Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Is WB trying to find a way to back out of the DCEU?

So this is interesting:

https://www.cbr.com/batman-joker-movie-connected-rumor/

Why create a secondary universe? We know that the proposal for the Flash movie was originally going to be an adaptation of Flashpoint. Whether or not that's still true, I don't know. It seems odd to create two separate universes unless they want a "back up" one in case the DCEU doesn't take off. Having an older Batman in comparison to the much younger JL does create it's own set of problems down the line. A separate universe for a younger Batman would let them try to recapture the magic of the Nolan movies while still opening the door to introduce other characters later on if they decide to just cut their losses on the DCEU. It's obvious they want their own version of the MCU and this might be their second attempt to get it by going the same route they did. One character movie at a time. What do you think?
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

I'm not opposed to many different versions of characters, but I do like DC for the connectivity in everything they do, so it would just be 2 steps back for me, even if it's still 1 step forward

Astonishing Member

Maybe the long term plan is to go even bigger! Instead of the DCEU, we have the DCEM! (DC Extended Multi-Verse!) Then they could do a big Crisis-like movie and bring in all the different versions of their characters in the same movie!

I'm more worried about them making good movies and ones with characters I like then if they're in a cinematic universe, personally.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I know there had to be some serious corporate soul-searching after the JL movie did worse than any of their others, while Wonder Woman performed spectacularly against all the corporate predictions (reason? It was a good movie and not a done-to-death formula movie).

Still, I think a second universe is not the answer. Introducing a new Joker and/or Batman will just confuse people. Or worse, it will feel like a reboot to the general public...who will be confounded when the 1st universe sees the light of day again. To paint an example, imagine Marvel releasing the next Tom Holland Spider-Man sequel THEN releasing a 4th Tobey Macguire Spidey sequel.

Building up the DCEU's base of characters is probably the answer. Shazam=yes, Aquaman=yes...keep adding to the list. And make them great stories that stand alone and work in the shared universe but don't DEPEND on the shared universe. That's the answer IMO.

This would be an interesting test regarding how much general audiences care about continuity and cohesion between films. There were a lot of handwringing over Disney simply replacing the guy who played The Hulk for The Avengers, but this would be a whole new level. I honestly think WB could get away with just re-starting Batman and then fold him into the "world" of the already established Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Superman, without mentioning that there used to be a whole other Batman running around with the same characters. We'll see!
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Boisterously Confused

It is too early to tell.

However, at this point, I imagine WB will chase anything that looks like it's working, regardless of whether that's the result of deliberate planning or not.

Which is kind of the source of some of their woes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It is too early to tell.

However, at this point, I imagine WB will chase anything that looks like it's working, regardless of whether that's the result of deliberate planning or not.

Which is kind of the source of some of their woes.
    I also see this ugh.

I like the idea of individual character movies,toldly with their own feel.then have a JL movie,it will feel bigger and have more wow factor then

I personally do not see this happening.

The Joker movie is supposed to be a low budget artistic project, a dark gritty mobster tale with a R rating most likely. I'm pretty sure an actor like Joaquin Phoenix wouldn't be involved if he had to sign a multi-film deal and do the whole superhero cinematic universe schtick. Having this Joker show up in a $200 million kid friendly Batman movie will just be odd.

You don't use this movie to launch a new mainstream shared universe.
    Last edited by Black_Adam; 06-20-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

After BvS and Justice League, WB stated that the DC movieverse was going to be less focused on strict continuity and more centered on creative freedom. So if a writer/director has a good idea for a project based on a DC character they were going to go with it even if it didn’t fit into the DCEU continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    After BvS and Justice League, WB stated that the DC movieverse was going to be less focused on strict continuity and more centered on creative freedom. So if a writer/director has a good idea for a project based on a DC character they were going to go with it even if it didn’t fit into the DCEU continuity.
    BvS wasn't even strict continuity though. It was an interpretation of the characters and not the actual source material. Batman himself had the most bizarre characterization Ive ever seen. Kills, brands, minding what Superman does in his own city. That's nowhere near the comics version of him, not even in Frank Milliar's story. And I'm not going to even go into the moral dilemma they convoluted for Superman. Messing with the characters like that is what resulted in the plot making no sense. Their motivations all get changed drastically when they do that and it results in really just creating OC characters and slapping the names of Superman and Batman onto them.

They really should be sticking with source material imo. There's a reason the stories are popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    There will be movies outside the DCEU yes, that is what this separate label is for.

But that's not quite what they said, that was the narrative for "DCEU is doomed" people chose to interpret it as.

What they meant was going forward directors will have freedom to do what they want with these characters in their own movies, but they aren't going to be building towards huge evens like Justice League or Infinity War.

This lines up with what Matt Reeves said about his Batman still being THE Batman but he wouldn't be having cameos and storylines from other movies affecting it, until he says otherwise I don't see why that's not the case.

Toby Emmerich said Aquaman is an individual story but is still very much apart of the fabric of the DCEU, same with Sandberg and Shazam! Not to mention WW84 obviously. At worst we may see some soft retcons like Wonder Woman's backstory in BvS stepping away from humanity.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Having an older Batman creates problems if we're looking at a universe that's intended to last as long as Marvel's has. Are we going to be having a sixty year old Batman running around ten years from now while everyone else is just hitting their stride? Physically I don't think Affleck can do it. Hugh Jackman played Wolverine longer than any of the current crop of heroes and he quit in his mid forties just because he couldn't handle the physical strain anymore. I think Affleck is older than he is now. In that sense, a "back up" universe might not be a bad idea. Even someone like Robert Downer Jr. gets to hide behind armor and have the CGI or stunt man do most of the hard, physical stuff. I think JL is the first time they got Superman right after three movies. And he only showed up for something like ten minutes. I do think it's a valid discussion to have if it's worth it to keep this universe around long term.
    Assassinate Putin!

I don't care what they call it. Just give me great movies about DC Comics characters please.

BANNED

I want multiple movies about multiple characters,not a lot of movies about the same character or corner of the huge DCU

What a waste