Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Don't remember where he said it, but he said that a lot of the concepts he's introducing in Batman Universe will be showing up and being fleshed out in his other works like Superman and the new imprint using DC characters.

Also he recently said that he'll be announcing some stuff at NY Comic Con, and before that he said that the project he's doing with Gleason will be announced very soon, so putting two and two together it's possible it'll be at NY CC.

King calls Superman his "White Whale" in the sense that it's the project he most aspires to do and do right. It's no wonder that he sprinkles in so much Superman-like stuff into his work. And the idea that Sanctuary is both built by Kryptonian tech, its robots are modeled after Ma, Pa, and Lana, and the masks are direct homages to the oldest Superman shield are all pretty clear signs of his love for the character.
    Yes, I remember Bendis saying that, but I thought that was more about concepts, rather than him writing Batman Universe to be in continuity with the rest of his work. Similar to how him writing J. Jonah Jameson would have similar concepts, but not be the same character, as Perry White. (Brought to mind by the way Perry in King's Superman seems similar to JJJ )

I'm hopeful that Gleason and Bendis's new book will be awesome! I really like Gleason's art.

I do think King loves Superman. I think we'll have to wait and see if he's really good at him.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yes, I remember Bendis saying that, but I thought that was more about concepts, rather than him writing Batman Universe to be in continuity with the rest of his work. Similar to how him writing J. Jonah Jameson would have similar concepts, but not be the same character, as Perry White. (Brought to mind by the way Perry in King's Superman seems similar to JJJ )
    To my knowledge, he said he'd be introducing actual organizations and such in the DCU (he's also doing this in Action and Superman) that would ripple out, so at the very least that will be a carry over.

I'm hopeful that Gleason and Bendis's new book will be awesome! I really like Gleason's art.

I do think King loves Superman. I think we'll have to wait and see if he's really good at him.
    Any thoughts on what the Bendis and Gleason project might be? A Jon Kent Superboy book that lets Bendis work with the Legion was my first idea, but honestly I don't know.

So far King has yet to write a bad story with Superman as a main character in it. Hope he gets his shot soon. He says he might be done monthly books for a while after Batman, so I'm guess his "white whale" Superman story will be either a Black Label thing or a 12 issue run similar to MM. Though he did say his feelings on the monthly grind could change with time, so who knows?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

To my knowledge, he said he'd be introducing actual organizations and such in the DCU (he's also doing this in Action and Superman) that would ripple out, so at the very least that will be a carry over.

Any thoughts on what the Bendis and Gleason project might be? A Jon Kent Superboy book that lets Bendis work with the Legion was my first idea, but honestly I don't know.

So far King has yet to write a bad story with Superman as a main character in it. Hope he gets his shot soon. He says he might be done monthly books for a while after Batman, so I'm guess his "white whale" Superman story will be either a Black Label thing or a 12 issue run similar to MM. Though he did say his feelings on the monthly grind could change with time, so who knows?
    I mean, even introducing a new character (as the next issue promises to do) and that character appearing in Bendis's main DCU work doesn't necessarily mean they're in continuity with each other. But I think you're right that it's going to be a bit of a blurry line.

No clue, sadly, but I'm definitely excited to hear what it is!

I think, since he has 2 years left on Batman, it's hard to really say what he'll do next. I personally hope he doesn't do any more twice a month comics, ever, though!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think, since he has 2 years left on Batman, it's hard to really say what he'll do next. I personally hope he doesn't do any more twice a month comics, ever, though!
    Why? Is King's current workload that exhausting?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    He's a reliable yet divisive chart-topper in the same sense Dan Slott on ASM was. Good at moving the needle, but is unpopular with the loyalists.

I think the schedule doesn't allow him to setup and payoff elements as well as his stuff needs to to work.

Well, Bendis' Batman is totally in continuity.

Bendis: "WOW! today was like a wednesday! what a lot of fun! thanks for all the #walmartbatman love. @NickDerington & @Dragonmnky take a huge bow! so much more to come. & yes, the story is in continuity, which makes next chapters new character FIRST APPEARANCE a real thing. #Hmmm #comics"

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...64907132493824
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Well, Bendis' Batman is totally in continuity.

Bendis: "WOW! today was like a wednesday! what a lot of fun! thanks for all the #walmartbatman love. @NickDerington & @Dragonmnky take a huge bow! so much more to come. & yes, the story is in continuity, which makes next chapters new character FIRST APPEARANCE a real thing. #Hmmm #comics"

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...64907132493824
    Hmmm, I don't think this is a good idea, but good info!

Double shipping was brutal on Tomasi and Gleason. And King is also writing Mister Miracle, Heroes in Crisis, and Walmart Superman.

BANNED

Preview and Synopsis for Part Two:

“UP IN THE SKY PART 2: JUST LUCK”

A little girl in Gotham was kidnapped by alien invaders, and before Superman can take up the intergalactic trail to find her, a tragedy closer to home reminds him what life is worth.
    https://www.dccomics.com/comics/supe...perman-giant-4

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Once again, Superman pushes the boundaries of impossible!

Wow, King legitimately just writes Superman as if he's just friendlier Batman but on a universal scale, and that means giving him insane "there's no way you can do this" moments like this. You'd think that'd be the norm for Superman as much, but it's usually not or the story is doesn't require it, so it's nice to just see it so clearly here. I can't wait to read this installment.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-05-2018 at 09:37 AM.

In the last panel Superman got that "come catch this fade" look on his face lol

But seriously, I really, really, really dig what I'm seeing of the upcoming chapters. King's Superman feels so damn flexible it's great! Like, it's so great to think that this is the same stuttering, Mr. Rogers sweater wearing dude who was too awkward to call his best friend.

Last edited by Superlad93; 10-15-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Got the second installment, and in a year packed for a change with great Superman stories, "Just Luck" might be my favorite. The only real competition that leaps to mind is...well, King's other Superman story in AC #1000.

Don't want to give any story details, but for what it's worth, this definitely reconfirms that Walmart Superman isn't in continuity the way Walmart Batman appears to be.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Got the second installment, and in a year packed for a change with great Superman stories, "Just Luck" might be my favorite. The only real competition that leaps to mind is...well, King's other Superman story in AC #1000.

Don't want to give any story details, but for what it's worth, this definitely reconfirms that Walmart Superman isn't in continuity the way Walmart Batman appears to be.
    I read through the story, and I don't quite see the non-continuity stuff - can you give a spoiler-tagged clue?