Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

See, I think it's dumb for retailers to complain about this. For one thing, Wal-Mart doesn't exactly carry graphic novels or comics unless it's some kind of tie in to a movie. And even then it's maybe one. So Wal-Mart gets one comic and the shops get everything else? Yeah, not exactly competition.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    See, I think it's dumb for retailers to complain about this. For one thing, Wal-Mart doesn't exactly carry graphic novels or comics unless it's some kind of tie in to a movie. And even then it's maybe one. So Wal-Mart gets one comic and the shops get everything else? Yeah, not exactly competition.
    They’re terrified of losing even the smallest monopoly. They need to sober up and realize that most of them will be ending up dead anyway with the way things aren’t going in this industry. Any opportunity to bring in new blood should be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The original stories will eventually find their way to retailers

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06...int-palmiotti/
    Do we know when this is coming out? I heard sometime later this year. Do we know when?
    Assassinate Putin!

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Do we know when this is coming out? I heard sometime later this year. Do we know when?
    They come out on July 1st.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

The first issue will be published in July, but this particular story doesn't start until September

I'm excited about this. I don't buy many comics, only the Superman essentials, and this sounds like a pretty great package of old and new stories and the price is just perfect. I'm getting the Superman and JL books.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    They come out on July 1st.
    Actually, I was talking about the collected edition.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Actually, I was talking about the collected edition.
    Likely not until late 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Looks cool. I saw some people angry that this is “hurting comic shops”, but comic shops are a dying breed. Every week we hear about another one closing. DC (and Marvel) need to start reaching out beyond comic book shops.
    I'm not sure if that's actually true now.

My data is a little old (a year or two I think) but supposedly more comic and hobby shops have been opening than closing over the last few years. I *believe* the rate of increase has been roughly proportionate to the gains we've seen in sales (but again, could be remembering wrong).

Assuming this is true, the shop owners have nothing to worry about. They're holding steady, as an industry. Obviously individual shops close, but there's tons of reasons for that and a lot of them have nothing to do with the market as a whole.

These digests might pull in new fans who will want to dig deeper into the hobby. That'll lead them to doing some online research. That'll either lead them to a LCS or Comixology, depending on their location options and reading preferences. The ones who go digital were probably never going into a LCS anyway, so there's nothing but gains here for the hobby shop owners.

No one is going to drop their pull lists so they can buy Wal-Mart digests with old material re-printed, a fist full of new pages, that feature only the biggest brands. Who's going to drop Black Science so they can read Geoff Johns' Teen Titans run all over again? The LCS won't be terribly affected by this, and might even see a few new readers trickle in.

Or at least, that's my semi-educated guess.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I'll be getting all the covers with a SUPER character on it.

It's nice to see Kon be front tand center again

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Aw dip, Superman. In space. Boxing. With his logo on his shorts. And he's getting a pummelin', but our boy isn't going down. That other fella better watch out:

Buh-bye

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I've always described Superman as a cosmic Jack Dempsey, and so I guess the ref is Richard Steele lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Wow...so we get what Bendis is doing in the main books and Tom King writing Supes monthly for a year with this Walmart book.

Looks like i will be back to buying at least one physical book a month for the first time on a regular basis in awhile! Smart move on DC's part.
    These exclusive Walmart books are driving me crazy. You can't find them in NYC, and they are going to be worth a fortune. This is great original material.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    These exclusive Walmart books are driving me crazy. You can't find them in NYC, and they are going to be worth a fortune. This is great original material.
    I'm currently very frustrated because the closest Walmart to me is an hour away... I can't got that far to try to find these books so often.. can we order online. Sigh, I really want the Superman related stories. These books sounded exactly like what I needed. Can we hope to see it collected one day?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Tom King was on Word Balloon, and he talked about Up In The Sky.

- Each issue is a 12 page short story in a overarching plot line.

- The overarching plot is that a little girl gets kidnapped into space.

- Clark goes out looking for here and sort of bets obsessed with it, and will be making sacrifices along the quest.

- Issue 3 is the boxing issue. Don't remember the opponent's name (might-O or "mydo" something like that), but it's apparently a forgotten DC character and it's 12 rounds of "super boxing."

- Very cosmic and 50s science fiction

- Uses an experimental story telling technique
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.