Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    King can actually write a decent story when he doesn't let his obsession with trauma and broken heroes take over the plot.
    Well, I like King's take on trauma and struggle...but there are some rough times for Clark ahead....
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

weldein

They're not strictly done-in-ones, Mart, but the Superman, Batman, and Flash ones, particularly, are extremely episodic. There's an overall story arc they're all hanging on, but each 12-page segment has its own setup and conclusion. (Batman tends to conclude more with a cliffhanger, but only after resolving the main thrust of the previous situation he was in.)

Wonder Woman and Teen Titans are more traditionally continued stories. Swamp Thing has been mix-and-match; a one-parter followed by a two-parter so far, mycoles and I'm not sure what's in #4. But Seely seems to want it to be episodic too -- evoking Moore's American Gothic run, but using different horror tropes as springboards.
    Last edited by weldein; 09-19-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: To make it better

FINALLY! I managed to get Superman Giant #15 (I really wish King hadn't fallen behind), and I really, really loved Up in the Sky #11! It really utilized the themes of Superman that King's been going for, and King's poetic dialogue style, to be effect. And Kubert's art was really strong, with Hope's thick inks and Anderson's rich colors!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Parts 10 & 11 were some of the best of the series. As good as Parts 1 & 2 were. Even if #11 relied on the overused "stop the leader/controller and the army collapses" trope.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Parts 10 & 11 were some of the best of the series. As good as Parts 1 & 2 were. Even if #11 relied on the overused "stop the leader/controller and the army collapses" trope.
    They were really good ones! I can't wait till we have #12 and we can rank all the parts and see how the story all pieces together (though #11 showed a lot of it!)

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

In a way, Tom King kind of understands Superman better than most people at DC. Even Batman was forced to concede he was better here. I also like how the Wal-Mart books in general are an anthology. I always thought Superman should have some sort of anthology book for people who might not like what's going on in the main books.
    Assassinate Putin!

Yeah I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how well he has a handle on Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    In a way, Tom King kind of understands Superman better than most people at DC. Even Batman was forced to concede he was better here. I also like how the Wal-Mart books in general are an anthology. I always thought Superman should have some sort of anthology book for people who might not like what's going on in the main books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how well he has a handle on Clark.
    I love how each story, no matter how wacky, is all about the theme that Superman Never Gives Up. It's so inspiring! And much as Kubert isn't my favorite, he's turning in really powerful pages here, with the strong inks of Sandra Hope, and especially the pure colors of Brad Anderson. I'm so happy this is a series, and I'm going to be very tempted to double dip on the trade next year!

Yeah his depictions of Metropolis in particular appeal to me greatly. He draws it as a sci-fi city which is how it should be imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah his depictions of Metropolis in particular appeal to me greatly. He draws it as a sci-fi city which is how it should be imo.
    There's a very fun Silver Age feeling to the writing and art which shines through, I think! I especially loved the "Superman splits into Clark and Kal" story - King told me at AwesomeCon this year that his son told him to use that idea he'd had a long time ago when he was trying to think of the new chapter.

Astonishing Member

I have a request for those who are currently following the series on the original Walmart books. I am not sure if this is a spoiler or not, so I'll use the spoiler tag just in case.

spoilers:
    I may be wrong, but I've read that in one of the latest chapters Brainiac is involved in the story. I am talking about the Tom King/Kubert story.
    In case of positive response, could anyone please tell me what version of Brainiac he is using and/or post a photo of it? Thank you very much.
    end of spoilers
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I have a request for those who are currently following the series on the original Walmart books. I am not sure if this is a spoiler or not, so I'll use the spoiler tag just in case.

spoilers:
    I may be wrong, but I've read that in one of the latest chapters Brainiac is involved in the story. I am talking about the Tom King/Kubert story.
    In case of positive response, could anyone please tell me what version of Brainiac he is using and/or post a photo of it? Thank you very much.
    end of spoilers
    I believe that was actually the Steve Orlando story, not the King story. I bought the first one of those, but didn't buy the second because I didn't enjoy the first one that much.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    The short answer is no. It was a side story. They've done a couple issues that had nothing to do with the King story. That was one of them.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Ok, thank you.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Latest issue was great! I liked the second story the best although the first one tugged at my heartstrings. Having recently reread Alan Moore’s “Jungle Line” this Man and Superman story reminded me of Moore. No surprise given King has namedropped Moore as one of his biggest influences. The story also reminded me of Vision which I really love in particular.