Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    They were in production at the same time; Dark Empire was originally going to be set right after Return of the Jedi (within a year, at the very most, is my understanding). Since Zahn refused to tailor his novel to fit the comic, the latter was modified to be set after the Thrawn books (about five years later than the original intent).
    I didn't know the behind the scenes stuff. Which can often be fascinating in and of itself.

Another recommendation besides the X-Wing novels is the X-Wing comic series. The comic series is written by the same Mike Stackpole who was behind the first 4 novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I didn't know the behind the scenes stuff. Which can often be fascinating in and of itself.

Another recommendation besides the X-Wing novels is the X-Wing comic series. The comic series is written by the same Mike Stackpole who was behind the first 4 novels.
    Was that published by Darkhorse or Marvel?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Was that published by Darkhorse or Marvel?
    Dark Horse. Trades should be available.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Dark Horse. Trades should be available.
    And Marvel reprinted them in Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The New Republic vols. 2 and 3.

For their first decade or so many of the Dark Horse comics were sort of side-stories to the novels and mostly avoided the film's characters or any major status shifts with the exception of Dark Empire, sort of creating their own epics like "Tales of the Jedi" which was a tale of the early wars between the Jedi and the Sith, and formed the foundation for Bioware's "Old Republic" game series. (They also might have inspired some elements of the films, as a double-bladed lightsaber is used by a sith lord in one of them.) They also fleshed out some of the lore introduced in the Jedi Academy novels (as well as Dark Empire). There was also Crimson Empire, about a Royal Guard who becomes allied to the Rebels in order to track down a traitor to the Empire (Eventually things get more complicated, and there's even an early tease of the NJO books in these). The X-wing series is pretty good as well, it's sort of a prequel of sorts to the novel series.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    They also fleshed out some of the lore introduced in the Jedi Academy novels (as well as Dark Empire).
    My understanding is that Kevin J. Anderson, who wrote those novels, was also involved with writing the comics in question.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yep, along with Tom Veitch.

I'm reading the Thrawn novel right now. No one writes Thrawn like Zahn.

I've just finished "Catalyst" myself, the "Rogue One" prequel. Gives some interesting insight into the Death Star's construction (also tying it with the Prequels/clone wars) Krennic and Tarkin's rivalry, as well as how Galen was duped by Krennic into helping design it. There's also a subplot with a smuggler that isn't quite as good, although it reveals in part the Saw Gerrara connection, although Saw doesn't seem quite as fiery or near-insane as he later appears.

It's written by James Luceno, who generally does the best "backstory" novels IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I've just finished "Catalyst" myself, the "Rogue One" prequel. Gives some interesting insight into the Death Star's construction (also tying it with the Prequels/clone wars) Krennic and Tarkin's rivalry, as well as how Galen was duped by Krennic into helping design it. There's also a subplot with a smuggler that isn't quite as good, although it reveals in part the Saw Gerrara connection, although Saw doesn't seem quite as fiery or near-insane as he later appears.

It's written by James Luceno, who generally does the best "backstory" novels IMO.
    It's been insinuated that he earned that over the years as his war continued. The Rebel Rising novel does have a bit where a teen Jyn Erso (who's been with him for years now) is unnerved by how paranoid he was becoming (and this was before he's reached his limits that we saw him at in the movies).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I have read many sw books and my favourite is ROTS novel. It's beautifully written and the gold standard for SW books.

Yeah, Stover definetly did a lot of "outside the box" Star Wars novels, even with ROTS he was given a lot of freedom to explore the character's inner thoughts. He even cut out a lot of the elevator shenanigans from the film's first act, instead focusing on Dooku's plans for Anakin post-war. (Which of course, he realized pretty soon, were not going to happen; "Treachery is the way of the Sith".)