Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mighty Member

It went up today! Thanks, everyone!

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...east-so-awful/

PsychoEFrost is right; there's too much good stuff in All-New 25, so I decided to just use that, to make something more focused. Some good examples of biases in there. Why is Beast so awful? Now we know!
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post

PsychoEFrost is right; there's too much good stuff in All-New 25, so I decided to just use that, to make something more focused. Some good examples of biases in there. Why is Beast so awful? Now we know!
    A good article goes deeper into how he risked the whole timeline just to prove his point of view but makes mention of other equally disturbing facts.

At the bottom Beast is not a villain and suffers from the same problem that many heroes have suffered in recent years perhaps better reflect the society we live in today .

It is not only him several heroes have gone through the same situation leaving more and more of being those icons of justice pure and untouchable that one day they were to become more human and consequently passable of errors like any human being. While on one hand these stories create more layers for the characters on the other can actually do damage in how readers see the character for years.

Anyway I'll be rooting for Beast in Astonishing. He deserves a break and so do we .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    A good article goes deeper into how he risked the whole timeline just to prove his point of view but makes mention of other equally disturbing facts.

At the bottom Beast is not a villain and suffers from the same problem that many heroes have suffered in recent years perhaps better reflect the society we live in today .

It is not only him several heroes have gone through the same situation leaving more and more of being those icons of justice pure and untouchable that one day they were to become more human and consequently passable of errors like any human being. While on one hand these stories create more layers for the characters on the other can actually do damage in how readers see the character for years.

Anyway I'll be rooting for Beast in Astonishing. He deserves a break and so do we .
    Indeed, and sometimes, with some of them, you can only apply the word "hero" in the sense that they protect the world and the people from danger, but that doesn't stop them from being absolutely terrible people to know otherwise. Flaws definitely can make a heroic character more interesting and relatable, as can making errors, mistakes, or flat-out failures in judgment, but pile too much of it on, or make the flaws/failures/mistakes too extreme, and you end up with protagonists/"heroes" that are extremely difficult to root for or rally behind. They might be preferable to the actual villains, by and large, but how much of a difference does that make if they're ultimately one bad day or bad decision away from becoming villains themselves? I mean, just look at Dark Beast, he may be the worst possible version of Hank McCoy, but given how and where Hank himself has ended up, can we really say for sure that he won't someday turn out just as bad, if not worse?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post

No hero or villain that deliberately destroyed worlds and timelines has earned the disgust of Uatu like McCoy apparently has. Not Bishop, not Wolverine, not Cable, not Strange, not Apocalypse, not Doom, not Immortus, not Kang, not even Strife, who name refers to the fact he only went back in time to spread death and discord and left a manifesto behind that states outright that he only created the Legacy Virus to screw each individual person the past over, none of them would make the Monitor break his vows and abandon his duties wholesale just to take a moment to smacktalk them. Beast is objectively worse then the lot of them combined, as per Word of God.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    No hero or villain that deliberately destroyed worlds and timelines has earned the disgust of Uatu like McCoy apparently has. Not Bishop, not Wolverine, not Cable, not Strange, not Apocalypse, not Doom, not Immortus, not Kang, not even Strife, who name refers to the fact he only went back in time to spread death and discord and left a manifesto behind that states outright that he only created the Legacy Virus to screw each individual person the past over, none of them would make the Monitor break his vows and abandon his duties wholesale just to take a moment to smacktalk them. Beast is objectively worse then the lot of them combined, as per Word of God.
    Eh... I greatly dislike McCoy, but this is probably a bit much. I think it was more a case of something greivious occurring, combined with McCoy not really being able to smack Uatu back. Uatu is powerful, but not strong enough to just talk slap Apocalypse or Strife without consequences.

The other theory is that this was a "I act, but I don't" move by Uatu to try and get McCoy to change his ways before even worse stuff happens.

well done! i'm so glad we were able to help you in your research

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Eh... I greatly dislike McCoy, but this is probably a bit much. I think it was more a case of something greivious occurring, combined with McCoy not really being able to smack Uatu back. Uatu is powerful, but not strong enough to just talk slap Apocalypse or Strife without consequences.

The other theory is that this was a "I act, but I don't" move by Uatu to try and get McCoy to change his ways before even worse stuff happens.
    Uatu is one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy. And he has watched reality get destroyed few times over without ever doing anything or speaking up. Plenty characters currently busy endangering the planet (or planets) while McCoy was trying to get some sleep before the Watcher decided to open his mouth for the first time in years. There are bigger threats then McCoy, there has just never been a more deplorable motive in human history (all of which Uatu has mutely observed) then what McCoy tried to do to Cyclops.

Glad I could be of help.

Mighty Member

Thanks!

Being a science guy, I was more interested in pointing out the cognitive biases that lead Beast to his actions, ones that we're all prone to. Analyzing the nature of heroism through the lens of what he does would be cool too, but that's for someone else to write.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    He's just an Scott contrarian, he's jealous of him in a way, or thinks he hasn't suffered enough
    But I think the contrarian part has been just one of the many things he has been erratic. He was Cyclops' best friend. He wouldn't have been if he was always like that.

I think that Beast is becoming senile. Is a huge possibility and explains a lot. Working in labs for long periods of time + age can do that.

That would explain the whys somehow.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angrel-San View Post
    But I think the contrarian part has been just one of the many things he has been erratic. He was Cyclops' best friend. He wouldn't have been if he was always like that.

I think that Beast is becoming senile. Is a huge possibility and explains a lot. Working in labs for long periods of time + age can do that.

That would explain the whys somehow.
    or his mutation affecting his mind, he is one of the xmen that changes his physical appereance the most. (Toad has the record for that if he could be considered an xman)