Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I would go forward with the Milestone 2.0/Earth M concepts the announced. While I would have loved for DC to have let the milestone characters be in the DC universe but it's probably the smarter move because DC would probably **** it up. I would however make Love Army able to operate across Earth-M & Earth-0. Dark Knights Metal doubled down on the every universe needs a Superman, Batman, etc so I would emphasize Icon and Hardware as the Batman and Superman analogues of their universe and use it as a chance to explore how different these heroes' (sups and bats) experience would be as none white straight guys. Speaking of sexuality, I would make Icon more sexually fluid because he's an alien. I never understood why alien characters tend to fall neatly into our social norms. I wouldn't make it the cornerstone of his character, I would save it for a couple issues in and address it in a story called "bi-con" because I'm a child and that title's hilarious to me. I wouldn't change much about Hardware but i would drop Technique. Also, I would start to move Rocket away from her Icon partnership a bit so she can stand on her own two. I would take a handful of the older milestone characters and not reboot them in milestone 2.0. Instead I would take them and introduce them over in the main DC universe; particularly Wise-son. Going back to the idea of alternate universe counterparts, I would also use Milestone as a chance to spotlight underutilized and underappreciated characters of color from the DC universe. People like Vibe, Freedom Beast, David Zavimbe (I DEMAND JUSTICE FOR DAVID!!), etc. Would be reworked for the Milestone landscape.
    Interesting. I've been thinking of ways to introduce the ethnic Superfriends homage characters from Young Justice into the comics. Maybe they could be in Milestone too?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Interesting. I've been thinking of ways to introduce the ethnic Superfriends homage characters from Young Justice into the comics. Maybe they could be in Milestone too?
    Definitely! I just threw out the first ones that came to mind, but I would want to use the "Earth M" anthology book they announced as the book to, not only introduce new characters but to revitalize those characters as well. The best ones spin out into team books, miniseries, and/or ongoings.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-24-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    DC doesn't own/control the Milestone characters, does it?
    No DC neither owns or controls Milestone, they never have.
    Milstone does.
    DC only ever licensed the characters (ie pay Milestone to use them) and Milestone has always had control editorial control etc. on how they are used.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    DC doesn't own/control the Milestone characters, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    They kind of do ...
    Not true.
    DC does not "kind of" own/control Milestone. You are spreading false information.
    Milestone creators ( Reginald Hudlin, Derek Dingle and Denys Cowan) currently own and control the Milestone characters.
    They license them to DC who published them, but Milestone has full ownership and editorial control on how and where they are used.

But there might be clauses involving the late Dwayne McDuffie's surviving relatives considering how the delay is seemingly tied to the dispute between DC and McDuffie's widow I believe?

The dispute and lawsuit is not with DC.
    It's between McDuffie's widow and Milestone (Hudlin, Dingle, Cowan) who supposedly cut her and McDuffie's family out of the new deal and "revival"...

- https://variety.com/2017/biz/news/dw...ia-1202512743/
    You might be spreading a lot of false information.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-24-2018 at 06:17 PM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    No DC neither owns or controls Milestone, they never have.
    Milstone does.
    DC only ever licensed the characters (ie pay Milestone to use them) and Milestone has always had control editorial control etc. on how they are used.

Not true.
    DC does not "kind of" own/control Milestone. You are spreading false information.
    Only Milestone owns and controls the Milestone characters.
    They license them to DC who published them, but Milestone has full ownership and editorial control on how they are used.

The dispute and lawsuit is not with DC.
    It's between McDuffie's widow, and Milestones who supposedly cut her out of the new deal..
    You are spreading a lot of false information.
    I didn't know sorry.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Scary stuff indeed but how would icon tackle such extreme thing would you like to do a comic where Icon just beats the enemies similar to what Superman did in World War II where Superman defeated Stalin and Hitler then dumped them at the League of Nations and end of story and problem.
    Well, I haven't given this much thought at all. I mean, I had the idea as I was typing my reply in this thread yesterday.

But what I think I'd do is have Icon and Rocket tackle both ends of the political extreme. What are the terrible things that the alt-right and SJW are guilty of? That's where the narrative goes; dealing with explorations of free speech, digital civil rights, immigration, *allll* the hot button issues. And I'd have Rocket and Icon often argue over the topic. Maybe Rocket sees no problem with making any kind of racial statement illegal; maybe Icon believes that free speech protects everyone as long as they're not inciting violence or trying to push their opinions into policy law.

And of course, there'd be plenty of stories where they're both in agreement, because pretty much everyone agrees with more than we disagree with; we just get hung up on the details.

As for how I'd deal with the "radicalization of America?" I'm honestly not completely sure, beyond using villains who've been radicalized and bringing up some basic statistics that're concerning. Mass shooters, crazy politicians, greedy businessmen, those are the bad guys we'd see Icon and Rocket dealing with a lot.

So.....I guess the book would be a combination of Golden Age Superman, as told from two different perspectives, with heavy and direct commentary on current events.

You ever read that issue of Supergirl by Peter David that tackled racism? It was incredibly well done. That, with a little more Golden Age fisticuffs would be the book.

I think it would piss off everyone. Hell, if it didn't piss off everyone it's not doing it's job right. I think the goal would be for the title to make you a little uncomfortable and make you consider your own opinion on things. Maybe not change your mind, but make you consider the issue from different sides, and shine a light on how gods damn intolerant and hateful we've become, how we're starting to be just like the terrorists we're trying to stop.

As I said. Controversial. Educational perhaps, but controversial.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, I haven't given this much thought at all. I mean, I had the idea as I was typing my reply in this thread yesterday.

But what I think I'd do is have Icon and Rocket tackle both ends of the political extreme. What are the terrible things that the alt-right and SJW are guilty of? That's where the narrative goes; dealing with explorations of free speech, digital civil rights, immigration, *allll* the hot button issues. And I'd have Rocket and Icon often argue over the topic. Maybe Rocket sees no problem with making any kind of racial statement illegal; maybe Icon believes that free speech protects everyone as long as they're not inciting violence or trying to push their opinions into policy law.

And of course, there'd be plenty of stories where they're both in agreement, because pretty much everyone agrees with more than we disagree with; we just get hung up on the details.

As for how I'd deal with the "radicalization of America?" I'm honestly not completely sure, beyond using villains who've been radicalized and bringing up some basic statistics that're concerning. Mass shooters, crazy politicians, greedy businessmen, those are the bad guys we'd see Icon and Rocket dealing with a lot.

So.....I guess the book would be a combination of Golden Age Superman, as told from two different perspectives, with heavy and direct commentary on current events.

You ever read that issue of Supergirl by Peter David that tackled racism? It was incredibly well done. That, with a little more Golden Age fisticuffs would be the book.

I think it would piss off everyone. Hell, if it didn't piss off everyone it's not doing it's job right. I think the goal would be for the title to make you a little uncomfortable and make you consider your own opinion on things. Maybe not change your mind, but make you consider the issue from different sides, and shine a light on how gods damn intolerant and hateful we've become, how we're starting to be just like the terrorists we're trying to stop.

Never read that Supergirl issue that Peter David wrote I don't even know which one is it. Also Rocket and icon are often represent different sides of the argument the Rocket is the liberal one while Icon was the conservative it would be something else to see a partnership where both sides don't always agree on a subject. Too bad this sort of thing will be huge berserk button for both sides of the comic book fandom though it might be worth looking into.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I have that book.

Interesting enough old Milestone did touch on some of those topics.

Rocket was the first teen mother super heroine (at least of color)-that ALONE would get you attention now.

Deathwish was about a vigilante who was a villain due to his bed room issues. Something like that I have to look through that book again.

Static dealt with a mad bomber, gay friend, eating disorders, thug friend, teen sex and almost teen shooting (that would become the Jimmy episode on the cartoon).

Kobalt has a grumpy veteran with a new sidekick-think a GRUMPIER Punisher training Miles Morales in his store bought Halloween costume.

Heroes had not one but two LGBT characters who were a couple.

I think in your example I don't think Rocket & Icon would act like that.

Lets take a career criminal killed by cops.

Rocket would be look at what lead him or her to that life of crime. And what laws maybe have been used.
    Icon would not care in most cases. He would ask why is there rage and destruction for career criminals and none of that for kids like Tysean Lee-executed by black males in the alley. If Black Lives MATTERED-it would not matter who did the kiling-justice for all.

Ultimate Member

Never read that Supergirl issue that Peter David wrote I don't even know which one is it. Also Rocket and icon are often represent different sides of the argument the Rocket is the liberal one while Icon was the conservative it would be something else to see a partnership where both sides don't always agree on a subject. Too bad this sort of thing will be huge berserk button for both sides of the comic book fandom though it might be worth looking into.
    If it's done at Marvel-YES.

So far it seems like if it is done anywhere else and it has in book at other mid-companies-no one cares.

I mean the recent Black Lightning mini to me represented every single complaint by a certain group. Especially the fates of two little black boys-if that was done in a Marvel book.

Nothing. Comics are a great medium, but most people who know of Static know of him from the cartoon, and that's what I'd do, a couple cartoons, maybe a direct to video movie, a live action series on CW or Syfy.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I have that book.
    Man, that issue blew my mind when it first came out. That was one of the first really political comics I had ever read, and the level of maturity and insight PAD put into it really caught me off guard. I was highly impressed (obviously).

Interesting enough old Milestone did touch on some of those topics.
    I know. It's probably the thing that drew me to Milestone the most. And if I had control over any of those properties, that socio-political exploration would definitely continue to be a major focus.

I think in your example I don't think Rocket & Icon would act like that.
    Perhaps not. I wasn't really thinking about their exact responses so much as trying to find two different opinions to insert for the example.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.