into all the other books of the publisher, I quit most of DC because I got event fatigue, and I don't want to repeat that with other publishers.