Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Derrington's pretty significant!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevink31593 View Post
    This seems to exist mainly to attract new readers. I fully support this.

The cover seems based on the 100 page giants from the 70s:

So what do you do when you have folks who don't care for Batman, Superman or WW?

In other words when do you use someone else who might attract folks beyond the same set of tired folks who aren't doing it now.

When does Harley, Nightwing, Tim, Duke and the rest get a shot? Because if this is being done to attract readers-they might need to see what is keeping them away in the first place.

Because Manga and Ms Marvel aren't having trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So what do you do when you have folks who don't care for Batman, Superman or WW?

In other words when do you use someone else who might attract folks beyond the same set of tired folks who aren't doing it now.

When does Harley, Nightwing, Tim, Duke and the rest get a shot? Because if this is being done to attract readers-they might need to see what is keeping them away in the first place.

Um. Batman Giant features Hush (which stars a lot of the Batfamily), Nightwing (n52), Harley Quinn (n52), as well as the Bendis Batman story. Superman Giant features Terrifics (Outsiders cast), and Green Lantern (Johns/van Sciver). Teen Titans Giant features Super Sons and Sideways (brand new character). And Justice League of America features Flash (n52) and Aquaman (n52). It's a pretty big lineup of titles.

Or are you only talking about the new stuff?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Bnedis confirms that Nick Derington is the artist for the story

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...-revealed.html

Oh I like that. Has a noir type feel to it.

Isn't it reasonable to assume that a large majority care about Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman since they're DC's three biggest characters?

Even Marvel started out their digests with their big characters (Spider-Man, Iron Man, Cap, Thor etc.).
    DC is likely trying to use this to interest new readers in their major characters, which I think is reasonable, but I don't think this is where DC is trying to appeal to people who aren't interested in said major characters.

That seems like more of what they're going for with Vertigo and the New Age of Heroes.
    Harley and Nightwing are on the cover for the Batman magazine though, and it's reprinting their books as well.

There are still places like comic book stores as well as book stores like Barnes & Noble that may offer tpb collections with those other characters you mentioned.
    But if you're trying to get established in a place like Walmart, the best bet is to push your major guns, the properties that are already getting exposure through movies and such.

Amazing Member

The other elephant in the room with this is what will the print run be?

If this ends up being a low print run in only select walmarts, all the #$%^ speculators will buy this **** up, slab it and try to flip it on ebay, squashing out the casual/average collector as well as defeat the entire purpose of the book to begin with... draw in new readers.

They need to either bring back spinner racks or have some sort of promotional display or end cap for these kinda of things... ( like the current Jurassic Park displays currently up in most stores) Otherwise these things will prob get stuffed on a bottom rack next to all the baseball cards and it'll be a lost opportunity.

Has anyone figured out how to use the Wal-mart store finder thingy to determine whether any of their Wal-marts are selling these yet? The DC website says you can do it, but I can't figure it out.

Saw them at my Walmart yesterday, but forgot to grab one to flip thru. Will be there Sunday morning, will try and remember to look at them.

Thankfully, my close Wal-mart had their display up today. I got the second to last copies of everything except Teen Titans, so it looks like these are selling! Hopefully they get restocked so demand stays high!

spoilers:
    The story, One More Chance, by Palmiotti, art by Zircher, is very pretty, though Zircher draws two different types of Batsymbol on Batman's chest. There's the standard Gordon on the roof scene, the two page recap of his parent's murder, a kidnapping case with eerie parallels to Bruce's parent's death (of a deaf girl). Batman investigates, and finds that the trail leads to crime alley, only to be faced with a car full of Batman haters on a collision course towards him.
    end of spoilers

Zircher's Batman is probably the best art of the three I got (Batman, Superman, and JLA/Wonder Woman), even with the inconsistent costume design. I kind of can't wait to see the Bendis stuff, though!

Flipped thru them today mixed bag of pre new 52, new 52, and new age of heroes stories, between the 4 books.

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Flipped thru them today mixed bag of pre new 52, new 52, and new age of heroes stories, between the 4 books.
    Yup! I wish there was a bit less n52 and a bit more pre-Flashpoint stuff, but it's a very nice collection!

Amazing Member

Judging from the # of cumdumpsters who instantly threw these up on ebay today. These may be selling out, but chances of this significantly boosting readership is probably going to fail.. which means the entire experiment will probably be a bust...

Fortunately I managed to my copies but we want readership to GROW.. and not have speculators kill it..

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbruns View Post
    Judging from the # of cumdumpsters who instantly threw these up on ebay today. These may be selling out, but chances of this significantly boosting readership is probably going to fail.. which means the entire experiment will probably be a bust...

Fortunately I managed to my copies but we want readership to GROW.. and not have speculators kill it..
    While I deprecate the language, man, that's a filthy trick people are pulling. I'm seeing sets of four being sold for 50 bucks. Why? For just 48 pages (about two comics) of entry level, fun meat and potatoes comics? Just let the kids (and me ) buy them!

Amazing Member

I hesitated on the choice of words, I decided it was fitting and an accurate representation of what I think.

Generally speaking.. I am not against people making a buck or Ebay.... however its like the adult cross-checking a kid in a department store ripping a tickle-me Elmo out of their hand because its the last one. Scalpers and flippers should stick to the variants and exclusive releases imo..... let DC grow the market so we still have a market in the future.