Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

There were a few lines / scenes in Wonder Woman which I thought could have used another take or slightly more or different direction by Patty Jenkins. One which I found the most ... distracting was Diana's reaction to the bombed village. The whole "hands on either side of face, but gently so as not to smudge makeup or ruin hair" to show grief was quite formulaic. I would have expected a more ... guttural reaction from Diana given that she's relatively inexperienced with mortality and she was feeling pretty good about herself and her mission after saving the village. The fact that she'd spent time getting to know the inhabitants of the village also indicated a stronger emotional reaction was warranted.

I get that it's a delicate balance, because if Diana is too upset then people will criticise the character for being led by her emotions. But, it was one moment which didn't ring true to me for the character.

I think Gal Gadot has done more nuanced / subtle emotional work in some of her other roles, particularly Criminal (although I've only watched her scenes on YouTube). I imagine that we'll see a different take on Diana in 1984 as Patty Jenkins will want to show how the character has matured over the 70 odd years. Whether that version is closer to DoJ or Justice League remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I thought Gal's acting, when perhaps it was poorer, was better than some of the lines she had to deliver.

Gal's acting > the script
    Yeah, there were several real clunkers among the lines, especially on Themyscira and for Robin Wright.

I thought Gal's acting, when perhaps it was poorer, was better than some of the lines she had to deliver.

Gal's acting > the script

Granted, I'm not a good judge of acting unless it's so bad like an unpracticed piece performed by non-actors on YouTube. But there's nothing in the movie that's particularly lacking.
    I'm curious... can you name some examples?

(BTW, I am totally biased here, and I watch it daily, it's pretty much the background noise to my life now, so I have it pretty well memorized and everything sounds perfectly normal to me. So I really am curious.)
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Yeah, there were several real clunkers among the lines, especially on Themyscira and for Robin Wright.

(BTW, I am totally biased here, and I watch it daily, it's pretty much the background noise to my life now, so I have it pretty well memorized and everything sounds perfectly normal to me. So I really am curious.)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    There were a few lines / scenes in Wonder Woman which I thought could have used another take or slightly more or different direction by Patty Jenkins. One which I found the most ... distracting was Diana's reaction to the bombed village. The whole "hands on either side of face, but gently so as not to smudge makeup or ruin hair" to show grief was quite formulaic. I would have expected a more ... guttural reaction from Diana given that she's relatively inexperienced with mortality and she was feeling pretty good about herself and her mission after saving the village. The fact that she'd spent time getting to know the inhabitants of the village also indicated a stronger emotional reaction was warranted.

I get that it's a delicate balance, because if Diana is too upset then people will criticise the character for being led by her emotions. But, it was one moment which didn't ring true to me for the character.

I think Gal Gadot has done more nuanced / subtle emotional work in some of her other roles, particularly Criminal (although I've only watched her scenes on YouTube). I imagine that we'll see a different take on Diana in 1984 as Patty Jenkins will want to show how the character has matured over the 70 odd years. Whether that version is closer to DoJ or Justice League remains to be seen.
    And that scene was clearly a re-shoot (note her hair.) Where I thought her reaction was mostly great due to her face acting, I think a fall to the knees rather than the hands to the head, as you perfectly described, would have been better. Not sure why they re-shot it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post

I am not fond of the line about deserving, believing, and love. You know how there are scenes in a movie that are specifically shot for a trailer (the Avengers assembling in a circle comes to mind...)? I feel like that line she delivers to Ares sounds less like natural dialogue and more like a sound byte. No actress, IMO, could've saved that line. Just doesn't work for me.

Anyway, that's just one example.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I am not fond of the line about deserving, believing, and love. You know how there are scenes in a movie that are specifically shot for a trailer (the Avengers assembling in a circle comes to mind...)? I feel like that line she delivers to Ares sounds less like natural dialogue and more like a sound byte. No actress, IMO, could've saved that line. Just doesn't work for me.

That line is by far the most quintessentially Wonder Woman line ever uttered, though. And Gal, IMHO, delivered it perfectly.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Awwww.... that's one of my favorites! But I appreciate the response just the same. Perspective is such an interesting thing.

BANNED

Her going off about Ares being a bad man "we must stop Ares" and not being aware of her surroundings just seemed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    That line is by far the most quintessentially Wonder Woman line ever uttered, though. And Gal, IMHO, delivered it perfectly.
    Yeah, my opinion is pretty unpopular.

For analogy's sake, I'd say "I love everybody" is to "With great power comes great responsibility" as "It's not about deserve, it's about what you believe. And I believe in love," is to "But your father lived by a philosophy - a principal, really. He believed that if you could do good things for other people, you had a moral obligation to do those things! THAT'S what's at stake here; not choice...responsibility."

Everyone has a preferred way of saying essentially the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Two examples:

The exchange between Antiope and Menalippe right in the beginning of the movie, with "it looks very good / very good / how is she doing / she's good". It's zero information exchanged, among people who have known each other and fought together for a very long time.

The dialogue between Hippolyta and Antiope when Hippolyta discovers Diana's training also felt rushed. They made it work, but it felt that additional scripting work would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Two examples:

The exchange between Antiope and Menalippe right in the beginning of the movie, with "it looks very good / very good / how is she doing / she's good". It's zero information exchanged, among people who have known each other and fought together for a very long time.

The dialogue between Hippolyta and Antiope when Hippolyta discovers Diana's training also felt rushed. They made it work, but it felt that additional scripting work would have been nice.
    Agree 100% on the first one. It never bothered me, but it sounds weird every time. And I still can never tell who they're talking about.

I thought they made Antiope and Hippolyta's conversation work perfectly though, with the sudden age-up and training scene.

Yeah, my opinion is pretty unpopular.

For analogy's sake, I'd say "I love everybody" is to "With great power comes great responsibility" as "It's not about deserve, it's about what you believe. And I believe in love," is to "But your father lived by a philosophy - a principal, really. He believed that if you could do good things for other people, you had a moral obligation to do those things! THAT'S what's at stake here; not choice...responsibility."

Everyone has a preferred way of saying essentially the same thing.
    But then it wouldn't have been a call back to what Steve said...

I thought Gal's acting was good - it didn't take me out of the movie at all. She seemed to readily embody the compassionate, impulsive, curious, intelligent, inexperienced, humorous, and noble parts of the character, amongst other aspects. Especially for the age and experience of the character in the film.

What'll be more challenging (and I think Gadot is certainly up for the challenge) is to portray a woman who has lived for decades secretly in the U.S. and/or has been around the world in the decades since WWI in the sequel. I'll definitely be looking for her to be absolutely more comfortable with everyday life and understanding Patriarch's World's culture (despite being critical of it and it's treatment of women and minorities.) It'll be interesting to see how she's written and how Patty has Gal portray her with this time jump...and what finally prompts her to take action again during the 80s after spending half a lifetime clandestinely in the background.

How has she handled her identity and staying hidden? Has she made friends with anyone? That sort of thing.

Her reaction to the village being bombed was the only time I side-eyed her acting during the movie. Otherwise I thought she did an okay job.

One of my favorite scenes, other than the hair-flip scene during the No Man's Land setpiece, is when she confronts Steve after the meeting with Sir Patrick and the other dudes. Her "so, you were lying" line read just felt so natural to me.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York