Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I read through the story, and I don't quite see the non-continuity stuff - can you give a spoiler-tagged clue?
    spoilers:
    It's Silver Age Jor-El and Lara, and Lois and Clark don't necessarily seem to be married (not confirmed one way or another, just the vibe I get), yet Doomsday is around - paired with Jonathan being alive in the previous issue, this simply doesn't fit anywhere but with itself, as opposed to the Bendis/Derrington Batman being so in continuity the new issue introduces a character for Young Justice.
    end of spoilers
    Buh-bye

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    spoilers:
    It's Silver Age Jor-El and Lara, and Lois and Clark don't necessarily seem to be married (not confirmed one way or another, just the vibe I get), yet Doomsday is around - paired with Jonathan being alive in the previous issue, this simply doesn't fit anywhere but with itself, as opposed to the Bendis/Derrington Batman being so in continuity the new issue introduces a character for Young Justice.
    end of spoilers
    Ah, thanks! I think a lot of stuff is unstated - I'm assuming it's NOT in continuity, but a lot of stuff you mention could probably be hand-waved, because King likes to write very sparely, leaving a lot open to interpretation.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

So, I walked into Walmart this evening, and all four of the new Walmart comics were in! The Superman one was very touching, though I'm a bit confused about what exactly happened at the end to give Superman the information he needed.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

So, I walked into Walmart this evening, and all four of the new Walmart comics were in! The Superman one was very touching, though I'm a bit confused about what exactly happened at the end to give Superman the information he needed.
    spoilers:
    At the end the girl mentions in passing having headed past that one galaxy; it was naturally in there with the rest of the informational stream, just nearly lost in the rest of the hallucination Superman made to cope and contextualize with what was happening to him until he remembered his purpose and zeroed in on it.
    end of spoilers
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    spoilers:
    At the end the girl mentions in passing having headed past that one galaxy; it was naturally in there with the rest of the informational stream, just nearly lost in the rest of the hallucination Superman made to cope and contextualize with what was happening to him until he remembered his purpose and zeroed in on it.
    end of spoilers
    Ah, I see, thanks!

Oh my.

Plus, King mentioned he's working on a Superman/Flash race for later in the series.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Finally managed to track down this thread again.

With the Lois controversy behind us, we resume our story with spoilers:
    a bit of a time travel yarn with an amensiac Clark teaming with Sgt. Rock and Easy Company
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

a bit of a time travel yarn with an amensiac Clark teaming with Sgt. Rock and Easy Company
    end of spoilers
    Ah, yes. It took me forever to find issue #8. I enjoyed it, though I'm really curious how King is going to tie everything together. Or if it's going to be fairly sketchy in conclusion.

I listened to a podcast, and King said that he has two goals with this series. 1) every page turn is a new scene (which I think I can see now - a very interesting structural goal, and a good use of a shorter story space). 2) Every issue has the message: Superman never gives up. I can see that too, though I think some of them are a bit too dark (the one where the alien doctor gives his life for Superman's felt a bit too much for me, though I was able to accept the Lois one more easily).

Kubert is still not my favorite artist, but I appreciate that he's sticking with this book (and Derington on Batman - we've lost our Wonder Woman artist, sadly.)

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

end of spoilers
    They did that in DC Comics Presents #10. Still haven't found issue #8 yet.
    Assassinate Putin!

Forgive my ignorance, but are these "walmart exclusive books" available digitally? I'm guessing they are all stand-alone stories not in continuity??

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but are these "walmart exclusive books" available digitally? I'm guessing they are all stand-alone stories not in continuity??
    That's a complicated question. The Superman and Wonder Woman books are probably not in continuity, at least that's what I recall from King and Palmiotti's tweets. From issues #3 to what will be #14 for Batman and Superman, and probably about #5 for Wonder Woman (because it carried over from Justice League Giant), the stories are 12 pages each month, but each is part of a 12-issue arc that will be collected at least in trade format for LCS. We have no news about whether it will be available digitally or not - I'd assume the trades will be digital as well, but the Walmart versions are not available digitally.

Batman, per Brian Bendis, is in continuity, but it makes very little sense with anything that's going on in even his own titles. The only connection is Jinny Hex, who showed up for one issue (Batman #4, I think), and then showed up in Young Justice.

Hope that helps!

That's a complicated question. The Superman and Wonder Woman books are probably not in continuity, at least that's what I recall from King and Palmiotti's tweets. From issues #3 to what will be #14 for Batman and Superman, and probably about #5 for Wonder Woman (because it carried over from Justice League Giant), the stories are 12 pages each month, but each is part of a 12-issue arc that will be collected at least in trade format for LCS. We have no news about whether it will be available digitally or not - I'd assume the trades will be digital as well, but the Walmart versions are not available digitally.

Batman, per Brian Bendis, is in continuity, but it makes very little sense with anything that's going on in even his own titles. The only connection is Jinny Hex, who showed up for one issue (Batman #4, I think), and then showed up in Young Justice.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks! I guess I'll wait until they are collected in some format digitally.

The OLD ME would've searched every Walmart available to find mint copies of each book. However I sold my hard copies a few years ago (over 6,000 books) and am strictly digital now (except for IDW TMNT books). Just became too much of a collection to maintain. I'm sure they'll pop up sooner or later in some digital collections...especially if they are in-continuity stories.
    Last edited by RickWJ324; 03-19-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Thanks! I guess I'll wait until they are collected in some format digitally.
    If you haven't been getting them, that might be worth while...though it all depends on what you are interested in. I do love having all of the three titles I'm collecting (Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman - I have every issue from 1-9), but I think it's a really fun thing to go to Walmart and find a new book with a bunch of reprints that I may or may not have read (even if I personally dislike one or two of the selections, cough Gail Simone's Batgirl cough).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Hope that helps!
    Maybe he's pulling a Frank Miller where he's making his own little world and everything he publishes takes place on "Bendis Earth" or something. And to hell with what DC wants.
    Assassinate Putin!

I mean, to be fair, most writers function in that way if you look at things carefully.

That being said, I like the way King is playing with his world, both in Batman and Superman.