Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Show me how awful Beast is

Hi all, I edit a science and skepticism section for a website called AiPT! Comics. I try to show examples of critical thinking in comics and other pop culture, and try to apply those same rules to pop culture.

I know you guys agree with me that one person in comics who isn't very critical about his own actions is Beast. He seems to think that just because he's a smart guy, everything he does is right, and only he knows how to fix everything. Whether it's his holier-than-thou spitting at Cyclops during Nightcrawler's funeral or, most egregiously, messing with the time stream to bring the original X-Men to the present, he seems convinced that his **** doesn't stink and nothing he does can have negative repercussions.

I'd like to write about how he's wrong. And I could use your help! Can you point to other examples of Beast using logical fallacies or generally thinking he knows best about everything? Refresh my memory; WERE there in-story ramifications for Beast's screwing with time? Are there particularly good panels that show how awful he is?

Shoutouts on the bottom of the article for everyone who contributes! Thank you!
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

My favorite observation is that Beast is bipolar, and has some level of control of his swings. He's wildly charismatic at times and intensely focused on science in others. The theory is he's been experimenting on himself for years, and that's ANOTHER one of the side effects.

I love Beast. I don't mind they confronted his behavior. I mind that they villainized him.

I think Beast reached the top when he joined the Illuminattis.

The moment you join a secret group making decisions that affect a whole universe and hide the truth of the world and their elected leaders or help with creating bombs to destroy planets believing that 7 or 8 individuals have the right to decide something for all humanity is something scary and definitely raises a great doubt about moral standards.

I do not blame the Illuminattis for necessarily thinking of all the possibilities to stop incursions and prepare themselves. I think it's hypocritical that they believe that as the most intelligent minds on the planet they think this choice belongs to them and to no one else. They really believed that their allies, friends and the whole world were inferior to them and that they had no right to have an opinion or vote about it which is absurd.

The fact that the young version of Beast now being using magic by ignoring the risks without a teacher or master shows how arrogant he is.

I hope Astonishing brings the good and fun old Beast scientist back.
    Last edited by Knives; 06-25-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Beast isn't awful. He is awesome, it's just that for years the X-books have made a lot of stupid bad drama. He is not perfect and has made mistakes but Wolverine and Cyclops have made even more mistakes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Haha, do you know what issue this is from?
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Arrow

Beast is a genocidal murderer just like the Scarlet Witch.

Cyclops and Wolverine on their worst days have nothing on Beast. That includes DP Cyclops which is big all things considering.

Astonishing Member

I am pretty sure Beast commited genocide twice. Once when he made that bomb to destroy that city, I dont even remember what that story was about. He asked something like "how many people did I just kill?" and they told him to do the maths.

The other time, when he helped destroy the planet of the not-justice-league with the Illuminati

He has also brought the O5 from the past for petty reasons, ruinning the timeline, was a chancellor for a fascist government with Stevil, betrayed mutants working for Inhumans, and also worked with Dark Beast trying to find a cure for MDay.
    He is also a very whiny hypocrite, but I guess that doesnt make him a monster.

And then people wonder why i don't want Hickman in the X-Men.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

are people forgetting that Beast wasn't alone? Reed, Tony, T'challa, the biggest minds of the marvel universe were into that too. that in the end they didn't even blow up the planet (Namor did).

Also all these planets were going to die anyway. destroying one only gave more time to the others and all these universes were restored at the end.

BANNED

And who said Stark, Namor, Reed Richards and T'challa are not genocidal monsters, either?
    The Avengers, Inhumans and Reed Richards are monsters. I've said that a lot of times.
    In fact, it seems the X-Men, among them, Jean, don't care about some genocidal being X-Men, but they hate Scott for something he did when he was possessed and for something he didn't do.

And you're saying that killing billions on a planet to save Earth-616 was correct?
    Riiight.

Also, Beast also used a cosmic artifact to kill millions of Kree.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Haha, do you know what issue this is from?
    AvX #6 or 7.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Beast isn't awful. He is awesome, it's just that for years the X-books have made a lot of stupid bad drama. He is not perfect and has made mistakes but Wolverine and Cyclops have made even more mistakes.
    When Shield and Cap came after him guess who he went for help?

The problem is not whether he is better or worse than Cyclops or the other Illuminattis. Is about him despite his mistakes continue to judge others as if he were better than them.

Recently in UA we had at least a glimpse of the good old Beast that we love but in the mutant titles he continues being portrayed as jerk.

So hope Astonishing is a new beginning for him.
    Last edited by Knives; 06-25-2018 at 08:56 AM.

I think that the problem that most people had with Beast is not that he did horrible things, is that he isn't called out for those horrible things.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I think that the problem that most people had with Beast is not that he did horrible things, is that he isn't called out for those horrible things.
    He got called out for them at the end of Bendis' run on Uncanny, Kieron Gillen's on Uncanny and in the Inhumans vs X-Men arc by Lemire. Problem is that at the start of every relaunch, there's a new problem for the X-Men to tackle and Beast gets called on to delivering technical exposition, or name dropped as one of the people working on the problem. Astonishing might be good for Beast, so long as all the other writers get the message that the X-Men should be portrayed as being completely done with calling upon Beast for scientific expertise.