Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Chalk that up to the most difficult part of being a writer -- making some of the concepts and conventions relatable to your reader. We've seen with other writers (not to be named here) that if you make things too esoteric, abstract or metaphorical, you'll lose the audience. Sometimes no matter how cringe-worthy or campy, there has to be a door, and said door has to have hinges and a doorknob that functions like a door with hinges and a doorknob, even if it is really a wormhole portal to the 666th realm of Hades. What we hope for is that the greater arc of the story helps us to ignore some of the more mundane elements and plot holes. Every story, no matter how epic, has them.
    I get it. I really do, but this is an important device that is stopping one of the earths most powerful beings from going nuts. This device is being kept in an apartment with no security whatsoever, by the very person who needs it no less? There is making things relatable for the reader and then flat out abusing suspension of disbelief and this is the latter. Like I said earlier if Bob is in a pocket dimension inside a pocket dimension then bravo. I noticed that "Misty" was doing a Wakandan salute so maybe he is really in a lab in Wakanda? The thing is I'm not invested enough in the Sentry as a character to care enough. The second issue better be a barn burner.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I have reviewed the first issue in a spoiler free review here:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=3DhQ20TRxQ0

I have also done a spoiler discussion here:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=pTrMuRK-Bj4

I'm probably the biggest Sentry fan, you'll ever meet, but I still made sure to be unbiased. I also mention some of the critique, which occured in the last few posts here - and rightfully so, because it is valid critique of the plot. Obviously, I still can't recommend the book enough and trust me, when I say that the next issue will be even better. I've seen the first previews and I believe to know where the story is heading. And I approve of that direction. Jeff Lemire won't disappoint.

how many TPBs does it take to get up to speed on the character?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    The only one you really need to read is the original 2000 Jenkins mini. Age of the Sentry would be a bonus.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-29-2018 at 05:50 PM.

It's an issue 1: so I'd argue none.

If you find yourself completely lost on a #1 then the writer has failed you. If it looks interesting, jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    It's an issue 1: so I'd argue none.

If you find yourself completely lost on a #1 then the writer has failed you. If it looks interesting, jump in.
    I'd say that's fair. Lemire does a pretty good job of bringing you up to speed on who the Sentry is if you've never read a Sentry comic before. All you really need to know about him is right on the first page.

Age Of The Sentry shows his adventures back in the day, and the stories are written and drawn like comics were done back then. It's a pretty fun series all around. I can't say for sure,
    but I hope one of Lemire's goals is to add consistency to his back-story and abilities. Right now, it's confusing as to what is canon with the character, because Bendis disregarded a lot of
    things and added others in Dark Avengers (which was still a good read).

Bendis, disregard things that weren't his idea?

SURELY, YOU JEST.

how many adventures has Sentry had on other planets?

Seems like he's more or less set up to have cosmic level powers, but I don't recall him ever being used in that world. Seems like that might help some of the 'he's just TOO powerful' criticisms that are always present with Earth stories.

He's been off world a few times, most recently in Uncanny Avengers and he was floating in space in his own mindprison when Doctor Strange came to get him.

That said, 'throwing him into the cosmic real where he can really let loose' is a common suggestion, but I think in doing so you're making the same mistake that Bendis did by focusing too much on power and not enough on the fact that the power is contained within a very human person, a very frail person.

One of the most powerful men on earth is a cook at a greasy spoon diner with a beard of sorrow and a dad bod. That's kinda awesome, in my view.

On that...

While it seems like a no-brainer, Sentry isn't really an easy fit just because he technically could be a part of those sorts of stories.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'm guessing if Jekyll and Hyde really existed that Hyde would go out of his way to arrange for Jekyll to constantly turn into him. Plans and schemes that Jekyll didn't know about. How much of an independent actor is the Void? Would he/it do such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm guessing if Jekyll and Hyde really existed that Hyde would go out of his way to arrange for Jekyll to constantly turn into him. Plans and schemes that Jekyll didn't know about. How much of an independent actor is the Void? Would he/it do such a thing?
    So, rather than answer this with a lengthy explanation of the various takes on the Void's existence we've gotten over the years, I'm just going to say: So far it seems that Lemire's take is closest in spirit to the Jenkins mini (judging just by one issue), where it springs into existence as an independent actor born of Bob's subconscious when he becomes the Sentry again. The Void there is able to think and act independently and the Sentry has little or no control over what it does. Lemire mentioned he sees Bob, the Sentry, and Void as three different people with different memories.

So Sentry not going to space is Reynolds hold on Sentry, because Robert doesn’t want to leave Earth, and that’s what’s keeping Sentry here? Because Reynolds is Earthbound? It does sound like Void and Sentry are restricted by Reynolds desires here.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    So Sentry not going to space is Reynolds hold on Sentry, because Robert doesn’t want to leave Earth, and that’s what’s keeping Sentry here? Because Reynolds is Earthbound? It does sound like Void and Sentry are restricted by Reynolds desires here.
    Well, they're restricted by the fact that Bob's not letting them exist right now.