Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

You could rework it to be equally emotional, but without being multiple years. Imagine having super-powers and watching a war on television being fought by supers.... I find it easy to imagine someone would feel very strongly about trying to make things better.

It's too bad Cindy's movie will not be set in the MCU specifically because the MCU Spider-Man never got an origin... we didn't need to see Peter get bit. Everyone knows what happens to Peter. But no one knows what happens to the radioactive spider. THAT's the central conceit of Cindy's origin.

It'd be great to get a cameo of Tom Holland jerking back from the bite, and follow the spider's escape across the room and into Cindy's backpack or something.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    It's too bad Cindy's movie will not be set in the MCU specifically because the MCU Spider-Man never got an origin... we didn't need to see Peter get bit. Everyone knows what happens to Peter. But no one knows what happens to the radioactive spider. THAT's the central conceit of Cindy's origin.

It'd be great to get a cameo of Tom Holland jerking back from the bite, and follow the spider's escape across the room and into Cindy's backpack or something.
    A part of me is almost kind of hoping Sony's spinoffs get around if for no other reason then so that the other Spiders have their chance at the spotlight and don't have to be forced into fitting into MCU Peter's narrative.

I do think that you are able to get away with making a Silk film without Peter or Spider-Man involved. It doesn't even have to be the same spider, it can be a completely different one and it would still work, and Miles already proves people are okay with multiple spiders. The bunker is the only thing I think is absolutely necessary for her character, and the quest for her family is the perfect plotline for a film like this, while also being easy to explain to the average moviegoer.

As for if it'd be in the MCU or not, I wish it would be just because it would give it a sense of "officially", but the character and film can still work as a separate standalone thing, and might even turn out better not to be bogged down in all the other interconnecting continuities.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Is Tiffany Espensen contractually unavailable or just unlikely to reprise the role in a solo film?
    My guess is that her agent would be very happy to discuss the potential of a spinoff.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I do think that you are able to get away with making a Silk film without Peter or Spider-Man involved. It doesn't even have to be the same spider, it can be a completely different one and it would still work, and Miles already proves people are okay with multiple spiders. The bunker is the only thing I think is absolutely necessary for her character, and the quest for her family is the perfect plotline for a film like this, while also being easy to explain to the average moviegoer.
    I don't think you need Peter or Spider-Man, but you probably are going to draw attention to yourself by using an origin that is identical to his.

I feel like the Miles movie is different since we have different versions of Peter in it and they're emphasizing alternate dimension that exist alongside the "traditional" Spider-Man universe. It's not really a film that has a Spider-esque character that doesn't acknowledge the existence of Spider-Man, which I would assume this film would be (similar to Venom).

So I think there's a difference between a Spider-Man legacy film, featuring Spider-Men, versus a film that would to a casual eye appear to be riffing on the Spider-Man mythos.
    As for if it'd be in the MCU or not, I wish it would be just because it would give it a sense of "officially", but the character and film can still work as a separate standalone thing, and might even turn out better not to be bogged down in all the other interconnecting continuities.
    It being set in the MCU would probably guarantee it more buzz and attention, and a better guarantee of success, then it would probably have otherwise but I also don't think Marvel Studios has any intention of making a Silk film.

But I think it would work ideally a standalone film would because there is no Spider-Man to outshadow Cindy in her movie and no other spider that would have to to take away focus from (and possibly overshadow) Peter in his own movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy's Addiction View Post
    I agree with you Von, it will be sad if it does get bombed hard.
    One thing for sure, it would be nice if it's an animated film for Silk. Just make sure Sony have the right script, director and actors for the film.
    It's a shame in a way that Chloe Bennet is now solidly associated with Daisy Johnson Quake.

Because otherwise .... she *is* Cindy Moon. So perfect! If it's animated she could do the voice!

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I think it will be fine if they skip the locked in a bunker for years part for Cindy. It was only there in the comics to explain her absence for 55 years' worth of stories. The MCU Spider franchise is still in its infancy stage (maybe toddler stage) so such a storyline is not needed, and it's ambiguous if these spin-offs are in continuity with the Homecoming series in the first place.
    Yeah well...no, if they leave out the isolation in the bunker, losing her family and the quest to find them .... then it's not Cindy.

That experience is core to her character and the way she develops. It's one of the things that I love about her, it's the heart of her vulnerabily and the thing that makes me relate to her and root for her. It also differentiates her from Peter.

If they leave it out completely or fail to adapt it well.. that's my definition of fundamentally screwing it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    It's a shame in a way that Chloe Bennet is now solidly associated with Daisy Johnson Quake.

Because otherwise .... she *is* Cindy Moon. So perfect! If it's animated she could do the voice!
    I honestly can't disagree with this in the least. She'd have been a perfect Cindy.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Yeah well...no, if they leave out the isolation in the bunker, losing her family and the quest to find them .... then it's not Cindy.
    I agree that Cindy needs a kind of "bunker", and mysteriously missing parents. I was going to suggest Cindy gets bit some time after Peter, but the transformation is different, the effects are slower, but far more substantial. Like, the bite puts her into a coma, and the spider wraps her up like a fly, stashing her between the walls of her parents' home. The "cocoon" coma lasts years, and she wakes to find radioactive spider corpses at her feet, her parents missing, a mystery surrounding their absence, and weirder powers than Peter ever developed... cause she was in a cocoon.

so what spider villains can be loaned to Silk, does she have her own rogues yet?

Her main nemesis throughout her storyline was Black Cat. And they were more Frenemies.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Well, Black Cat's primed as one of the leads in Silver and Black, so I don't see her being the main antagonist in a Silk movie. But then again, both movies have about the same potential of getting off the ground .

Although I could see them throwing Felicia in there to convey a "shared universe."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Black Cat's primed as one of the leads in Silver and Black, so I don't see her being the main antagonist in a Silk movie. But then again, both movies have about the same potential of getting off the ground .

Although I could see them throwing Felicia in there to convey a "shared universe."
    A Spider-Man shared universe without Spider-Man?

That experience is core to her character and the way she develops. It's one of the things that I love about her, it's the heart of her vulnerabily and the thing that makes me relate to her and root for her. It also differentiates her from Peter.

If they leave it out completely or fail to adapt it well.. that's my definition of fundamentally screwing it up!
    It unnecessarily ages her up (well, it was necessary in the comics if they wanted her to be Peter's age) and I think Sony would prefer a teen Cindy or someone around the same age as Tom Holland's Peter (unless this entire thing is essentially a Jessica Drew movie but with the aesthetics/superficial details of "Silk".)