Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

What's up everyone? I used to be a member before the crackdown in April (if you never saw me it's cause I was an infrequent poster in the Ultimate Marvel board), and after seeing this thread I just had to put my two cents in.
    In regards to PBS, I'm not really a fan. If you're looking for a nice, simple superhero universe, with self-contained single series, yet a cohesive universe, this isn't really the place to go. Sure, it does all those things right, technically, but there's just not much of a shared universe to be had. There's only 3 ongoings at any given time, and if you're just not into one of them, you only have 2 to look forward to every month. 2 Past Midnight looks cool. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Also, like someone else said earlier, their superheroes aren't terribly original.
    Captain Midnight = Captain America
    X = Punisher/Rorschach
    Brain Boy = Tony Stark with telekinesis
    Skyman = Falcon
    Now.. to be fair, I haven't read all that much, so don't take my opinion too seriously. I've read Brain Boy 0, the FCBD2014 issue, and the free PBS webseries. I really enjoyed the FCBD issue but it's not going to go anywhere any time soon... Brain Boy was very disappointing, because he was the character that looked most intriguing to me. The art was super off-putting, and the storytelling was just plain lazy. I realize that it's a 0 issue and not a #1, but if Dark Horse is gonna release it for free, this is going to be my first exposure to him. And the PBS webseries... is boring as f***. It's 5 (very short) issues in and I was struggling to stay awake.
    It seems like Dark Horse just isn't putting much effort into it, which is sad because they're about to lose Star Wars and the Whedonverse can't hold up the publisher by itself.

Onto Valiant!
    I just recently found Valiant, and it has blown my mind! I am completely enamored with it right now, and plan on dropping almost all of my DC/Marvel stuff so I can get everything Valiant (and DynaKey). The universe is air-tight, and the crossovers don't feel overbearing. Each series is extremely well thought-out and a lot of love is put into every issue. On top of that, you don't have to read anything else to understand what's going on in any single series. Even if there's a crossover/event, you can just ignore it and you'll still understand what's going on. The line is made up of many different superhero styles and genres, so there is literally something for everyone. Sci-fi, comedy, teen, Conan-esque, futuristic, team-up, super-soldier, vigilante, cosmic, dark, fun, supernatural... you name it.
    The only book that was lame was Shadowman, but even that was pretty awesome at points. If you like Dr. Strange/Ghost Rider/JLD you'd like it. Hopefully Dr. Mirage'll be better. I would list all the titles, but I really don't want to make this post longer than it already is. Just know that legitimately every single series is good. Some may not be for you. For example I'm not really into cosmic or Conan-esque (there's gotta be a better word for that) stuff, so X-O Manowar and Eternal Warrior aren't really my thing, but for people who are into that kind of stuff?: they're fantastic. One thing that should be mentioned is that PBS is severely lacking in comedy books. Archer & Armstrong is pretty hilarious and satirical but it's not, in itself, a comedy book. Whereas Quantum & Woody is straight-up comedy gold. If you like humor in your comics, you're doing yourself a disservice by not reading it. I find myself literally laughing out loud during like every other page. (Dear god, that damn goat is hilarious)
    QW_004_crop-600x507.jpg
    Either way, good luck finding a better superhero universe than Marvel or DC! (I'm loving Gold Key as well)
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 07-26-2014 at 05:32 AM.

Great post there Ferg. I read the #0 issue of Captain Midnight and enjoyed it, but I found Ghost to be quite boring to be honest. I am leaning more towards the Valiant line than PBS. If I can get away with just reading X from PBS I may go that route.

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_duck View Post
    Great post there Ferg. I read the #0 issue of Captain Midnight and enjoyed it, but I found Ghost to be quite boring to be honest. I am leaning more towards the Valiant line than PBS. If I can get away with just reading X from PBS I may go that route.
    X, Blackout, and Captain Midnight are all amazing and definitely worth the read, all three trump anything Valiant is doing and can be read independent from other PBS titles.

BANNED

If you enjoyed Captain Midnight, you will definitely enjoy X. X is the best in PBS. Hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bslythegamerguy View Post
    X, Blackout, and Captain Midnight are all amazing and definitely worth the read, all three trump anything Valiant is doing and can be read independent from other PBS titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    If you enjoyed Captain Midnight, you will definitely enjoy X. X is the best in PBS. Hehehe.
    Ok, I really wanna argue with you guys, but I haven't read those books. I'm downloading the #1's for Ghost, Captain Midnight, X, and possibly Blackout.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 07-26-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Just putting my thoughts to what you said. I mean this in no way a mean way, I just feel you have miss informed him on some stuff due to, most likely, as you said, you lack of reading anything but the FCBD issue and Brain Boy 0.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    In regards to PBS, I'm not really a fan. If you're looking for a nice, simple superhero universe, with self-contained single series, yet a cohesive universe, this isn't really the place to go. Sure, it does all those things right, technically, but there's just not much of a shared universe to be had. There's only 3 ongoings at any given time, and if you're just not into one of them, you only have 2 to look forward to every month.
    PBS is currently growing, they are only 13 issues in at most, so they need time to grow. Each series is self-contained and they have stated that they will keep it that way, you will never have to read anything but lets say, X. If you wanted to just read X or any other title you could. The world/universe is still growing as well. But if you read every title and mini you can clearly see its one universe, things are currently happening which makes it such. Don't want to spoil but its for sure clearly a cohesive universe. Like I said, I am just correcting info here, most likely due to you not have read much.
    Also, like someone else said earlier, their superheroes aren't terribly original.
    Captain Midnight = Captain America
    X = Punisher/Rorschach
    Brain Boy = Tony Stark with telekinesis
    Skyman = Falcon
    I will give you Skyman as Falcon, they do have some in common, but they also have difference. The characters themselves are different, even if there "powers" are the same.
    Cap Midnight only has two things in common with Cap America. One the name Cap haha. And two the man from a different time. Midnight is a inventor, runs his own company and makes tech that was and is far beyond our time. Nothing like Cap other then those to things, And I guess they both have red and blue haha.
    I am lost on the Tony Stark/Brain Boy thing, other then both of them being kinda cocky, they are nothing alike. But there are a lot of cocky characters in the comic world.
    X has a similar dark theme as the what you said, but his story is nothing like their stories.

I think while some may share a theme or power its the stories that shine though. There are a ton of heroes that have same powers or styles of fighting, but the as long as the characters or stories are different, then thats all that matters. And Dark Horse does that.
    Now I have a few questions for you.
    I really enjoyed the FCBD issue but it's not going to go anywhere any time soon...
    What do you mean by this? It is a one off story that was done. I mean it gave of more info on the Big bad of there series. I am just lost on what you mean haha.
    Comments now.
    I realize that it's a 0 issue and not a #1, but if Dark Horse is gonna release it for free, this is going to be my first exposure to him.
    Well to be honest the issue 0s were in DHPs first, in short stories that became a whole, so some parts of them are not the best.
    And the PBS webseries... is boring as f***. It's 5 (very short) issues in and I was struggling to stay awake.
    While its up there for everyone, its really only made for those who read all of the series or people who want to know more about the big bad. Its hard to read just one series and the free webseries, but I mean. Its free. What do you want lol. They were not going to do a 100 page story with like 5,000 or so panels.
    It seems like Dark Horse just isn't putting much effort into it, which is sad because they're about to lose Star Wars and the Whedonverse can't hold up the publisher by itself.
    Dark Horse has a lot planed for the line, lots more is coming. I have been at comic-con all weekend and learning a lot about whats to come. Even though they don't have a panel I talked to Scott and the writers and artist themselves and is growing still. Barb Wire is returning for one. They are putting a effort into the line. Even if there is just three ongoings. Also they are not going to die or anything. The Whedonverse will keep them alive. Plus all they have all those creator own stories, and they are bringing back the Alien and Predator stuff. I don't think losing start wars is that big of a lose for them.

I hope none of this came out mean, I did not mean it as such and its hard to "talk" or give the tone you want to online sometimes haha, so forgive me if it sounded that way. I was simply trying to inform you and others of some stuff (cause like you said, you have not read much), comment on a few things and ask some questions. You have your opinion, and while I would hope it will change if you read more stuff I would never try to force you to change.

I would try Ghost starting with issue one of the ongoing, its way different then the issue 0 and the mini series. Its more action and its way better. The stuff starting with issue 5 with Chris and Dan and Jan have been wonderful as well.

But you can just get away with reading X. That works fine. Dark Horse has always stated that if you just want to read any of the titles, you would never have to read the others. I think they are going to do cross overs in the style of 2 Past Midnight. Where it's its own title that you can pick up if you want.

Duane is a great writer, so I for sure hope you stick with X. And please give issue 1 of the Ghost ongoing a try. You don't have to know much from the mini, it kinda explains that all in the story.
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 07-27-2014 at 12:38 AM.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Just putting my thoughts to what you said. I mean this in no way a mean way, I just feel you have miss informed him on some stuff due to, most likely, as you said, you lack of reading anything but the FCBD issue and Brain Boy 0.
    Hey, no problem! I love arguing, and it's not like getting mad on the internet does any good. Plus, this thread is literally about PBS vs. Valiant.

PBS is currently growing, they are only 13 issues in at most, so they need time to grow. Each series is self-contained and they have stated that they will keep it that way, you will never have to read anything but lets say, X. If you wanted to just read X or any other title you could. The world/universe is still growing as well. But if you read every title and mini you can clearly see its one universe, things are currently happening which makes it such. Don't want to spoil but its for sure clearly a cohesive universe. Like I said, I am just correcting info here, most likely due to you not have read much.
    Where's the crossovers though? Are we ever gonna see X in a Brain Boy book? Or Cap Midnight in X's book? I'm not a fan of crossovers invading other comics, but when done well they're kind of a necessity in superhero universes. But, like I said: "Sure, it does all those things right, technically."

Cap Midnight only has two things in common with Cap America. One the name Cap haha. And two the man from a different time. Midnight is a inventor, runs his own company and makes tech that was and is far beyond our time. Nothing like Cap other then those to things, And I guess they both have red and blue haha.
    I am lost on the Tony Stark/Brain Boy thing, other then both of them being kinda cocky, they are nothing alike. But there are a lot of cocky characters in the comic world.
    X has a similar dark theme as the what you said, but his story is nothing like their stories.
    It's still not really fair for me to be comparing characters, but I have now read BB0, Midnight 1, and X 1. I'm getting a very strong Captain America vibe from Captain Midnight. And it looks like X has literally the exact same motives and personal moral high ground as Rorschach. And maybe I could be wrong but it felt like I was literally reading a younger version of Stark with Brain Boy. Obviously, this could all change and like I said earlier, don't take my opinion on PBS too seriously.
    The main reason I brought the comparisons up is because it's extremely hard to find any comparisons to most of Valiant's characters. I'll give you Harbinger/X-Men (although the big difference is that it's very much a story of 1 person, rather than the whole team) and Shadowman/Deadman/Ghost Rider, but everything else is very original. The only way to explain X-O is by pulling from multiple superheroes (Supes, GL, IM, and Cap). Bloodshot pulls from super-soldiers and healing-factors, but he has the whole memory-wipe thing going on. A&A, Q&W, and Rai are almost completely original superheroes.

I think while some may share a theme or power its the stories that shine though. There are a ton of heroes that have same powers or styles of fighting, but the as long as the characters or stories are different, then thats all that matters. And Dark Horse does that.
    I concur. I hope PBS can shine through these comparisons.

What do you mean by this? It is a one off story that was done. I mean it gave of more info on the Big bad of there series. I am just lost on what you mean haha.
    It was just a one-shot. It got me really excited for the future of PBS but it looks like these characters aren't going to meet eachother again for a long time. Obviously, I could be wrong, but like you said earlier, every PBS title is completely separate from the others. It's like it's teasing us with this awesome story, and then just going back to more of the same. I mean, it's not really a huge issue. It was a one-shot I really liked, and I wish I could see more stuff like that, more often.
    Well to be honest the issue 0s were in DHPs first, in short stories that became a whole, so some parts of them are not the best.
    No, they really aren't. I can't stand origin one-shots, and the fact that that is what Dark Horse is trying to promote to readers who don't know anything about the line boggles my mind. Why not have free #1's like Valiant does or something?

While its up there for everyone, its really only made for those who read all of the series or people who want to know more about the big bad. Its hard to read just one series and the free webseries, but I mean. Its free. What do you want lol. They were not going to do a 100 page story with like 5,000 or so panels.
    Of course I don't want a long-ass free story. All I'm saying is it sucked. Just like the 0 issues, why is this what DH is promoting? Why are the crappiest comics the ones they want people to read first?
    Also, just because it's free doesn't mean it can't be good.

Dark Horse has a lot planed for the line, lots more is coming.
    Then it should be getting people excited! There's very little promotion going on, and for the foreseeable future (October), nothing huge is happening. Honestly, I hope this line does well, because I love superheroes above all things, but it's just not doing anything to get me interested. For example, since 2012 Valiant has had the Valiant 1st's initiative twice, and two easily jump-on-able events. I understand that PBS really just started but it needs to try something to get new readers. Project Black Sky literally means 3 different things (superhero line, free webseries, and a story arc), which is super confusing for new readers.
    Also they are not going to die or anything. The Whedonverse will keep them alive. Plus all they have all those creator own stories, and they are bringing back the Alien and Predator stuff. I don't think losing start wars is that big of a lose for them.
    I'm sure they won't die, but it is a little nerve-wracking. Serenity and Star Wars (with Buffy a little ways down) outsold everything else by A LOT every month.

I hope none of this came out mean, I did not mean it as such and its hard to "talk" online sometimes, so forgive me if it sounded that way. I was simply trying to inform you and others of some stuff (cause like you said, you have not read much), comment on a few things and as some questions. You have you opinion, and while I would hope it will change if you read more stuff I would never try to force you to change.
    I use 4chan. You're not going to offend me. I love talking about comics, no matter how heated the discussion gets. Thanks for engaging with me.

I think they are going to do cross overs in the style of 2 Past Midnight. Where it's its own title that you can pick up if you want.
    This could be a game-changer. I'm excited for issue 1.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_duck
    I wanted to mention... Just download all the Valiant #1's on Comixology. They're free, and unlike PBS's 0 issues, they do a much better job at getting new readers interested. (Even the brand new Rai #1 is free)
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 07-27-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Hey, no problem! I love arguing, and it's not like getting mad on the internet does any good. Plus, this thread is literally about PBS vs. Valiant.
    Good point haha. But I like to use the term debate.

Where's the crossovers though? Are we ever gonna see X in a Brain Boy book? Or Cap Midnight in X's book? I'm not a fan of crossovers invading other comics, but when done well they're kind of a necessity in superhero universes. But, like I said: "Sure, it does all those things right, technically."
    Two Past Midnight it one that was done. I think thats how cross overs will be done. And we are getting a common villain popping up in X and Captain Midnight as well as Blackout. So its something crossing over.

It's still not really fair for me to be comparing characters, but I have now read BB0, Midnight 1, and X 1. I'm getting a very strong Captain America vibe from Captain Midnight. And it looks like X has literally the exact same motives and personal moral high ground as Rorschach. And maybe I could be wrong but it felt like I was literally reading a younger version of Stark with Brain Boy. Obviously, this could all change and like I said earlier, don't take my opinion on PBS too seriously.
    The main reason I brought the comparisons up is because it's extremely hard to find any comparisons to most of Valiant's characters. I'll give you Harbinger/X-Men (although the big difference is that it's very much a story of 1 person, rather than the whole team) and Shadowman/Deadman/Ghost Rider, but everything else is very original. The only way to explain X-O is by pulling from multiple superheroes (Supes, GL, IM, and Cap). Bloodshot pulls from super-soldiers and healing-factors, but he has the whole memory-wipe thing going on. A&A, Q&W, and Rai are almost completely original superheroes.
    Right I think a lot of Superheroes pull from other heroes. And with Might the theme is very close, but how it is done and who the characters are is whats different. Same goes for X. Also X has a healing factor of some kind as well.

I concur. I hope PBS can shine through these comparisons.
    To me and others they have so far.

It was just a one-shot. It got me really excited for the future of PBS but it looks like these characters aren't going to meet eachother again for a long time. Obviously, I could be wrong, but like you said earlier, every PBS title is completely separate from the others. It's like it's teasing us with this awesome story, and then just going back to more of the same. I mean, it's not really a huge issue. It was a one-shot I really liked, and I wish I could see more stuff like that, more often.
    I think next year is going to start a huge "event" like thing where there will be team up and cross overs. I can't be sure. But we are entering the next "phase" of Black Sky is how Dark Horse put it. So I think when the next phase starts so will the team ups. In someways. I am thinking it will be set up like 2 Past Midnight with a different title added for the event.

No, they really aren't. I can't stand origin one-shots, and the fact that that is what Dark Horse is trying to promote to readers who don't know anything about the line boggles my mind. Why not have free #1's like Valiant does or something?
    I am not sure why those are the free issues, but the issue ones are only 99 cents online and they have dollar versions out. (with Ghost getting one soon as well). So its not to costly to try them out. Issue 0s are more reprints then one-shots, and they were requested reprints too. By fans.

Of course I don't want a long-ass free story. All I'm saying is it sucked. Just like the 0 issues, why is this what DH is promoting? Why are the crappiest comics the ones they want people to read first?
    Also, just because it's free doesn't mean it can't be good.
    Well I find some of them good, the current one and the "Fantastic 4" one is great as well. They said X will be getting one at some point or a connection to X will show up at one point. So that one could be good.

Then it should be getting people excited! There's very little promotion going on, and for the foreseeable future (October), nothing huge is happening. Honestly, I hope this line does well, because I love superheroes above all things, but it's just not doing anything to get me interested.
    I am thinking NYCC will have a lot to get fans excited. They are just not ready to announce anything this comic-con. And lots of people other then me are getting excited lol.

Project Black Sky literally means 3 different things (superhero line, free webseries, and a story arc), which is super confusing for new readers.
    The free webseries is named after the company Black Sky in the world. While it is a title of the superhero line and the free webseries, its the name of there "world". The rest of the stuff just follows. Its not a name of a story arc, its the name of there world which is named after a in world company. So they names the superhero line after there world, which is named off of a company. I know it sounds confusing. But its not something to think hard about. The main thing fans need to know is there is a company called Project Black Sky in the stories they are making. The rest is just a title.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they won't die, but it is a little nerve-wracking. Serenity and Star Wars (with Buffy a little ways down) outsold everything else by A LOT every month.
    Ya Dark Horse has a lot of good titles still. And more to come. But I understand. Its a shame they lost Star Wars, but they are not to blame lol. Hate Disney :P haha.

I use 4chan. You're not going to offend me. I love talking about comics, no matter how heated the discussion gets. Thanks for engaging with me.
    Still I try to keep it a light debate, and not a heated argument lol. Its just how I am. So I like to make it known.

This could be a game-changer. I'm excited for issue 1.
    It already came out. It came out in a TPB format. And it was great! You should check it out.

Anyways I have to wake up in....oh god 4 hours...for Comic-con again. So I will check this later tomorrow.
    Pulls:

Two Past Midnight it one that was done. I think thats how cross overs will be done. And we are getting a common villain popping up in X and Captain Midnight as well as Blackout. So its something crossing over.
    That's fairly cool. I guess time will tell.

Well I find some of them good, the current one and the "Fantastic 4" one is great as well.
    Yea, still gotta disagree with you there.

The free webseries is named after the company Black Sky in the world. While it is a title of the superhero line and the free webseries, its the name of there "world". The rest of the stuff just follows. Its not a name of a story arc, its the name of there world which is named after a in world company. So they names the superhero line after there world, which is named off of a company. I know it sounds confusing. But its not something to think hard about. The main thing fans need to know is there is a company called Project Black Sky in the stories they are making. The rest is just a title.
    I completely understand what PBS is, but I can see this being a huge problem for new readers who are trying to get interested.
    I was trying to quote this io9 article: "It's a name, an event, a label, and even a comic or two."

Ya Dark Horse has a lot of good titles still. And more to come. But I understand. Its a shame they lost Star Wars, but they are not to blame lol. Hate Disney :P haha.
    Well no matter what I'm always gonna keep buying Buffy, Angel & Faith, and Serenity so it's no sweat off my back.

It already came out. It came out in a TPB format. And it was great! You should check it out.
    Damn, it's only $10. I'll probably download it, read a few pages, and then see if I'm interested enough to buy it.

It should be known that I'm not anti-PBS or anything. Hell, I really want it to succeed. Being the home of all things Whedon, I cannot abide Dark Horse failing. I just think Valiant is much better than PBS though.
    Anyway, have fun at Comic-Con!

EDIT: Ok, so I've read more PBS...
    X (issue 1): This was almost on the verge of being too violent (which could be a great thing), but it was okay. Nothing special. I'd like to pick up the trade, but I think I'll read the next issue before I decide.
    EDIT3: Read issue 2.. this is absolutely f***ing fantastic. At first I thought X was just a crazy dude, but it's becoming increasingly gratifying watching him kill these terrible people (Jesus, what does that say about my mental state). I'm finding the relationship between X and the girl very intriguing, and the story is ramping up fast. But now I feel bad about downloading more... I'll just have to wait and buy the trade I guess.
    Captain Midnight (issue 1): I'm not a fan of all of these stories coming from the perspective of someone else who's not the main character. With that being said, the Shark lady was pretty awesome, and Midnight's first appearance was epic as f***. Like X, I'll definitely need to read the next issue before making a buy.
    EDIT2: Read issue 2.. yea this isn't really for me. It's good, but not great. I don't really like Midnight's character. He's kind of a dick.
    Ghost (issues 0 and 1[2014]): I really REALLY enjoyed this. I'm definitely picking up the first trade (dat based Phil Noto), and I might subscribe to the ongoing. It was very impressive. I love Ghost's personality.. quiet, stern, and introverted, yet compassionate. Not to mention, the action was outlandish and awesome.
    Brain Boy (issue 0 and 1[2014]): I hated issue 0... now onto issue 1! It was pretty fun. Brain Boy is a really fun character and I'm really digging the building mystery and action. The cover for #2 with BB jumping out of the airplane looks so intense. I still can't really get into the art. It worked in The Movement, because it was supposed to feel kind of dirty. In this, it seems to be representative of something completely opposite from what the character and story are trying to get across. It's not terriible by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely not my favorite. I really want to like this (I have some sort of connection with BB, idk why), but it's definitely not the first thing on my list.
    The Occultist (issue 1): I really liked this as well. It's so refreshing seeing a young adult superhero. You never see this! It's always either teens or late-20's/30's. His powers are completely awesome, and the opening mission with the baby demon things was heartbreaking. I'll probably get this trade too at some point. Sorry, I realize I'm writing progressively less and less words as I edit.. I'm getting tired lol.
    A running theme I'm finding with these books is that it never reveals their power-set first thing. I'm still not entirely sure what any of these people's super powers are... It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to not be flying blind.
    Now I'm just missing Skyman! Is there anything else?

EDIT4: (I was gonna save this post for later, but I can't hold it in)
    Well congratulations, I guess. I'm now a PBS fan. Don't get me wrong, I am still completely in love with Valiant, over any other publisher and that's probably not going to change any time soon. And I still highly recommend Valiant over PBS for cajun_duck, but these PBS books are actually pretty damn cool.
    Books on my buy list (from immediate to eventually): Ghost Vol. 1, X Vol. 1, Occultist Vol. 1, Brain Boy Vol. 1
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 07-27-2014 at 05:06 AM.

BANNED

Hey, no problem! I love arguing, and it's not like getting mad on the internet does any good. Plus, this thread is literally about PBS vs. Valiant
    So i was right. Hahaha.

Good point haha. But I like to use the term debate.
    I'm so laughing with both of your posts. It's like a vs battle.

But to make it sound nicer, I prefer this activity as "brainstorming"

You are both awesome! And i"m so glad cajun_duck created this thread.

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

X is a once in a blue moon book that captures the essence of being a vigilante and mixes it with a wonderful story and slick but gritty art. It's a true gem and my favorite book being published today. If you pick anything from PBS, pick X. Captain Midnight is a close second, but man is it ever so close. Captain Midnight features amazing supporting characters and a man out of time story better than any I've read before it. It's a true gem, as well.

Dear Ferg and Powertorch: Get a room...lol

Nice debate there.

Oops...double post.

Damn, it's only $10. I'll probably download it, read a few pages, and then see if I'm interested enough to buy it.
    Ya, you should try it. Its by the same writer as X and it is a great cross over story.
    It should be known that I'm not anti-PBS or anything. Hell, I really want it to succeed. Being the home of all things Whedon, I cannot abide Dark Horse failing. I just think Valiant is much better than PBS though.
    Oh I never thought you were. Just as I am not anti Valiant. I am in fact getting Doctor Mirage and maybe something else if I can find some with a good jumping on point.
    EDIT: Ok, so I've read more PBS...
    X (issue 1): This was almost on the verge of being too violent (which could be a great thing), but it was okay. Nothing special. I'd like to pick up the trade, but I think I'll read the next issue before I decide.
    EDIT3: Read issue 2.. this is absolutely f***ing fantastic. At first I thought X was just a crazy dude, but it's becoming increasingly gratifying watching him kill these terrible people (Jesus, what does that say about my mental state). I'm finding the relationship between X and the girl very intriguing, and the story is ramping up fast. But now I feel bad about downloading more... I'll just have to wait and buy the trade I guess.
    Haha please do buy the trade. I love X, Duane is one of the best writers today. And he writes this style very well. And he is a great character maker. I am glad you liked it more after 2!
    Captain Midnight (issue 1): I'm not a fan of all of these stories coming from the perspective of someone else who's not the main character. With that being said, the Shark lady was pretty awesome, and Midnight's first appearance was epic as f***. Like X, I'll definitely need to read the next issue before making a buy.
    EDIT2: Read issue 2.. yea this isn't really for me. It's good, but not great. I don't really like Midnight's character. He's kind of a dick.
    Well you can't like everything haha. But I am happy you gave it a shot! It gets better, but sometimes characters are not for people. So its no biggy. At least you tried.
    Ghost (issues 0 and 1[2014]): I really REALLY enjoyed this. I'm definitely picking up the first trade (dat based Phil Noto), and I might subscribe to the ongoing. It was very impressive. I love Ghost's personality.. quiet, stern, and introverted, yet compassionate. Not to mention, the action was outlandish and awesome.
    Yay! This made my day! Wait till you get to the new ongoing series, she gets so much more kick ass. The action gets great and so does Elisa. Chris is a great writer and every artist they have on this title is great! I am so glad you enjoyed Ghost!!!
    Brain Boy (issue 0 and 1[2014]): I hated issue 0... now onto issue 1! It was pretty fun. Brain Boy is a really fun character and I'm really digging the building mystery and action. The cover for #2 with BB jumping out of the airplane looks so intense. I still can't really get into the art. It worked in The Movement, because it was supposed to feel kind of dirty. In this, it seems to be representative of something completely opposite from what the character and story are trying to get across. It's not terriible by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely not my favorite. I really want to like this (I have some sort of connection with BB, idk why), but it's definitely not the first thing on my list.
    Understandable that style is not a hit for some people. The story is great though. And the artist does not stay if I am right, for the 2nd Brain Boy mini series. He does do the covers though I think. Maybe. I will have to check on that. I could be wrong.
    The Occultist (issue 1): I really liked this as well. It's so refreshing seeing a young adult superhero. You never see this! It's always either teens or late-20's/30's. His powers are completely awesome, and the opening mission with the baby demon things was heartbreaking. I'll probably get this trade too at some point. Sorry, I realize I'm writing progressively less and less words as I edit.. I'm getting tired lol.
    Ya Occultist is may be my 3rd favorite PBS title. He is a great young hero. I hope he returns for more minis soon. He has had 2 I think! Tim Seeley is busy, but he seems to really love this character.
    A running theme I'm finding with these books is that it never reveals their power-set first thing. I'm still not entirely sure what any of these people's super powers are... It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to not be flying blind.
    Everyone's powers are listed at projectblacksky.net, hit the menu and each character has a page with info on there powers. Ghost can also go into other dimensions, which we learn later. They will add more character as the get them out, I hope. We shall see once Barb Wire comes out.
    Now I'm just missing Skyman! Is there anything else?
    Blackout has a mini series that has its last issue coming out soon. Which also has a backup for a character called King Tiger. And after that you will have read every PBS character currently. Skyman is alright. A lot of people did not care for it. But let me know what you think.
    EDIT4: (I was gonna save this post for later, but I can't hold it in)
    Well congratulations, I guess. I'm now a PBS fan. Don't get me wrong, I am still completely in love with Valiant, over any other publisher and that's probably not going to change any time soon. And I still highly recommend Valiant over PBS for cajun_duck, but these PBS books are actually pretty damn cool.
    Books on my buy list (from immediate to eventually): Ghost Vol. 1, X Vol. 1, Occultist Vol. 1, Brain Boy Vol. 1
    Yay! I am glad haha. And for sure! Everyone puts there favorite first. That never changes. I say he should check out both haha. But we shall see. Glad to see Ghost has a high spot on your list! Makes me happy!

I am going to read more Valiant too. I may read Bloodshot. Cause I like the writer. But I am for sure checking out Doctor Mirage. Any other good ones that I can join in?

Glad to see another PBS fan!
    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Dear Ferg and Powertorch: Get a room...lol

Nice debate there.
    This is our room now :P. haha.
    Pulls:

This is our room now :P. haha.
    I giggled

Ya, you should try it. Its by the same writer as X and it is a great cross over story.
    Yup, I downloaded it, read the first 5 pages and realized how awesome it was. Definitely going to pick it up at some point. It's super exciting seeing X, Cap, and Ghost working on the same mystery from different perspectives (I assume that's where this story is going, either way it's awesome seeing them all together).

Haha please do buy the trade. I love X, Duane is one of the best writers today. And he writes this style very well. And he is a great character maker. I am glad you liked it more after 2!
    Yea, like Bslythegamerguy said, it really feels like it could become a once-in-a-lifetime book. Something like doesn't happen very often. What's the skinny on new creative teams? Is their any talk of getting new writers, or do they generally stay on the same book for quite a while?

Yay! This made my day! Wait till you get to the new ongoing series, she gets so much more kick ass. The action gets great and so does Elisa. Chris is a great writer and every artist they have on this title is great! I am so glad you enjoyed Ghost!!!
    After a sleep, I decided that I really liked X more. It's just more my style (cause Ghost's a girl. Eww.. ) There's totally a $1 sale on DH digital for Ghost.. I liked trades better but I'm definitely about to buy 6 issues there. It's not DRM-free is it?

Understandable that style is not a hit for some people. The story is great though. And the artist does not stay if I am right, for the 2nd Brain Boy mini series. He does do the covers though I think. Maybe. I will have to check on that. I could be wrong.
    I was talking about Freddie Williams II who did the current mini. I like R.B. Silva, who did the first mini (Psy vs. Psy), quite a lot. He fits the character and tone so much better. I want to get the trade with that mini, but it's only 3 issues and it comes with that god awful 0 issue.

Blackout has a mini series that has its last issue coming out soon. Which also has a backup for a character called King Tiger. And after that you will have read every PBS character currently. Skyman is alright. A lot of people did not care for it. But let me know what you think.
    Read the first issue of Blackout. I really don't have anything good or bad to say about it. Not sure about Skyman. I'm not the biggest fan of Fialkov. However, I've always liked the concept of the simple superpower of flight.

Oh I never thought you were. Just as I am not anti Valiant. I am in fact getting Doctor Mirage and maybe something else if I can find some with a good jumping on point.

I am going to read more Valiant too. I may read Bloodshot. Cause I like the writer. But I am for sure checking out Doctor Mirage. Any other good ones that I can join in?

Glad to see another PBS fan!
    Dude. Duuuuuuude. First of all, are you interested in trades? Because each Vol. 1 is only $10, and it gets very cheap on Amazon. If you've looking for monthly floppies, get:
    Doctor Mirage 1
    The Delinquents 1, starts in August (Crossover with Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody. It's bound to be one of the funniest books you've ever read)
    Rai 1-4 (Just started in April. 4-issue arc is ending in August, and picking back up in December)
    X-O Manowar #0 and Unity #0 come out in October.

Is there any other smaller superhero universe I can get into? I see that you read Dynamite, Zenoscope, and Archie. I'm not too interested in Dynamite's old-school stuff, but if you have any recommendations I might try them out.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 07-27-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers