Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman Foes from other Media to Add to Comics Continuity

With some news on the Superman boards about a character from outside comics being added to comics continuity, which Wonder Woman characters, and especially foes, from other media do you think most deserve and have a solid concept that could be revamped for the Wonder mythos in comics?

The Skrill?
    Zardor?
    Andros?
    Formicida?
    Solano?
    Tina from Ilandia?
    IRAC?
    Syrene?
    Or perhaps...Gault? (You can never have too many evil-brains-in-a-jar villains, if you ask me.)

What do you like about the character(s) you'd want to include in continuity? How would you change or revamp them to make them Wonder (Diana, Hippolyta, Donna, or Cassie)- or Amazon-worthy, whether they're a supporting character or villain?

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

What about Aresia from the Justice League cartoon? She's the closest thing to a dark counterpart to Diana and Diana doesn't really have one unlike Batman and Superman.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    What about Aresia from the Justice League cartoon? She's the closest thing to a dark counterpart to Diana and Diana doesn't really have one unlike Batman and Superman.
    I often thought she was the cartoon version of Alkyone, a bald Amazon who has tried to kill Diana ever since her birth.

Some bad guys from her TV show

Arthur Chapman - A scientist who can manipulate volcanoes and lava (could be called The Volcanic Man)

Hamlin Rule - A rockstar who can brainwash his fans (He could have a magical instrument, could be combined with The Music Meister)

The Falcon - Irish mercenary (name need to be change, maybe Black Falcon)

Formicida - Insect controlling terrorist (could have a connection to H.I.V.E./Queen Bee)

Count Cagliostro - A Mage (based on Italian magician Alessandro Cagliostro, could be combined with Angle Man)

BANNED

I don't know who or what IRAC is, but it seems a poor choice for villain for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't know who or what IRAC is, but it seems a poor choice for villain for obvious reasons.
    He was a computer. And unless there's an episode I didn't see where he was reprogrammed, not a villain. Steve and Diana basically used him as a plot device to figure out who the villains for the episode were mostly.

Yeah, IRAC was not a villain and even though I mentioned "foe" in the topic headline, I also mentioned supporting characters in the my OP. So, I'm good with foes or supporting characters from other media being discussed.

Whatever floats your boat.

I like Aresia in the Justice League animated, so I'm good if she made a comeback as an Amazon, etc. Like Mutant God said, she does remind me of Alkyone of The Circle though.

If this reality sticks around post-Doomsday Clock or another Crisis and Themyscira opens itself up to Patriarch's World, I could see a storyline where an Amazon or a few Amazons turn their backs on the ways of Themyscira in favor of Patriarch's World - and possibly the Banas. (I never loved the idea that Luthor's one time henchwomen, Mercy and Hope, were Amazons without really ever explaining their story.)

We kind of saw this "turning your back on Amazon ways" or severely misinterpreting Amazon ways, generally, with Persephone in the Wonder Woman animated film, but maybe with some more thought a creator could up with something for Aresia that pushes her character forward.

I'll give it a shot...

I can definitely see the Skrill, Zardor, and Andros being adapted into comics continuity. While Diana has quite a few godly antagonists, she could use establishing some extraterrestrial foes all her own.

For the Skrill (I kind of love that their name is so close to Skrull), I'd reimagine them as a species and major empire from the other side of the, now busted, Source Wall. Cruising into the Prime universe looking for resources, new energy sources, and to expand their culture and power. Zardor, a completely different species than the Skrill, is their main enforcer for "reasons" - playing off the serious Darth Vader vibes and look they gave it in the show. As its story gets told, we discover Zardor did have some conflicts with the Skrill, but has been working with them for a long time.

Andros, yet another species from beyond the Source Wall, is scientist-adventurer (think: Adam Strange-ish) that opposes the Skrill, but possibly for dark and dubious reasons all his own.

I'd use this storyline and introduction of characters to also reintroduce Eviless and her coterie of alien "collaborators" from the Prime universe as hired informants, procurers, spies, deal-makers, thieves, mercenaries, technicians, bounty hunters, weaponers, etc. Having kept a stellar, if not prolific (but outside of Earth's knowledge), reputation through a dual identity of her own, if criminal activity is happening in the galaxy, it's assured that Eviless has her hand/tentacle/talon in it and is getting her cut.

Evilless has her own spaceship and sees the Skrill as an opportunity to enhance not only her personal wealth and influence in the galaxy and beyond, but also is lured into participation by the immense challenge the situation poses to her. Especially as she's yet to, and smartly so, come in contact with Earth and ensnared it in her schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I like Aresia in the Justice League animated, so I'm good if she made a comeback as an Amazon, etc. Like Mutant God said, she does remind me of Alkyone of The Circle though.

If this reality sticks around post-Doomsday Clock or another Crisis and Themyscira opens itself up to Patriarch's World, I could see a storyline where an Amazon or a few Amazons turn their backs on the ways of Themyscira in favor of Patriarch's World - and possibly the Banas. (I never loved the idea that Luthor's one time henchwomen, Mercy and Hope, were Amazons without really ever explaining their story.)

We kind of saw this "turning your back on Amazon ways" or severely misinterpreting Amazon ways, generally, with Persephone in the Wonder Woman animated film, but maybe with some more thought a creator could up with something for Aresia that pushes her character forward.
    Except unlike the ideas you suggested Aresia is an extremist Amazon. I could be an interesting way of doing things. Could have her lead a terrorist cell made of Amazons.

Except unlike the ideas you suggested Aresia is an extremist Amazon. I could be an interesting way of doing things. Could have her lead a terrorist cell made of Amazons.
    You didn't find Alkyone or Persephone extremist?

For IRAC, I'd probably introduce it as an AI that was develop specifically for ARGUS and for ARGUS agents, scientists, researchers, archeologists, technologists, etc. to use.

There might be something interesting there to play with considering the Doctor Cyber AI and other foes developing technology (Doctor Cale, etc.) I mean, we've had AI versions of JARVIS in Avengers/Iron Man and the Danger Room becoming Danger - no reason not to play around with the concept in Wonder Woman and see if there's something new to say with or interesting to portray about IRAC in Wonder Woman.

I also like my Amazons technologically advanced (so I'm hoping that becomes canon again some day), so it'd be interesting to have IRAC interface and interact with advanced Amazon technology, let alone all the alien and villain tech in the Red Room and magical items in the Black Room or dangerous beings being housed in the Circus (there could be some techno or techno-organic beings being incarcerated.)

I see IRAC as being good for research, data, and safe interaction with potentially dangerous artifacts and beings in ARGUS, but not being a deus ex machina for Diana, Steve, Etta, and ARGUS teams in the field when encountering threats.

Honestly there aren't any that I'd want to see in the comics. Formicida is the closest, I guess. I'd rather they keep their focus on building her classic rogues.

That does sound suspiciously close to what Alkyone did with the Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    You didn't find Alkyone or Persephone extremist?
    Persephone betrayed the Amazons and sided with Ares and disagreed with Hippolyta's policies hardly an extremist thing. Alkyone I'm not too familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    That does sound suspiciously close to what Alkyone did with the Circle.
    Yeah not too familiar with Alkyone.

Persephone betrayed the Amazons and sided with Ares and disagreed with Hippolyta's policies hardly an extremist thing. Alkyone I'm not too familiar with.
    Well, I'd consider her an extremist given that she sides with Ares, one of the Amazons greatest foes and prisoners.

Different strokes, different folks, I guess.

Regarding Alkyone, "The Circle" is a pretty good story in Simone's run. I recommend it. She inserted something new into Diana's origin without turning the whole thing topsy turvey.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 06-25-2018 at 08:20 PM.