Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default From a Narrative/Mythos Standpoint; How Attractive Should Lois & Clark Be?

Okay, let's be clear here. This is not about objectifying either of these characters, nor is it a chance to say "Lois should be HAAWWWT because boobs rule!" But how attractive should these characters be, to fully achieve the physical expression of their narrative themes and roles? Comics are a visual medium, and I don't believe that every character or hero needs to be some super model vision of perfection. So where should these two characters fall on the "appearance" spectrum?

Should one or the other or both of them only be average looking because they represent the idea that every one can be Super if they "do good to others"?

Should one or the other or both of them be extremely attractive, as representations of humanity at its best?

And what kind of features do you imagine? Does Superman have the wide, heavy chin ala McGuiness, or the more narrow cleft like Shane Davis? Are his ears slightly too big? Big heavy eyebrows or thinner ones? Is Lois' hair naturally that color, or does she dye it? How much makeup? Full lips or thin or in between?

No wrong answers. Just a conversation about visual style and preferences.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The best way to sum up how I view how they would ideally be portrayed physically is Cary Grant and Rosalind Russel in "His Girl Friday.
    Superman is ruggedly handsome, but with soft eyes and a warm smile. He's very broad and imposing, but also approachable. There's a steady calm to him.

Lois is very attractive and at times stunning but at the same time not dainty or meek. Never stereotype HOT or model looking. You can tell she's a gal that can handle herself and the strongest man in the world. I also like the idea that she's a bit more physically fit since she's always infiltrating places and on the foot chasing down scoops.

Both these actors give off that vibe IMO.

Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Interesting question.

My favorite (specifically) Lois and Clark artist might be Guice.

To emphasize character, I actually have to say that Clark should be more physically attractive, proportionate to gender, than Lois. One because Superman vs Clark to me is not about being very physically convincing. Reeve as a real human was perfect in this way because it was all his acting. He was just as handsome in glasses with maybe his hair a little different, but he sold you the idea of being a different person. Same thing I say with the disguise idea: if it comes down to what he's wearing, it fails as soon as someone looks at him a little differently.

I also like the idea that he represents us real people in the way that we can entirely get in our own way, intentionally or not. I identify with his not so much being unattractive, but his imperfect, very finite levels of personality and charm. Causing people to see him as a person they like or don't like aside from that. He's romantically aloof and Lois has to not take off his glasses, but get to really know the other side of him. That or just accept the Clark she knows, blundering and all.

But for whatever she brings physically, her personality does all of the heavy lifting. To clarify: I don't think she's unattractive at all and I don't think you need to be less attractive in order to have a great personality or be considered "normal." None of the live action Lois Lanes to me were out of place by being so attractive.

But anyway, she's bold and strong willed, and people feel that. She's not so gorgeous that people very often fail to take her seriously. Of course she takes care of herself and doesn't neglect looking presentable, but she doesn't go to work aiming to look like she's on a runway. Very fashionable, but doesn't dress as if she's under 30 even is she may sort of be. Professional. She goes to the gym, but if she's in a magazine it's because of her words. Basically I don't like the idea of her being a "10" because she's the most human character in the story, pretty much.

Lois Lane should be about Superman the Animated Series Lois Lane level attractive. Now how hot is that? Well, little kid me had a major crush, so pretty hot.

Serious response? As attractive as the current artist wants to make them. Leave it to the artists.

Astonishing Member

Lois should be more attractive than average but not to the point of being noted for her attractiveness. While Superman isn't superficial, I can't see him falling for Lois at first sight the way he does in most presentations if she doesn't have the looks to attract his eye right off the bat. She'd be a woman who could catch a man's eye but not necessarily hold it past a glance (assuming she was not doing something else to attract attention).

Clark is basically "Hollywood Ugly". I mean as Kuwagaton points out the guy is basically Superman, so whatever else he does the starting point is a handsome guy. I never considered Superman more attractive than Lois but thinking about it the idea works. Superman needs to have a charisma that makes him likeable and at least part of that is his appearance. And he isn't a model, pop star or movie idol where people are going to see him at his best most of the time, he's gonna have mussed hair, maybe some dirt on him, etc from being in a fight. But even then he comes off as attractive. Now in a room full of stunning men and out of costume I don't think Superman necessarily ranks real high. But if you have Kal-El and Lois in a room he gets more looks than she does.

Back to Clark, though. I think Superman is making an effort to play down his attractiveness as Clark so someone would rank him a point or two lower than Superman. If Superman is an 8 then Clark is at best a 7 and more likely a high 6. Superman moves gracefully. Clark moves awkwardly. Superman's eyes get noticed but Clark's are something people only notice if they make an effort (blue? brown? I forget). Superman has a cut build where as Clark looks a bit dumpier and the costume fits like a glove where as the clothes are a size off (usually bigger but a hat. gloves, belt, etc may be smaller than needed).

So Clark is cute. Lois is pretty. Superman is impressive (even out of costume). But guys like Dick Grayson, Hal Jordan, Pre-Cyborg Vic Stone and women like Diana, Cat Grant, Selina Kyle are much more attractive.

Superman should be pretty and huge. He should be this good father figure, the guy with enough authority to put those who hurt down but also the guy with the most gentle smile you could ever see and that you just to hug. Superman is at the same time the toughest guy in the room and the softest and that's what should get on the page to me. He is kind of like Sylvester Stallone to me, he is not the prettiest but there is just something unique that comes from the guy

I think that with Lois, you shouldn't focus on how attractive she can be but how you make her fearless. When I look at a Lois picture, that is the first thing I want to see, I want to see a journalist who is willing to go through everything to get her article. Beauty shouldn't be the focus but instead her body language and facial expressions.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Definitely both should be conventionally attractive people. In the comics and various animated series, Lois has many suitors for her attention. Clark Kent, Lex Luthor, John Corben, Bruce Wayne, Jose Delgado, etc. Clark also catches the eye of many women as well. Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Wonder Woman, Cat Grant, Phantom Girl etc.

Such a cute couple.

Key word for me was "Clark", not "Superman".

Clark publicly would be viewed largely as a "5" out of 10: not bad, not good. And that would be by his own design. He blends in immediately, becomes just a face in any crowd. Clark has worked hard on this ability to not be noticed, and is wildly successful at it.

If his bespectacled mug were on tinder, he'd get just about as many "swipe lefts" (rejections) as he would "swipe rights" (acceptances).

Superman, on the other hand, just cannot Not Stand Out. He has presence that drives up his allure through the roof. He's a natural 10 (i.e. Prime Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, Chow Yun Fat, or whomever your ideal traditionally masculine figures are) who can dial it back just enough to be approachable when he needs to.

Lois is right in the middle of them: 7.5. Her looks are very good, broadly appealing , but not distracting. She could make money off her looks, but she 'll never be on Diana's level of sex appeal.

Lois is more attractive than Clark, less attractive than Superman. And that's OK.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Key word for me was "Clark", not "Superman".

Clark publicly would be viewed largely as a "5" out of 10: not bad, not good. And that would be by his own design. He blends in immediately, becomes just a face in any crowd. Clark has worked hard on this ability to not be noticed, and is wildly successful at it.

If his bespectacled mug were on tinder, he'd get just about as many "swipe lefts" (rejections) as he would "swipe rights" (acceptances).

Superman, on the other hand, just cannot Not Stand Out. He has presence that drives up his allure through the roof. He's a natural 10 (i.e. Prime Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, Chow Yun Fat, or whomever your ideal traditionally masculine figures are) who can dial it back just enough to be approachable when he needs to.

Lois is right in the middle of them: 7.5. Her looks are very good, broadly appealing , but not distracting. She could make money off her looks, but she 'll never be on Diana's level of sex appeal.

Lois is more attractive than Clark, less attractive than Superman. And that's OK.
    While searching for images for this thread, I found this amusing set of panels.

Action Comics #761

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Very, very beautiful for both of them.

DC Holiday Special 2017 001-050.jpg
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Lois as far as I've typically read is suppose to be very beautiful and alluring. First story in action comics is some guy pushing Clark's face in to dance with Lois. Clark should have a face no one really remembers, average, plain looking fellow. He should have a face that's easy to forget.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    While searching for images for this thread, I found this amusing set of panels.

Action Comics #761

Funny thing is that Lois often comes off sexier than Diana does who is drawn very beautiful but in such a manner that it's more of a statue than actual human being.

Retired

In the eary '60s, while Kurt Schaffenberger's Lois Lane was certainly beautiful, she hardly seemed as glamorous as his Lana Lang. Funny, given--if you ignore the clothes and the hair--he drew them exactly the same. But, with her beautiful red hair, her stylish clothes and the way she posed, Lana looked like a model. Whereas, Lois had the sensible bob and was put in humiliating positions so she seemed less gorgeous than her rival.

When Schaffenberger's Lois was allowed to let her hair down and wear sexier fashions, then I'd say she was on par with Lana.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Attractive to me, btw, is considering everything tied to visual presentation and not just face or body. Seeing Schaffenberger Lois, I'd say that the classic image of her parachuting with her pillbox hat really fits who she is because it plays with the idea of her being both normal and exceptional. Another classic Lois image is the covert Lois from Action #655. I hate the term "tomboy" because of what it implies for gender, but that's probably the most understandable way in American culture to describe her hands-on, practical element. She's an army brat, after all. I don't think she should be depicted as posing for the camera though well prepared for her setting, however much her sense of fashion comes in.

Clark... whether he's big like Sale or Quitely versions, or chiseled and square jawed like Bogdanove did, I think somehow "rugged" just escapes him. I liked that about Cavill, too, that he looked to be in good shape and was actually handsome, but kinda boyish and a little nerdy without playing it up. He didn't draw much attention to himself. Like Lois I see Clark as really on the go, so you don't really think about his looks even if he has them. When he becomes Superman is when you notice his strong features, like his famously squinty eyes in many comics.

Both Superman and Lois should be attractive in my opinion. However, when he is in his civilian persona in public, Clark should try to minimise and hide his attractiveness.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman