Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

The precedent of WalMart having an entire arc's worth of comics by a a-list talent as a store exclusive is enough to make me wary of DC at this point.

At this point, unless it is a mini-series, I might end up waiting for compilations on all DC comics. (And, if those compilations leave out WalMart content, I will not read them at all.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The precedent of WalMart having an entire arc's worth of comics by a a-list talent as a store exclusive is enough to make me wary of DC at this point.

At this point, unless it is a mini-series, I might end up waiting for compilations on all DC comics. (And, if those compilations leave out WalMart content, I will not read them at all.)
    That seems really extreme. I mean, I don't think they put A-List talent on the BvS or Justice League cereal box comics, but it was solid B-List stuff (Marguerite Bennett, Marcus To, Fabian Nicieza, Chris Gage, Joe Bennett, Joshua Williamson, Eduardo Pansica, Tom Grummett, etc), and that's NEVER been collected or available digitally.

I mean, you do you, but to punish EVERYONE at DC just because they make a few things exclusive to a store you don't like - especially since those stories aren't affecting any other stories - makes no sense at all to me.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Come ON, CBR?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

That's stupid but you do you.

Mighty Member

How is it stupid to not reward DC for bad behavior?

I am not going to buy in for a run of comics unless I can get the full run. If I am reading a comic for 6 months to a year, and then DC decides to release something exclusive to Wal-Mart, I am not going to want to the comics I already have. DC's current plan is not quite there yet. But, if they are putting a-list talent on exclusive comics, it is not much of a leap for them to release special issues (that tie in to main-line runs) at Wal-Mart.

Marguerite Bennett, Marcus To, Fabian Nicieza, Chris Gage, Joe Bennett, Joshua Williamson, Eduardo Pansica, Tom Grummett
    That list blurs the line between A and B list.

Gage is arguably an a-list level writer. (Admittedly, his best stuff is at Marvel. But, he will draw readers.) Grummet and Nicieza were a-listers in their time (which is long past).
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

How is it stupid to not reward DC for bad behavior?

I am not going to buy in for a run of comics unless I can get the full run. If I am reading a comic for 6 months to a year, and then DC decides to release something exclusive to Wal-Mart, I am not going to want to the comics I already have. DC's current plan is not quite there yet. But, if they are putting a-list talent on exclusive comics, it is not much of a leap for them to release special issues (that tie in to main-line runs) at Wal-Mart.

That list blurs the line between A and B list.

Gage is arguably an a-list level writer. (Admittedly, his best stuff is at Marvel. But, he will draw readers.) Grummet and Nicieza were a-listers in their time (which is long past).
    I don't see how it's bad behavior - that's why I'm really confused by your hardline stance. DC has clearly NOT released anything in Walmart exclusive that's part of any other run. Tom King's writing a Superman story that's not connected at all to his Batman stuff. Bendis is writing a Batman story that's not connected to his Superman Stuff. Palmiottie and Connor are writing a Wonder Woman story that's not connected to anything they're currently doing either.

The speculation that they'll start doing event comics in main continuity for Walmart is just as far out as the speculation that DC will shut down their direct market program for Walmart.

I agree that the cereal box writers and artists blur the line between A and B - but that just makes my point stronger. Why punish DC for Walmart if you're not punishing them for their cereal boxes?

Mighty Member

Bendis on a Bat-book is what most people were hoping for when it was announced that he was going to DC. Most of the people buying comics are 'mart are not going to care. But, regular readers are not obligated to hit 'mart to get a series that DC knows that regular readers want. (The economic incentive for DC and Squalmart is obvious.)

I do not care about continuity, or making it all fit together. But, everybody on this forum should be somewhat interested in content by a-list talent being sold exclusively outside of a comic store.

I agree that the cereal box writers and artists blur the line between A and B - but that just makes my point stronger. Why punish DC for Walmart if you're not punishing them for their cereal boxes?
    Fair point. (And, those comics are even less likely to be in good condition.) Truthfully, I did not know about them. On the other hand, most people buy groceries once or twice a week, so the inconvenience of looking for the comics is much diminished. (DC is still out of line putting a-list talent on those comics though.)

Bendis on a Bat-book is what most people were hoping for when it was announced that he was going to DC. Most of the people buying comics are 'mart are not going to care. But, regular readers are not obligated to hit 'mart to get a series that DC knows that regular readers want. (The economic incentive for DC and Squalmart is obvious.)

I do not care about continuity, or making it all fit together. But, everybody on this forum should be somewhat interested in content by a-list talent being sold exclusively outside of a comic store.

Fair point. (And, those comics are even less likely to be in good condition.) Truthfully, I did not know about them. On the other hand, most people buy groceries once or twice a week, so the inconvenience of looking for the comics is much diminished. (DC is still out of line putting a-list talent on those comics though.)
    I can see that. I still think we'll probably get a collected book - Palmiotti says so, even though King says he doesn't know. Though it won't be out for at least another 18 months.

I would say my experience in collecting the BvS and Justice League comics from cereal boxes was comparable to my experience collecting the Walmart comics. Neither of them have any real customer support, and ultimately, I'm probably going to have to go to ebay if I can't get them directly from the retailer (I had to buy from ebay for several of these cereal box comics, because they were randomized, and I couldn't justify getting so many cereals that I wasn't super interested in eating for the off-chance of getting the comic I wanted. I have a bunch of duplicates, still in wrapper. But I'm not a good ebay seller, so I haven't resold them. )

BANNED

Coloured image of a previously seen snippet

Mighty Member

I had to buy from ebay for several of these cereal box comics, because they were randomized, and I couldn't justify getting so many cereals that I wasn't super interested in eating for the off-chance of getting the comic I wanted. I have a bunch of duplicates, still in wrapper. But I'm not a good ebay seller, so I haven't resold them.
    The comics were randomized?

Wow. I am impressed that you bothered at all.

The comics were randomized?

Wow. I am impressed that you bothered at all.
    Yup! I bothered because I really liked them. And the collection game was fun to play in micro. I can't stand collection in large quantities, but hunting down just four comics was fun.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    It is all great except that it is exclussive to Walmart. Why not put it out in other retailers
    Walmart IS as massively mainstream as superstores go, where EVERYONE shops, as well as potential DC Comics 100 Page Giants exposure, compared to against the stigma of the small "nerd" shops that is the comic book store, that only a minority, let alone a minority who has any idea where those comic book stores are located.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Courtesy of Sandra Hope:

That is a VERY Silver Age marker for the Jor-El and Lara statues.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Courtesy of Sandra Hope:

That is a VERY Silver Age marker for the Jor-El and Lara statues.
    Oh, is Hope doing inking for this? That's top notch!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Oh yeah that really has to be her skirt and his red boots huh?