Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I loved this series! Every issue seemed like a love letter to Superman and highlighted why Superman is so good, amazing, hopeful, awesome, strong (both in power and mentally), impossible, etc.

Hopefully, there will be a sequel.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Damn Good final issue.

My favorite parts:
    spoilers:
    not only didn't Supes kill the sick guy in the previous issue, he even found for him an impossible cure. And Batman's quote: we needed help, and he is Superman.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    Damn Good final issue.

My favorite parts:
    spoilers:
    not only didn't Supes kill the sick guy in the previous issue, he even found for him an impossible cure. And Batman's quote: we needed help, and he is Superman.
    end of spoilers
    Holy **** I didn’t even catch that! Man that’s a great moment, I was wondering who that guy was that Supes stopped to go see, completely forgot he was the same person from the previous issue.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    Damn Good final issue.

My favorite parts:
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I agree. It retroactively fixed that issue of the series, which I was initially frustrated with.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I actually thought the Darkseid thing was pretty neat tension and a good use of the character in a medium where he is always forced to lose.

For the unique challenges of the Wally world format, Batman Universe was a complete blast by comparison. I'd like to see King try again in the future, with more to say. I.E. a story that is a story and not a meta statement. I already know "what Superman means, bro." (all credit to Vordan because without trying to be dismissive I think that is the greatest critique of modern stories). With Up I'm gonna re-read all in one sitting, but I had to put the last issue down after a few pages because I can't really be more bored by "I'm gonna break the unbreakable sir."

On Kubert here though... I'll just always love his work and at the very least King gave him exactly what I want to see him draw.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I actually thought the Darkseid thing was pretty neat tension and a good use of the character in a medium where he is always forced to lose.

For the unique challenges of the Wally world format, Batman Universe was a complete blast by comparison. I'd like to see King try again in the future, with more to say. I.E. a story that is a story and not a meta statement. I already know "what Superman means, bro." (all credit to Vordan because without trying to be dismissive I think that is the greatest critique of modern stories). With Up I'm gonna re-read all in one sitting, but I had to put the last issue down after a few pages because I can't really be more bored by "I'm gonna break the unbreakable sir."

On Kubert here though... I'll just always love his work and at the very least King gave him exactly what I want to see him draw.
    I think forcing Superman into a Kobyashi Maru is contrary to what Superman should mean, so I appreciated that King cheated there.

I think you have an interesting point. I actually really like commentary on what a superhero "means" - both in Batman and Superman. I found both the Batman and Wonder Woman stories a bit facile, while the Superman story felt engaging every month.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I like the idea in that it instead asks the reader who Superman is, or what he means. I can say I'm quite jaded though as Superman to me is like a composite of hundreds of stories. So something weird and inconclusive within reason is more intriguing to me than an entry level statement. For what it's worth though I already think King's overall statement is better than what I thought it would be from the first issue. I actually have been buying but sort of lapsed into skimming after I lost my physical copy of that, because it probably is better as a whole.

Astonishing Member

Kubert's art - just wow.

I want to get this when collected. It sounds quality Superman story.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I want to get this when collected. It sounds quality Superman story.
    Definitely worth it! Let us know what you think when you do - I think it's out in April.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Definitely worth it! Let us know what you think when you do - I think it's out in April.
    really? awesome!

should I tell my comicbook shop about it and order it?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

really? awesome!

It basically explores different aspects of superman. King doesn't just hand over victories to superman and he doesn't just make him take 'L' either. Everything feels earned and in character. It even explores superman-the athlete,which i am thankful for.That too in a way that fits(i hate the 'torquasm whatever its called' ) . 'consequences' are not undervalued. Everything feels earned.

really? awesome!

I would definitely say yes!

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It basically explores different aspects of superman. King doesn't just hand over victories to superman and he doesn't just make him take 'L' either. Everything feels earned and in character. It even explores superman-the athlete,which i am thankful for.That too in a way that fits(i hate the 'torquasm whatever its called' ) . 'consequences' are not undervalued. Everything feels earned.
    King through the story doesn't have Superman figure out the impossible because all of those things turn out to be possible. Superman has the power to break the chains so he doesn't have to really work through it but just use his powers. Superman's modern obstacle in racing the Flash is the speed force, but it's out the window here. I mean credit for King throwing his own guy, Batman, into the pile but my problem was that it didn't feel earned. The whole League is just used to "put Superman over" with them all just breaking and giving up in the face of generic rock em sock ems, while Batman all but give thanks to Space Jesus. Superman is the best hero because he doesn't stop punching. Even if it somehow seemed like a logical strategy to intimidate Superman with the sheer number of goons who can't really harm him, we already saw him push past his limits as a brawler in the second issue fight so for readers there's no tension. The situation from last issue is solved by revealing that he found an outstandingly plain solution off panel and didn't face any relevant consequence. Basically it was like,
    "heh heh... would you LIE to save a life?"
    "No (but yes, that's a lie)"
    "K"

I don't get the comparison to Torquasms Vo or Rao.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    King through the story doesn't have Superman figure out the impossible because all of those things turn out to be possible. Superman has the power to break the chains so he doesn't have to really work through it but just use his powers. Superman's modern obstacle in racing the Flash is the speed force, but it's out the window here. I mean credit for King throwing his own guy, Batman, into the pile but my problem was that it didn't feel earned. The whole League is just used to "put Superman over" with them all just breaking and giving up in the face of generic rock em sock ems, while Batman all but give thanks to Space Jesus. Superman is the best hero because he doesn't stop punching. The situation from last issue is solved by revealing that he found an outstandingly plain solution off panel and didn't face any meaningful consequence. Basically it was like,
    "heh heh... would you LIE to save a life?"
    "No (but yes, that's a lie)"
    "K"

I don't get the comparison to Torquasms Vo or Rao.
    It's hard for writers to acknowledge the impossible with characters like superman because of there existing some do's and don'ts. Him acknowledging his 'fall' for lieing itself is enough for me. There by saying that there are certain things 'impossible' for superman. He can't kill. He can't save lives without lieing, many a times. Finding a cure cannot be a journey either. because of the 'one shot' nature of the book nor is it part of the question posed. Question is simple. Does Superman have limitations and contradictions or is he simply perfect? Yes, he does and he isn't perfect being. A perfect being wouldn't need to lie. A perfect being might grant you your request for death, if you are suffering. Superman can't . Superman's morality his limitation. Question was answered .And This is'nt serialised. The connection itself(alien) is basically something you have to pay attention to otherwise you will miss it. The alien was just given a happy ending. It was either that or the alien lives on suffering from whatever he was. Either way, story had moved on from that alien and so had superman. As for working, the race and boxing match issue both had him get put in a situation where he is the underdog. I don't think it's implied that speed force isn't a factor. I mean, speed force existed from the moment barry created it according to the current lore and it permeated everwhere/everywhen. It was goku-esque or all might style i am going to try really hard moments to go past previous perceived limit('go beyond plus ultra' ). That's all it takes for one to feel a level of relatablity and me to feel he broke a chain in himself .no, superman is the best hero because he makes time to go on a Fools quest to save a girl out there in space somewhere and talks to her. That was the message for me. League, the robots and alien were mere side quests with lesser priority with robot being lowest. For other heroes these might be the main quests,not the side quest. He saved a girl, he just happened to punch a robot and saved the world while doing that. This trivialising of 'main quest' and the struggles of it as just side quest level difficulty makes superman great. Treatment of herculean tasks like breaking an unbreakable chain like an afterthought by superman and his great struggle in answering questions of an inquisitive girl, explaining how his powers work to her Is what makes superman great. King just decided to give a happy ending to everyone involved.

Superman isn't a martial artist. He shouldn't be put into that category. He can be an olymipian, a strong man, a boxer. but an asian style martial artist. Sorry, he just doesn't fit. Whatever is called martial art is basically mimicking Eastern martial arts and maybe even parodying it. He just isn't that kind of character. The character doesn't follow bushido, sun tzu, lao tzu... Etc or any martial or non martial philosophies of the east. It's basically, just latching on to something that's cool.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-07-2019 at 02:14 AM.