Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I really dislike all the scalpers.
    They are a scourge to the collecting community.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

So, "Come Back to Me" has finished in the Walmart anthologies, and is being collected in single issues! What do people think?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I think there was some discussion about the first issue somewhere here.

I thought it opened rather weak. The art was all over the place and the forest fire storyline didn't really hold together or say anything interesting.

Once they got onto the mysterious island things started to perk up a bit: cool mystery, lots of strange things going on. It's a bit kitchen-sink in its approach, but at least it's a fun kitchen-sink—though it makes for confused plotting. And Conner can write a Diana who isn't bogged down with seriousness, and the interaction with Etta and Steve is a delight. I also like that Conner is picking up a lot of Diana's less used powers, like animal speech or the mental radio.

I'm less enthused for the role that Jonah Hex plays. I'm not sure he really fits, and the way that he is depicted as the only person skilled in wilderness survival feels odd.

To sum up: fun adventure, but it doesn't feel like there is anything uniquely Diana about it.

ETA: This is only based on the story so far released in the floppies, not on the whole finished story.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think there was some discussion about the first issue somewhere here.

I thought it opened rather weak. The art was all over the place and the forest fire storyline didn't really hold together or say anything interesting.

Once they got onto the mysterious island things started to perk up a bit: cool mystery, lots of strange things going on. It's a bit kitchen-sink in its approach, but at least it's a fun kitchen-sink—though it makes for confused plotting. And Conner can write a Diana who isn't bogged down with seriousness, and the interaction with Etta and Steve is a delight. I also like that Conner is picking up a lot of Diana's less used powers, like animal speech or the mental radio.

I'm less enthused for the role that Jonah Hex plays. I'm not sure he really fits, and the way that he is depicted as the only person skilled in wilderness survival feels odd.

To sum up: fun adventure, but it doesn't feel like there is anything uniquely Diana about it.

ETA: This is only based on the story so far released in the floppies, not on the whole finished story.
    Ah, cool. I got all the Walmart issues, so I've read the whole thing. I'm jealous of the floppy readers, though, because you get Conner covers!

I think it's kind of overly pulpy and not super deep or rich in exploration of Diana's character, but it's not bad. I don't regret reading it at all, but I'm not really planning to keep buying more of the Palmiotti/Conner Wonder Woman giants now that I have the full saga.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Etta and Diana as housemates; they had me, right there. Diana and Etta leaping into the I-Jet and flying off to an adventure in an exotic, quasi-mystical, lost civilization, as in the Marston Golden Age. Diana's beach town finally gets a name, ..OCEAN CITY! Tons of dialogue!

That was accomplished in one issue.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-21-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Loving this book! Picking it up at the comic shop.
    Assassinate Putin!

I just finished reading issue number three. I’m enjoying this book. It’s fast-paced, engrossing, easy to understand due to not being encumbered by continuity. The art is strong. Diana has a great can-do, go get ‘em attitude. Some Amazonian philosophy nuggets have been tossed in there. Cheetah’s appearance took me by surprise.

The only thing I’m iffy about is Etta’s portrayal. Is this supposed to be the Etta from Rebirth? She’s described as a military commander but so far is written as a run-of-the-mill, civilian, comic-relief character.

Etta bunking with Diana is CLASSIC. With Etta and possibly Ferdinand or Mala, Diana has a real home and leaves me wanting to see more of her interacting with them, between adventures. The re-christening of Virginia Shoreline, as Ocean City, makes sense, since Dianas home life has to be unfolding, SOME-where.I

All of this serves to humanize Diana. Refreshing...

Why did it take this promotional comic to bring them back together, this way?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-12-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This is my favorite book right now! I love this story!
    Assassinate Putin!

Diana's team up with Cheetah is fun. Reminds me of the good old Messner Loebs' run.