Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default Could Anthology Movies Move Over to Disney Steaming Service?

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-obi-wa...aming-service/

Based on this I wonder if Disney is thinking that given how Netflix have played with movie exclusives (which admittedly have met with mixed success - see Blight, Whatever Happened to Monday and Cloverfield Paradox) that they could see the one-off anthology movies, especially those with a smaller budget, air on their streaming service. Certainly the prospect of a exclusive Star Wars movie, especially one with as notable a character as Obi-Wan, is going to bring in some major attention to the Disney subscription service, and might open the door to further releases in the future. One could even speculate that it would allow Disney to have the on screen focus shifted to the trilogy movies which the Chinese audiences would get, whilst at the same time allow for the more hard core Star Wars audiences to continue getting more varied and era or character focused movies. But there is a good chance the move could backfire if the service isn't flexible enough (and thus risk piracy).

What do you think? Should they go down this route or consider other options?

Hope not. Some of us are BluRay collectors.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Hope not. Some of us are BluRay collectors.
    Pretty sure Disney would still ultimately release them on DVD and Blu-ray, same as Netflix has done with House Of Cards, Daredevil and The Crown.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think it is almost a given they will put out some Star Wars movies on the streaming service. It might be a lower budget smaller story, but I think it is just too good a hook to get people to spring for the service not to do a couple that way. The Jon Favre series is a pretty strong hook already, but some original movies would really get them the looks they are going to want.

I think Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy are too old school to be putting movies on a streaming service.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

They'll have live action shows on the service but I can't see original movies being there.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Pretty sure Disney would still ultimately release them on DVD and Blu-ray, same as Netflix has done with House Of Cards, Daredevil and The Crown.
    Disney doesn't even give all their cartoon shows that air on actual TV full DVD releases and I could see them keeping some Star Wars content stream-exclusive as a starting point.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)