Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The X-men post Claremont were great. Most of the problems with those years were minor. I thought Onslaught being revealed to be Professor X was stupid and frankly the only problem with that story. I think the teams were great. I like that the core books were mostly made up of actual X-men and they used titles like X-Factor to give cool supporting cast members a title to shine in while also being ankered by a few X-men. I liked every title. I also like how the characters were written consistantly. When a new writer replaced another it didn't seem like we were reading a completely different character. When there was a creative change everything in the title wasn't screwed with like it is now. Editorial was on point and kept things running smoothly. I could go on like this forever.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

I enjoyed the 92-99ish (even into the 00s, but definitely not past the ending of XXM) era very much. The art was consistently good, the storylines, while some could have been executed better, were original and action-packed. The books were actually comics, and didnt have to bend to the writers personal feelings, political views or what was happening on the big screen. There were less distractions. Most of the sociological issues came from within the books themselves (for example; OZT was definitely polically themed, like the vast majority of the X-Men books, but it wasnt directly reflecting anything close to what was going on IRL. It was fiction. More "what if?"), they weren't really reflecting the world, which is for the most part, depressing IMO.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

The Dark Ages. Mostly trash except the all too brief Kelly & Segale era.

It was okay though because the satellite teams (X-Factor, Excalibur, X-Force, Gen X) were generally kickass.

BANNED

i liked that era because I had no idea what was going on behind the scenes. No idea who the writers/artists/editors were and all the drama around creating a comic book. Never knew about solicitations, previews, spoilers, and didn't find things on the internets.

"The Post Claremont and Pre Morrison era from the X-Men"...was the true Golden Age of Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
    "The Post Claremont and Pre Morrison era from the X-Men"...was the true Golden Age of Comics.
    It was the squandered commercial peak, but not the creative peak.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    It was the squandered commercial peak, but not the creative peak.
    Yeah, i think that creative peak goes more from the 80s, the 90s aren't as bad as some people sell it, the 2000s actually has lower lows IMO, but in may ways it was like a lot of potential that never quite pay off sadly.

BANNED

I've said it a few times on here but I LOVED

Fatal attractions
    Blood ties
    Bleeding souls
    AoA
    Road to Onslaught
    Onslaught
    Operation Zero Tolerance
    Trial of Gambit
    Hunt for Xavier
    Twelve

Wolverine
    Generation X
    X-Man
    Uncanny X-Men
    X-Men
    Excalibur

We had some of the greatest artist as well from Joe Mad, Pacheco, Bachelo, Cruz, Salvador and Kuberts.

Overall, I enjoyed it at the time. But its surprising that I’ve hardly went back to reread anything during that time. I loved Alan Davis Excalibur and PAD X-Factor (in the beginning). Nicieza and Capullo’s X-Force was super sexy. I even like John F Moore’s X-Force when they were on their own without their “Older White Man” Father figure. Although, I hated how poorly Sam was treated when he “graduated” to full-time X-Man.
    As for the characters, the ones that stood out for me that didn’t fare well were: Storm, who lost all her edge, Rogue, who lost most of her fun, thanks to her ill-fated love story with Remy, Rachel, because they wanted Jean to be Phoenix again, Captain Britain and Meggan, and Scott, who I felt lose all of his personality; he was this humorless boy scout.

My hate for Logan began around, which also saw the total regression of Magneto as a character.

One day I’ll go up into my attic and pull out those old issues and reread them as a jaded adult.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Yeah, i think that creative peak goes more from the 80s, the 90s aren't as bad as some people sell it, the 2000s actually has lower lows IMO, but in may ways it was like a lot of potential that never quite pay off sadly.
    Actually, Claremont was the still undefeated commercial peak(X-Men #1), but the post Claremont era coasted on his creative capital that was built up in the 80's. I do think the 90's were better than most of the modern stuff(which is just horrible after Morrison for the most part), but even as a child I quit buying/reading before the decade was over(around the Alan Davis period). Morrison's New X-Men and Claremont's X-treme was the renaissance that the franchise desperately needed, but it's been a steep decline since that relatively brief pop(what, only 40-50 issues). Claremont's original run gave us almost 200 issues. And they were thicc with content. #fatandjuicey

Astonishing Member

When I think 'X-men' and the '90's', I basically think of the cartoon. Which is what X-men '92 capitalizes on, I suppose. But the irony is that while the cartoon borrowed the designs and the look and feel of 90's X-men comics, it mostly adapted stories from the 70's and 80's Claremont era.

I actually wonder how much the Dark Phoenix movie will borrow from either the comics of the time, or the cartoon.

The people at Fox couldn't be bothered to actually read the Claremont run, even after 20 years. I doubt the DP movie will have anything more that the most superficial references to the actual canon. Really looking forward to the MCU's interpretation of the X-Men yet to come!

BANNED

I used to think that way because I absolutely loved how there were these different individual stories that all came together.....until I read an interview with the editor who said they had to MAKE Claremont bring everything together and that wasn't Claremont's original plan and in subsequent comments/interviews CC pretty much confirmed this.

So basically what we need is a strong editorial team that puts the giant ego of a writer in it's place to say "this doesnt make sense make it work"

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    I used to think that way because I absolutely loved how there were these different individual stories that all came together.....until I read an interview with the editor who said they had to MAKE Claremont bring everything together and that wasn't Claremont's original plan and in subsequent comments/interviews CC pretty much confirmed this.

So basically what we need is a strong editorial team that puts the giant ego of a writer in it's place to say "this doesnt make sense make it work"
    A balance is definetly required, wich to be fair is hard to find beetween editors and writters, i love Claremont's work, he did a lot for the X-Men and gave then a lot of depth (not mentioning being the guy that stablished my favorite characther), but i agree that not all his ideas were good (hi Madelyne), i still personally think that the 80s has the best stories for a creatove standpoint, but without the push of certain editors we would never had gotten things lile Kraven The Last Hunt for example.

Mighty Member

This time period was probably the star from many posters here on the X-Men, so i wanted to ask, what are the best and worst things about this era in your opinion (i ask to both fans and no fans of this particular era).
    The best:
    -Jott finally coming to fruition after 30 years
    -Most of Jim Lee's costume designs
    -Gambit and Rogue, particularly under Nicieza's pen
    -Warren Ellis's Excalibur
    -Lobdell and Nicieza organically maturing and resolving Claremont and Louise Simonson's leftover plotlines
    -Nicieza's runs on X-Force and Gambit
    -Lobdell's first 2 years on Generation X
    -Alan Davis's run as writer on Excalibur
    -Peter David's run on X-Factor
    -Mostly coherent continuity

The worst:
    -the abortion of Joe Kelly and Steve Seagle's plans, particularly for the O5
    -"Ages of Apocalypse", the back half of the final big Apocalypse crossover
    -Howard Mackie's X-Factor
    -the post-Davis, pre-Ellis Excalibur
    -Marrow--a sadistic mass murderer--joining the X-Men and getting a redemption arc
    -Larry Hama's run on Generation X
    -Marc Pacella's imitation of Rob Liefeld's art style
    -the misfire of Claremont's return to the core titles in 2000
    -the Warren Ellis/Ian Edginton run on X-Force
    -retconning Sugar Man into being responsible for Genosha and Dark Beast into being responsible for the Morlocks
    -Douglock