Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The kids are going to come back as enemies to give Wally even more angst,aren't they?
    Last edited by king81992; 06-27-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Wally has a history of being selfish and not listening to reason.
    So does Barry. The fact that you willingly choose to dismiss it as bad writing doesn't make it any less true. It was literally Barry's selfishness that led to everything in this arc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    So does Barry. The fact that you willingly choose to dismiss it as bad writing doesn't make it any less true. It was literally Barry's selfishness that led to everything in this arc.
    The only speedsters who weren't varying degrees of selfish were Jay, Max Mercury and Impulse.

Both Barry and Wally contributed to this whole fiasco.

No, he doesn't. All of Barry's selfishness that comes from this arc came from Williamson. The only other thing (Flashpoint) wasn't really selfish because Barry was trying to fix something Eobard did.

I find it incredible that every criticism of Wally I make either turns into a debate about what Barry does or a Barry vs Wally debate. I'm not taking the bait anymore.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The only speedsters who weren't varying degrees of selfish were Jay, Max Mercury and Impulse.
    The cynic in me says, "only because they've been conveniently out of action."

Just wait until they're active again.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The kids are going to come back as enemies to give Wally even more angst,aren't they?
    Maybe one of them will...and it would be Jai. As long ago as 1997, THE LIFE STORY OF THE FLASH ominously prophesied the tragedy of Wally West's son.

Wally has a history of trusting people who killed his unborn children?
    Desperation will cause people to do things they would never usually do, and Wally has been pushed to the point of desperation. For better or worse, for me, what Wally is doing reminds me of Superman's initial response in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE when Clark realized that Luthor had his mother Martha's life in his hands, and would brutally murder her unless Superman confronted Batman.

"Nobody stays good" rings a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    No, he doesn't. All of Barry's selfishness that comes from this arc came from Williamson. The only other thing (Flashpoint) wasn't really selfish because Barry was trying to fix something Eobard did.

I find it incredible that every criticism of Wally I make either turns into a debate about what Barry does or a Barry vs Wally debate. I'm not taking the bait anymore.
    Just because he was righting a wrong doesn't make it unselfish. The way he went about it he didn't' pay much (any?) mind to the potential negative consequences of his actions, which is selfish.

Emotionally distraught people can act selfishly, and the Flashes have always been more emotional and less "above it all" then your average hero. I don't consider it a real flaw to either character.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Just because he was righting a wrong doesn't make it unselfish. The way he went about it he didn't' pay much (any?) mind to the potential negative consequences of his actions, which is selfish.
    1. Let's say that Thawne's manipulation didn't involve any member of Barry's family at all, but pretty much screwed up the rest of the timeline. Barry would still have been obligated to try to fix it, if he could. As it so happened, the murder of Barry's mother was the catalyst for his actions, but even if it weren't, it was still the action he was obligated to take. He couldn't pass on that obligation.

2. According to Pre-FLASHPOINT time-travel rules, Barry's actions would NOT have caused any negative fallout. Other than Thawne, nobody knew that the fundamental rules of time-travel had been changed (due to Thawne's influence).

Back in the Silver and Bronze Ages, the Flashes were often way more cavalier about manipulating time because, during those years, they could afford to be.

Last edited by Buried Alien; 06-28-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    1. Let's say that Thawne's manipulation didn't involve any member of Barry's family at all, but pretty much screwed up the rest of the timeline. Barry would still have been obligated to try to fix it, if he could. As it so happened, the murder of Barry's mother was the catalyst for his actions, but even if it weren't, it was still the action he was obligated to take. He couldn't pass on that obligation.

2. According to Pre-FLASHPOINT time travel rules, Barry's actions would NOT have caused any negative fallout. Other than Thawne, nobody knew that the fundamental rules of time-travel had been changed (due to Thawne's influence).

Back in the Silver and Bronze Ages, the Flashes were often way more cavalier about manipulating time because, during those years, they could afford to be.

All fair points, its true that he had know way to know the rules had changed, which is why I'm generally opposed to the story and hope that this is the last "flash timeline fuckery" story for a while.

Flash should be about how awesome science is and how it leads you to new discoveries, not weigh down the characters with "great responsibility"

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

So, there are even more Speed Forces now? *groan*

Seriously, I thought the Speed Force worked great as a concept when first introduced by Waid but this is getting even dumber than the "emotional spectrum" over in Green Lantern.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post

Seriously, I thought the Speed Force worked great as a concept when first introduced by Waid but this is getting even dumber than the "emotional spectrum" over in Green Lantern.
    Wait . . . multiple speed forces?
    Are they based on season or houses of the zodiac or something else equally silly?
    (Haven't read any of this, but it almost sounds like it's turning out dumber than I ever thought possible!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post

Well, they aren't all "Speed" Forces. The Speed Force is the Speed Force and it deals with, unsurprisingly, speed. Apparently, however, the universe also has a "Sage Force" and "Strength Force" (wasn't all this previously encompassed in the Power of SHAZAM?).

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Apparently, however, the universe also has a "Sage Force" and "Strength Force"

Oh....oh no.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yeah, I just couldn't bring myself to say "Strength Force", let alone "Sage Force". Even the names are moronic.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.