Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Just revealed on Twitter that - whether an interlude from King and Kubert's story or a filler piece of it - Steve Orlando and Will Conrad are doing this month's Walmart Superman! Fingers crossed it's collected in Up In The Sky when it's released to stores in general.
    Buh-bye

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Just revealed on Twitter that - whether an interlude from King and Kubert's story or a filler piece of it - Steve Orlando and Will Conrad are doing this month's Walmart Superman! Fingers crossed it's collected in Up In The Sky when it's released to stores in general.
    Hmmm. That's a bit disappointing. I was hoping to get to the end of Up In The Sky sooner.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's really cool. I'd like to have that released as well as the first two months with the story from Palmiotti and Derenick.

Of course the first thing to address is probably how they're gonna do the collection and issues at the same time.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Is this a good story and art? When does it end? I don't have a walmart, but the concept of 100 pages sounds great. Or what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Is this a good story and art? When does it end? I don't have a walmart, but the concept of 100 pages sounds great. Or what is it?
    Most of it's reprints, but the first 12 pages of each issue are a new story. Most are the sort of stuff you'd expect to see in short tie-in comics you'd pick up somewhere at a Walmart quality-wise, but the Superman stories starting with #3 are a yearlong run by Tom King and Andy Kubert (with the exception of this Orlando/Conrad joint), Batman starting with #3 is by Brian Bendis and Nick Derrington, and the lead feature in Flash is by Gail Simone and Clayton Henry. While we don't know about the one-off type stuff, it was recently announced that the Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman yearlong stories will be getting released to comic book stores starting in July, in miniseries collecting two 12-pagers in each issue.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Most of it's reprints, but the first 12 pages of each issue are a new story. Most are the sort of stuff you'd expect to see in short tie-in comics you'd pick up somewhere at a Walmart quality-wise, but the Superman stories starting with #3 are a yearlong run by Tom King and Andy Kubert (with the exception of this Orlando/Conrad joint), Batman starting with #3 is by Brian Bendis and Nick Derrington, and the lead feature in Flash is by Gail Simone and Clayton Henry. While we don't know about the one-off type stuff, it was recently announced that the Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman yearlong stories will be getting released to comic book stores starting in July, in miniseries collecting two 12-pagers in each issue.
    thank you. I was interested in the original 100 pages book. Did you like the story by Tom King?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    thank you. I was interested in the original 100 pages book. Did you like the story by Tom King?
    There's one story that's quite bad in my opinion, but the rest of it has varied from really good to absolutely exceptional - their second chapter is my favorite Superman story of the last several years.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Orlando and Conrad's Superman story features Bibbo

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...page-giant-11/

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Orlando and Conrad's Superman story features Bibbo

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...page-giant-11/
    Haven’t been able to keep up with this since I moved, but I heard from a friend who quite liked what Orlando and Conrad did. Said it made him go digging to find the Silver Age issues where the main villain first appeared.

Anyone pick up the first collected issue today? I love part 2 a lot.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Can someone help me analyze and understand the second chapter. I believe I lost something.

What I got from it was that spoilers:
    Superman's mind being overwhelmed with the data, it interpreted it as an agonizing nightmare of Superman's fears, like the world's mortality and the nature of the never-ending battle. With Superman's determination, sense of duty and a bit of luck with him falling on Alice's strand of data waking him up.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Man_of_Tomorrow; 07-04-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Anyone pick up the first collected issue today? I love part 2 a lot.
    I was trying to follow it with the Walmart releases but my local Walmart was so sporadic about getting new copies that I eventually gave up. Decided to pick this first issue up and start over again. Honestly? I loved it, thought King did a great job. This is basically what Superman should be like, a mix of the mundane and fantastic. A child gets kidnapped but it’s by an interstellar kidnapper who uses Zeta beams. I love how Kubert draws Metropolis as well, has this very cool mix of Art Deco and sci-fi. Loved the bit about kids trying to imitate Superman, isn’t that based on real life adult fears about kids trying to imitate him? I recall reading something about that back when the Superman radio show first aired.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    Can someone help me analyze and understand the second chapter. I believe I lost something.

Superman's mind being overwhelmed with the data, it interpreted it as an agonizing nightmare of Superman's fears, like the world's mortality and the nature of the never-ending battle. With Superman's determination, sense of duty and a bit of luck with him falling on Alice's strand of data waking him up.
    end of spoilers
    That's what I got out of it.

I've listened to King talk about this series on several podcasts, and he's said he has two goals with each "part" (all of these issues will have two parts). 1) Every page is a new scene, and 2) the theme of every part is "Superman never gives up."

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I was trying to follow it with the Walmart releases but my local Walmart was so sporadic about getting new copies that I eventually gave up. Decided to pick this first issue up and start over again. Honestly? I loved it, thought King did a great job. This is basically what Superman should be like, a mix of the mundane and fantastic. A child gets kidnapped but it’s by an interstellar kidnapper who uses Zeta beams. I love how Kubert draws Metropolis as well, has this very cool mix of Art Deco and sci-fi. Loved the bit about kids trying to imitate Superman, isn’t that based on real life adult fears about kids trying to imitate him? I recall reading something about that back when the Superman radio show first aired.
    I think this was a really good start, and Kubert's art is really enhanced by Hope's inks and Anderson's colors.

The fear of kids imitating or believing Superman was real was from the George Reeves tv show, wasn't it? A kid pointed a real handgun at him? At least, that's what the legend is, and was put into the film Hollywoodland, with Ben Affleck as Reeves

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post

end of spoilers
    Essentially, yes. That's what I got from it. Also, Jor-El's boots are mismatched.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

King can actually write a decent story when he doesn't let his obsession with trauma and broken heroes take over the plot.