Amazing Member

Default Questions about storing omnibus vertically

So I have gotten a huge amount of Omnibus recently and got myself a new bookshelf, but I've read that storing some of the big Omnibuses vertically normally can eventually make the pages sag down due to gravity doing it's thing.

My question is, how big should the omnibus be before I need to worry about something like this? Like would my 850 pages Planetary Omni be okay normally or my 1000 page Runaways Omni or would those also need some sort of support? Or is it only for the really big ones like 1200-1500? Also what would be the best method to prop up the pages?

Spectacular Member

I can't speak about omnibuses specifically, but if any of my coffee table style books have interior pages that aren't flush with the actual hardcover, then I store them flat. Otherwise, gravity will eventually do its thing. Maybe I'm overprotective, but better safe than sorry.

It can vary depending on the paper weight and binding.
    Some, like my massive Doom Patrol Omni, are perfectly fine and I have much smaller collections, like my East of West HC, that suffer from the weight pulling the block away from the spine.
    I usually stack small pieces of card under the block to take the weight.

At the end of the day, who cares? It doesn't affect your ability to read them.

Spectacular Member

I care if I later pull that book off the shelf and realize the pages are pulling away from the inside of the spine, especially at the top. It makes an expensive book look sloppy and feel loose.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

A sloppy looking loose book with great material beats a mint condition book of garbage.

It’s what’s inside that counts. But yeah, try to take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I care if I later pull that book off the shelf and realize the pages are pulling away from the inside of the spine, especially at the top. It makes an expensive book look sloppy and feel loose.
    Then you're right, if you store it on your bookshelf like normal it will look sloppy and feel loose in about a hundred years.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Im thinking of getting a sheet of foam and cutting it to size, would that be enough or would i need something a bit harder?
    I also have some backing boards i could cut up and put the non acidic side facing the pages. Any thoughts?

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RickyMeister View Post
    Any thoughts?
    My thought would be not worrying about it too much.

According to some libraries, a book should only be laid on its side if its height exceeds 40 cm. (16") and/or its thickness exceeds 8 cm. (3"). I tend to agree with this assertion.

Im thinking of getting a sheet of foam and cutting it to size, would that be enough or would i need something a bit harder?
    I also have some backing boards i could cut up and put the non acidic side facing the pages. Any thoughts?
    Both'd work fine, i imagine.

I have tried this and it seems to work, however I only made it through so many books before saying screw it and giving up on measuring and cutting up boards.