Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Anyone have any info if Gal is making efforts to improve her acting?

for WW 2. I know to some or even many it was perfect for WW1, but I dare disagree (although it was not terrible; it wasn't fantastic either). I obviously want her to succeed, but I will be rather "nervous" if a lot of people really thought that was A1 acting. However, there were some good moments and most of them were not speaking in my opinion, like just her reaction to the victims of war.

Thoughts.

TT
    Last edited by Titan Theo; 06-22-2018 at 01:29 AM.

BANNED

That is generally what actors do...

No idea, but working regularly with first-class dramatic directors like Patty Jenkins or strong actors like Ewen Bremner or Chris Pine is likely a help in and of itself (or for the new movie, Kirsten Wiig and Pedro Pascal). She did act a lot better in Wonder Woman compared to Justice League.

But yes, I hope she has taken some drama lessons focused on voice work.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

My take is that Gal's somewhat wooden acting in her movie was perfect for that first movie. It helped sell Diana's "fish out of water, wide-eyed innocence" angle. I felt she seemed much more loose and natural in BvS and Justice League and she'll probably be better in this movie too.

Has she made efforts to improve? Dunno. I certainly hope so, because there are very few actors out there who I think absolutely don't need to improve in at least some areas. Still, I'm not very worried about it.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    No idea, but working regularly with first-class dramatic directors like Patty Jenkins or strong actors like Ewen Bremner or Chris Pine is likely a help in and of itself (or for the new movie, Kirsten Wiig and Pedro Pascal). She did act a lot better in Wonder Woman compared to Justice League.

But yes, I hope she has taken some drama lessons focused on voice work.
    I'm with kjn. Patty is great for drama and character work. Just working with her and listening to her directions will be a big opportunity for Gal to improve.

My thought is that, though you seem to be coming from a sincere place, OP, your thread title is hilariously shady! 😆😆😆
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    My thought is that, though you seem to be coming from a sincere place, OP, your thread title is hilariously shady! ������
    I agree. I assume the OP’s intentions were good, but the concern isn’t really specific. What area(s) does Gal need to improve on? I’m not saying she doesn’t need to, nor am I saying her acting is A1. However, that begs the questions, are there any examples of “A1” acting in comic book movies? That implies that A1 level acting is practically a necessity for a comic book movie but is that really the case?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    My thought is that, though you seem to be coming from a sincere place, OP, your thread title is hilariously shady! ������
    Ditto. It's a loaded question, like "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I agree. I assume the OP’s intentions were good, but the concern isn’t really specific. What area(s) does Gal need to improve on? I’m not saying she doesn’t need to, nor am I saying her acting is A1. However, that begs the questions, are there any examples of “A1” acting in comic book movies? That implies that A1 level acting is practically a necessity for a comic book movie but is that really the case?
    Depends a little on what is meant with A1 acting, but in Wonder Woman I'd say that Ewen Bremner and Chris Pine gave examples of that. And in Logan you had Patrick Stewart. Now, you don't need that acting ability for every comic book role, or even comic book movie, but it will make for better movies.

Gal Gadot has shown that she is really good at facial expressions and body work. She might play out a bit much, but it fits the character, unlike say Batman. (I really liked the way she and Chris Pine were like actors in old silent movies after the meeting at the British war council.) She also has good comedic timing, and can do interpersonal drama as long as she is working with another great actor and with input from a good director. But she needs good people around her to help her shine, and she is not as strong when she has to talk and take the dramatic lead in a scene.

Which can cause problems with WW84, since Wonder Woman will be far more of a leader and agent than she was in the first movie.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Depends a little on what is meant with A1 acting, but in Wonder Woman I'd say that Ewen Bremner and Chris Pine gave examples of that. And in Logan you had Patrick Stewart. Now, you don't need that acting ability for every comic book role, or even comic book movie, but it will make for better movies.

Gal Gadot has shown that she is really good at facial expressions and body work. She might play out a bit much, but it fits the character, unlike say Batman. (I really liked the way she and Chris Pine were like actors in old silent movies after the meeting at the British war council.) She also has good comedic timing, and can do interpersonal drama as long as she is working with another great actor and with input from a good director. But she needs good people around her to help her shine, and she is not as strong when she has to talk and take the dramatic lead in a scene.

Which can cause problems with WW84, since Wonder Woman will be far more of a leader and agent than she was in the first movie.
    I can agree with that. The same scene you mentioned was one of my not-so-favorites from the movie, as well as her interaction with Chris after the townspeople were gassed. Her emotion seemed appropriate, but the execution seemed a bit over the top.

I also think she’s very good with faces and nonverbal expression. I also love her voice. There’s a natural sexiness that effortlessly oozes from her and I really enjoy the cadence and rhythm of her speaking. She definitely bounces well off others, and if she could improve on her delivery and execution of lines, I think that would be good.

Most importantly, I think she has potential to grow and has demonstrated that she has a bit of range to work with.

Fantastic Member

Default Not So Good Part

the parts where :

a) she argued about with Steve with the Generals in the stairwell lacked emotional passion and sounded rehearsed.
    b) losing it when Steve Trevor died, trying to look angry looked way to forced
    c) Antiope died and she expressed grief; seems rather forced

i actually disagree that her facial expressions are very good (at least while speaking), but I agree they were ok in many areas and really good especially in the non speaking parts, like watching the victims of war, facial fight scenes were good (probably from looking fierce from modeling). Her expression looking at Steve Trevor's photo at the end of the movie was very good (I did not see that with Antiope).

TT

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    the parts where :

a) she argued about with Steve with the Generals in the stairwell lacked emotional passion and sounded rehearsed.
    b) losing it when Steve Trevor died, trying to look angry looked way to forced
    c) Antiope died and she expressed grief; seems rather forced

i actually disagree that her facial expressions are very good (at least while speaking), but I agree they were ok in many areas and really good especially in the non speaking parts, like watching the victims of war, facial fight scenes were good (probably from looking fierce from modeling). Her expression looking at Steve Trevor's photo at the end of the movie was very good (I did not see that with Antiope).

TT
    A. That was a little offputting. Particularly that part when she tried to do that big blow-up about how Ares wouldn't allow an armistice to end WWI. Still, I didn't think it lacked passion. Her delivery was just kind of.....off.

B. I saw that as more anguish than anger. She was falling into despair and lashing out.

C. I completely disagree. It was hardly an Oscar-worthy performance, but I got a genuine sense of grief from Diana.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Wow. I couldn’t possibly disagree with you more, point by point. The things that you are listing as not so good are actually what I consider the greatest parts.
    Also, start to finish, there was not a moment where Gal Gadot was not Diana. She was Wonder Woman entirely. She made the movie what it is. She embodied the character in a way that I have not seen anyone do before. I would call her acting perfect in this movie. Absolutely wonderful.

And Al Pacino agrees with me:

https://batman-news.com/2018/06/24/a...man-gal-gadot/
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    for WW 2. I know to some or even many it was perfect for WW1, but I dare disagree (although it was not terrible; it wasn't fantastic either). I obviously want her to succeed, but I will be rather "nervous" if a lot of people really thought that was A1 acting. However, there were some good moments and most of them were not speaking in my opinion, like just her reaction to the victims of war.

Thoughts.

TT
    I'm hoping the writing is better and she doesn't come off as dim & childlike in the same way Thor was in his first movie. Being able to read an ancient language isn't a sign of intelligence it's a skill.

I thought Gal's acting, when perhaps it was poorer, was better than some of the lines she had to deliver.

Gal's acting > the script

Granted, I'm not a good judge of acting unless it's so bad like an unpracticed piece performed by non-actors on YouTube. But there's nothing in the movie that's particularly lacking.