Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Detective Comics 983 Preview/Discussion (1st issue of Bryan Hill)

Ouch, poor Duke... He really needs to learn to always use his Signal powers, since they would have come in handy there... But hopefully, Hill will make him shine. Plus the artist really makes his costume looks cool !

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Nice! Is that Vicki Vale on tv? I thought I remember seeing Hill mentioning Vicki, but I don't see her name...
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Great looking pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Great looking pencils.
    I like Mendonca - he and Briones did some good work during Tynion's run - but I have yet to see him really stand out as an artist like Martinez or Barrows did. He feels a lot like the really strong, clean work of someone like Rick Burchett or Shawn Martinborough, who did really fine work on Tec with Rucka writing.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like the art.
    Poor kid. Great way to make me like a 3-page character just by how enthusiastic and innocent he is.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I like Mendonca - he and Briones did some good work during Tynion's run - but I have yet to see him really stand out as an artist like Martinez or Barrows did. He feels a lot like the really strong, clean work of someone like Rick Burchett or Shawn Martinborough, who did really fine work on Tec with Rucka writing.
    As much as I felt it brought a noir style to the book, I hated Martinborough on Detective.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    As much as I felt it brought a noir style to the book, I hated Martinborough on Detective.
    Interesting. What particularly didn't work for you? I do think that the Lieber/Martinborough/McDaniel/McCarthy/Burchett style from the early 2000s is a very appealing, but often a bit simplistic seeming compared to the Jim Lee/Finch/Daniel style that overtook them a few years later

Nice! Is that Vicki Vale on tv? I thought I remember seeing Hill mentioning Vicki, but I don't see her name...
    Just asked Hill on twitter, and he says that it's NOT Vicki, though he does like the Vale.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Great art indeed!
    I have to confess, I'm a bad person cause I felt finally satisfied watching Duke failing as the novice he is

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Great art indeed!
    I have to confess, I'm a bad person cause I felt finally satisfied watching Duke failing as the novice he is
    To be fair (and this might get rage from other quarters), Batman just fell for the same trick in Batman #48.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

To be fair (and this might get rage from other quarters), Batman just fell for the same trick in Batman #48.
    I didn't remember it, and anyway I like that too. I really appreciate the humanization work done by King on Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I didn't remember it, and anyway I like that too. I really appreciate the humanization work done by King on Batman.
    I agree.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Looks decent. Art’s okay, but I’d much rather have Sebastian Fiumara continuing the series.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Looks decent. Art’s okay, but I’d much rather have Sebastian Fiumara continuing the series.
    Absolutely! Fiumara's last issue was amazing!