Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Batman: I Am Bane

Just finished reading Batman: I Am Bane and I'm kinda shocked at how many of my friends told me this was a bad book. I'm not too sure what the general consensus was but I thought it was really well handled and done. King is really doing some great work right now and its weird that he seems to be underrated.

Anyway I wrote a review on the book here - Batman: I Am Bane Review

Let me know if im in the wrong and what your thoughts were on the storyline.

Cheers
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Deffinition View Post
    Just finished reading Batman: I Am Bane and I'm kinda shocked at how many of my friends told me this was a bad book. I'm not too sure what the general consensus was but I thought it was really well handled and done. King is really doing some great work right now and its weird that he seems to be underrated.

Cheers
    Because it is a bad book. It has a stupid plot. Of course vilains are going to follow this well Batman's orders. Of course they are getting this easily into Santa Prisca. Of course Bane is getting fooled this easily. And Then I don't even remember what happened next. No King handles things really bad.

Incredible Member

Like when Bane broke Batman’s back and he magically reset it and was fine. Or when Batman beat Bane after getting his ass beat with just a head butt? Or Batman, who friends with a ton of superheroes, gathered a group of villains to break him into Banes stronghold? This entire arc and to be honest, his entire damn run has been complete and utter ****.

Spectacular Member

hahahahah damn
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Cheers
    Well, I thought it was pretty good. I liked the parallels between Batman, Bane, and their mothers, and Batman's statement of purpose at the end - that he's driven to help first - was very powerful. There's some problems, but I think it's great. You could post more thoughts in our King Batman thread.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

King was losing me with I Am Suicide but I am Bane was so much better finally get to see Bane on the main bat book.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I love King’s Batman, and I Am Bane is one of my favorites stories from his run. I don’t know about a general consensus, in cbr opinions are pretty divided, the comic does well in sales and in goodreads and comicbookroundup has good reviews, but at the end of the day the important thing is how you felt about it. If you are enjoying King’s run I invite you to check a thread about analysis and enjoyment of King’s run made by millernumber1
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Incredible Member

It's fantastic.

Spectacular Member

will definitely check the analysis, and the parallels are fantastic, watching bane pretty much left to rot physically whilst bruce is left the same emotionally was amazing and I love how both of them used their pain to grow. Seeing it side by side was awesome and I think King has a good eye for relating characters to one another which is what made this run stand out for me

Deffinition Patreon

will definitely check the analysis, and the parallels are fantastic, watching bane pretty much left to rot physically whilst bruce is left the same emotionally was amazing and I love how both of them used their pain to grow. Seeing it side by side was awesome and I think King has a good eye for relating characters to one another which is what made this run stand out for me
    Tangentially, I've heard that Bane: Conquest will have a Batman/Bane confrontation this week, so I'm pretty excited to see what Dixon has to say there!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Tangentially, I've heard that Bane: Conquest will have a Batman/Bane confrontation this week, so I'm pretty excited to see what Dixon has to say there!
    Well one of the issues with i AM Bane for some who know Bane did not believe Bane would care for his mother sinc ein Post-Crisis he thought little of her due her dying. I stopped reading Bane: Conquest but why not see whether Chuck Dixon still has something to offer.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Well one of the issues with i AM Bane for some who know Bane did not believe Bane would care for his mother sinc ein Post-Crisis he thought little of her due her dying. I stopped reading Bane: Conquest but why not see whether Chuck Dixon still has something to offer.
    How sad - I've really been enjoying Conquest!

As for Bane not caring about his mother - I'd say that's almost certainly self-deception. Bane does love his old teddy bear, after all.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

As for Bane not caring about his mother - I'd say that's almost certainly self-deception. Bane does love his old teddy bear, after all.
    I guess Bane is only interesting for me if he's opposing Batman. Though given how they are going to square off again I want to see how it plays out. Maybe I guess stilll even though his teddy bear contains a secret knife there must be more to bane than meets the eye.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Conquest has been a lot of fun, wouldn't expect any less from Bane's dad's Dixon and Nolan. Much better characterization than in I Am Bane.