Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 201
  1. #166
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Latest issue was great! I liked the second story the best although the first one tugged at my heartstrings. Having recently reread Alan Moore’s “Jungle Line” this Man and Superman story reminded me of Moore. No surprise given King has namedropped Moore as one of his biggest influences. The story also reminded me of Vision which I really love in particular.
    I loved both stories this week. The first one is just pure King emotional payoff, and the second was pure King wackiness. He told me this year at a con that his son reminded him of this wacky idea when he was trying to figure out what to write for this issue, which I thought was a cute story.

    King is a huge devotee of Moore and Miller, and I think manages the better parts of both without a lot of their flaws. He has his own flaws, but not "writing to hear himself write" and "incredibly hilarious machismo".
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  2. #167
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I loved both stories this week. The first one is just pure King emotional payoff, and the second was pure King wackiness. He told me this year at a con that his son reminded him of this wacky idea when he was trying to figure out what to write for this issue, which I thought was a cute story.

    King is a huge devotee of Moore and Miller, and I think manages the better parts of both without a lot of their flaws. He has his own flaws, but not "writing to hear himself write" and "incredibly hilarious machismo".
    This whole series has been like a shorter All-Star Superman with King paying homage to all corners of Supes world while also showcasing his best attributes. I’m consistently pleasantly shocked with how well King has a grasp on Clark.

  3. #168
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This whole series has been like a shorter All-Star Superman with King paying homage to all corners of Supes world while also showcasing his best attributes. I’m consistently pleasantly shocked with how well King has a grasp on Clark.
    That's a really good point. I originally was comparing it to Snyder's Superman Unchained, which is technically in continuity, but doesn't really seem to touch anything enough to make it fit. Morrison, King, and Snyder all make their statements about Superman in these works - Morrison that Superman knows us as humans and that's why he loves us, Snyder that Superman isn't a god, he's just a guy who does his best, and King that Superman is the best part of us, and never gives up.

    Which, not at all coincidentally, is extremely similar to how each of them views Batman.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  4. #169
    Incredible Member tbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    704

    Default

    I am dropping this. An a story where he tries to make a space phone call to Lois on Earth? It did nothing for me. I didnt think it was funny or entertaining. The Rock story wasnt bad. But to me this issue was a dud.
    Favorite teams. Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  5. #170
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I am dropping this. An a story where he tries to make a space phone call to Lois on Earth? It did nothing for me. I didnt think it was funny or entertaining. The Rock story wasnt bad. But to me this issue was a dud.
    Sad to hear that. I wasn't the biggest fan of the Lois dying story, but I thought the phone call part was actually kinda cute.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  6. #171
    Spectacular Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    195

    Default

    I really want so see reactions to issue 5.

    The first half was daaaaaaark.
    The second was pretty forgettable.

  7. #172
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    I really want so see reactions to issue 5.

    The first half was daaaaaaark.
    The second was pretty forgettable.
    I wasn't the biggest fan of the Dark part - I feel like King likes writing no-win situations for Superman too often. The second half was sort of a "perfect day for Superman" - and even though it was spoilers:
    all a temptation rather than reality
    end of spoilers, I like to think that it's the way King envisions a normal day for Clark in general. The kind of thing we usually see at the beginning of an adventure, rather than in the middle/near the end.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  8. #173
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    I really want so see reactions to issue 5.

    The first half was daaaaaaark.
    The second was pretty forgettable.
    Aw I liked the second half! It reminded me of King’s recent Batman Annual which I also thought was great. The first half was one of the darkest Superman stories in recent memory without being over the top edgy or violent which I thought was perfect for Darkseid.
    spoilers:
    I personally believe Supes didn’t kill that guy which meant he broke his word which meant Darkseid still got one over him which I thought was a believable failure for Clark
    end of spoilers

    And damn did Kubert kill it on art:
    7EF67EB6-148E-44BC-8390-C9678D1C9DFA.jpg

  9. #174
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Aw I liked the second half! It reminded me of King’s recent Batman Annual which I also thought was great. The first half was one of the darkest Superman stories in recent memory without being over the top edgy or violent which I thought was perfect for Darkseid.
    spoilers:
    I personally believe Supes didn’t kill that guy which meant he broke his word which meant Darkseid still got one over him which I thought was a believable failure for Clark
    end of spoilers

    And damn did Kubert kill it on art:
    7EF67EB6-148E-44BC-8390-C9678D1C9DFA.jpg
    I liked the second half, too! That's a good connection to Batman Annual #4.

    I hope that you're version of Clark's failure is the true one. I think Superman doesn't care about someone else appearing to have power over him, as long as he does the right thing.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  10. #175
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I liked the second half, too! That's a good connection to Batman Annual #4.

    I hope that you're version of Clark's failure is the true one. I think Superman doesn't care about someone else appearing to have power over him, as long as he does the right thing.
    It works for me because spoilers:
    Supes is the kind of guy who will be bothered by the fact he broke his word even if it was to Darkseid, and Darkseid is a petty enough person that making Superman an oath breaker would please him enough to tell Supes where to find the girl.
    end of spoilers

  11. #176
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It works for me because spoilers:
    Supes is the kind of guy who will be bothered by the fact he broke his word even if it was to Darkseid, and Darkseid is a petty enough person that making Superman an oath breaker would please him enough to tell Supes where to find the girl.
    end of spoilers
    I also think Superman is a smart enough guy to know that. The idea that even though he has simple and good instincts doesn't mean he has to be stupid.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  12. #177
    Spectacular Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Very ambiguous issue.

  13. #178
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    Final issue is out and damn this miniseries might just be one of my favorite Superman stories of all time. It’s a very simple and straightforward tale about Superman’s ability to be a force for good, but it keeps you hooked with all the crazy stuff he gets up to, and I am very satisfied with how it ended. I LOVED the final issue where Superman gets asked all sorts of questions. My particular favorite was the Batman question and the question about Superman’s religious beliefs. King handled his answers to both of those PERFECTLY.

  14. #179
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Final issue is out and damn this miniseries might just be one of my favorite Superman stories of all time. It’s a very simple and straightforward tale about Superman’s ability to be a force for good, but it keeps you hooked with all the crazy stuff he gets up to, and I am very satisfied with how it ended. I LOVED the final issue where Superman gets asked all sorts of questions. My particular favorite was the Batman question and the question about Superman’s religious beliefs. King handled his answers to both of those PERFECTLY.
    It was a really awesome ending. I loved those two questions too - didn't like the Robin one as much, but I thought it was perfectly in character, and also fit Tom King personally
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  15. #180
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Final issue is out and damn this miniseries might just be one of my favorite Superman stories of all time. It’s a very simple and straightforward tale about Superman’s ability to be a force for good, but it keeps you hooked with all the crazy stuff he gets up to, and I am very satisfied with how it ended. I LOVED the final issue where Superman gets asked all sorts of questions. My particular favorite was the Batman question and the question about Superman’s religious beliefs. King handled his answers to both of those PERFECTLY.
    The part where i really give credit for tom king is how is he usee superman as an anti-machinisation figure. Which superman was when first came to be. I agree, this was one of the best set of one shots superman has ever had. i need more. I wish king could do more with superman. This was out of this world.i haven't read a superman story that i was blown away with since moore's superman stories and max fleischer cartoons.
    It is surprising how someone who has spoke ill of superman character can write superman so well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-04-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •