Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default KRYPTON television show

So, now that the first season is finished, and has been renewed for a second season on the SyFy channel ...

If you watched the show, what do you think of it?

As a general tv watcher?

As a sci-fi aficionado?

As a Superman fan?

Me, personally:

The first half of Season 1 (episode 1 through episode 5) was a bit of a slog. I really wasn't sure where this show was going. But the second half of the season (eps 6 - 10) were each more engrossing than the last.

The difference? A man named Dru, aka OUR General Zod.

Once he showed up proper, things got crazy in the best way possible. This wasn't a boring predictable prequel anymore, it is now a time traveling Alternate Universe ... and those are much more fun!

For those who haven't given it a shot yet, here's a spoilery recap of the first part of the season:

All in all, I think KRYPTON is a worthy addition to the Superverse and am eagerly awaiting Season 2!
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-23-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Oh, here's the spoilery recap for the second half of Season 1:

We finally got a great live-Action Brainiac. Their Zod is great too, on par with Shannon’s. I like Nyssa a bit more than Seg, but both are likeable. I’m very excited to see what happens next season.

Incredible Member

Zod's addition definitely made the season better, it made things more interesting because we knew that the main characters must lose in order to save Superman and the future, and if they won, which is the normal thing we would want-hope, Superman wouldn't exist anymore.

In the pilot Adam Strange refers to Superman as the greatest hero in the universe. At least this series treat Superman with respect.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So, now that the first season is finished, and has been renewed for a second season on the SyFy channel ...

If you watched the show, what do you think of it?

As a general tv watcher?

As a sci-fi aficionado?

As a Superman fan?

Me, personally:

The first half of Season 1 (episode 1 through episode 5) was a bit of a slog. I really wasn't sure where this show was going. But the second half of the season (eps 6 - 10) were each more engrossing than the last.

The difference? A man named Dru, aka OUR General Zod.

Once he showed up proper, things got crazy in the best way possible. This wasn't a boring predictable prequel anymore, it is now a time traveling Alternate Universe ... and those are much more fun!

For those who haven't given it a shot yet, here's a spoilery recap of the first part of the season:

All in all, I think KRYPTON is a worthy addition to the Superverse and am eagerly awaiting Season 2!
    I agree with pretty much all you said here. The last 2 episodes were simply phenomenal TV for me. I love the love and respect Superman and his mythos gets in this show. Also love how different in tone is to the DC/CW shows. Supergirl's quality really dipped this last season, so Krypton is such a godsend for me. I love how rich the characters are. The storytelling and imagination is on fire with Kryton's season 1 finale. Hopefully Season 2 keeps this way and better.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I was very leary of this show when it was announced and thought it was just going to be another Gotham (which I tried to watch but just couldn't bring myself to care about). Then I saw the set pics and my interest went up because it looked like they were spending some good money on this. Then I saw the Brainiac pics and was blown away. The show did start a little slow, but most shows that have a lot of world building to do so I was ok with. I was like everyone else in that start figuring there was only one way this could go with them somehow driving Brainiac back ....... then they threw in the curve ball and it blew the show wide open. It was just such a great storytelling move to make it Zod who was the time traveler Adam was sent back to stop and not Brainiac. It turned everything on its head because now Adam was actually the bad guy trying to stop the man who wanted to save Krypton, even though to Adam he was just trying to keep history flowing the way to already had.

And to top it all off you had this monster teased ....

Colin Salmon 's Zod is, IMHO, the best Live Action Dru Zod (LADZ) we've ever had.

He is imperiously intelligent like Terrence Stamp (LADZ I).

He is sinisterly charismatic like Callum Blue (LADZ II).

He is ferociously patriotic like Michael Shannon (LADZ III).

He is physically imposing like Mark Gibbons (LADZ IV).

As LADZ V, Colin Salmon takes the crown.

Kneel before (this) Zod!
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-30-2018 at 05:57 AM.

I watched for Brainiac and I was disappointed in that regard but Zod was just fantastic in it, it was a great exploration of the character and is probably what I would show to anyone that would ask me why Zod is a great Superman villain

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I suspect the second season will be much stronger than the first now that the shackles are off and they can just do their own thing without having to worry about everything leading towards Superman.

Let's talk about the show's lead, Seg-El, played by British actor Cameron Cuffe.

Dude is 25 years old, 6'1" tall, and a legit Superman fan. I used to think that last bit wouldn't or shouldn't matter that much, but now I think it kinda does.

Cavill and Routh were both big Superman fans before being cast, while Welling infamously wasn't. I like that Cuffe falls into the former category.

I also like his Seg-El. He's brash, rough around the edges, but clearly means well. He's not Kal, and his Seg is supposed to be very different from his grandson. So when Seg doesn't act like Kal (which is the default), there's no surprise. But when he does (which was not the norm), Seg reminded me a lot of Morrison's New52 (T-shirt and Jeans) Superman.

So, Cuffe automatically gets the freedom from expectation that Welling never got (and was burdened with for 10 years). Good for him: this way Cuffe will likely be able to actually enjoy his time in the Superverse.

Story- wise: Do you think that the baby Seg and Nyssa asexually created is going to become Jor-El? Or has this timeline already been altered so much that Superman never exists here (as indicated by the final shot of the Cape)?

Let's talk about the show's lead, Seg-El, played by British actor Cameron Cuffe.

Dude is 25 years old, 6'1" tall, and a legit Superman fan. I used to think that last bit wouldn't or shouldn't matter that much, but now I think it kinda does.

Cavill and Routh were both big Superman fans before being cast, while Welling infamously wasn't. I like that Cuffe falls into the former category.

I also like his Seg-El. He's brash, rough around the edges, but clearly means well. He's not Kal, and his Seg is supposed to be very different from his grandson. So when Seg doesn't act like Kal (which is the default), there's no surprise. But when he does (which was not the norm), Seg reminded me a lot of Morrison's New52 (T-shirt and Jeans) Superman.

So, Cuffe automatically gets the freedom from expectation that Welling never got (and was burdened with for 10 years). Good for him: this way Cuffe will likely be able to actually enjoy his time in the Superverse.

Story- wise: Do you think that the baby Seg and Nyssa asexually created is going to become Jor-El? Or has this timeline already been altered so much that Superman never exists here (as indicated by the final shot of the Cape)?
    Jor-El would probably end up existing, but Kal-El doesn't. At least not the version we think of as Kal-El.

Or in this timeline Zod raised Kal. Maybe he is known as Kal-Zod. And he is General Zod's second in command.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

So, Lobo will be making his Live-Action debut in Season 2 of KRYPTON next year.

Well, well, well. This could be interesting. At least SyFy knows how to do good F/X on a budget.

All I can say, I'm glad it's here instead of on SUPERGIRL. On that show, Lobo would look like piss-poor make-up AND Lobo would wind up saying some forced praise that Kara was 10x the fighter Superman ever was.

Or worse, Kara would show Lobo the errors of his ways, and he'd fall in love with her.

In case you weren't sure, SUPERGIRL is dead to me. Which sucks because I was following that show's development a full year before it first aired on CBS.

I'm excited as hell. Colu? Lobo? Sounds amazing, but I hope they're able to relatively wrap everything up at the end of this season, because I'm not sure they'll get a third. You still have people who won't even give this show a chance.