Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I didn't see it as that but I understand where you're coming from. I saw it as a way to show the stakes of the situation while giving Duke a challenge to overcome but looking at it through that lens, i agree, they could have handled it in a way that didn't completely take away his agency for the sake of Bruce's motivation. Especially with a villain that all but outright says that's what they're doing.
    The only way I can see that logic is if Duke would be the one to take down the villain himself. But with the ensemble in play, I don't see that happening. The most I see is him doing maybe discovering clues to take down the villain, but with Cassandra who's the greatest fighter in Batman's entourage and Batman himself leading the charge, I don't see Duke getting the go ahead to take the villain down.

I didn't love the art. Detective should be dark and gritty. This wasn't that .
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Can you elaborate? Because I never understood how DC's "pushing" him when (outside of We are Robin and his mini) he barely does anything but exist on page.
    Don't bring logic into this conversation

For some him just existing is a call for him being shoved down folks throats.

Duke came at time where there were issue with the Bat Family that went beyond the books. Where folks in charge have messed up MANY at DC-however because those at the time were in charge were pandering to groups.

So instead of taking Johns and friends for the mess that Tim Drake (among others) have been tossed into to task-because Batman, Hal, Barry and the "classics" were on top-it became lets attack the new character (especially if they are POC) and FORGET a lot of characters were in bad shape before New 52 or creation of Duke (among others).

Define pushing Duke? Compared to say Falcon as Cap America.

Falcon got 2 ongoings, 3 minis, 4 figures as CA, lead 2 versions of Avengers, got 2 sidekicks, a TON of variant covers and a role in an event.
    Miles 3 ongoings, 3 minis, 10 figures, 3 statues, 3 lead roles in 3 team books, tons of guest spots, a movie, ton of variants and roles in 4 events.

Duke-1 mini, 1 DC Showcase story, 1 variant cover on All Star Batman, 35 pages in the main Batman book, 1 figure, 2 WAR trades, his own trade and a cameo in an event. So that is being shoved in people faces mean at DC?

I hate to see what happens if DC actually invest in Duke-since SOMEONE has to counter Miles Morales. Since all the other black male teens are MIA at DC now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Agreed! Batman doesn't fight in the past, he fights for the future and present - to save people now, and to make a better world!
    He doesn't need the family to do that. He's perfectly capable of saving people and fighting to make the world better all by himself. I'm not saying the family should go away or be killed off but there should be a wall of separation between Batman and the family.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    He doesn't need the family to do that. He's perfectly capable of saving people and fighting to make the world better all by himself. I'm not saying the family should go away or be killed off but there should be a wall of separation between Batman and the family.
    Without a family, he has no future himself, he's just fighting for other people's futures.

I definitely disagree that a wall of separation would help anything. I mean, there's still plenty of solo Batman stories.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Enjoyed this issue. I like Hill's writing. He set up everything nicely. His Batman and Black Lightning were both on point. I really liked when Bruce told J'onn, I called Clark I'd say Hill is off to a good start.

This really needs to set up an Outsiders title. With the discussion of these bat family members, I think a title on their own, even a team book, which when done right, can do wonders for characters. And I think Hill would give it a great effort. Give them their own stories, give them room, give their personalities some shine time. They will develop much better than just having them pop up in Batman here and there as guest bat member #9. Want these characters to succeed and grow and win over fans? Give them their own title and get them from under Batman's wing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Without a family, he has no future himself, he's just fighting for other people's futures.

I definitely disagree that a wall of separation would help anything. I mean, there's still plenty of solo Batman stories.
    I don't think Batman is concerned about his future. He's not fighting for himself but for others. Also I don't think he wants a successor or an heir to the mantle of the bat, if others want pick up the torch after him then fine but I don't see him actively seeking one. Batman wants everyone to be their own person, no mini versions of himself and I don't think it was ever his plan to have anyone continue on as Batman after him.

The villian in this issue made a valid point, Batman was someone to be feared, someone that instilled terror; not anymore. Now he's public and got an army of masked people running around Gotham. He's franchised out, practically gone corporate. The fear, the aura, the mystique is gone. Batman's got himself a family.

I don't think Batman is concerned about his future. He's not fighting for himself but for others. Also I don't think he wants a successor or an heir to the mantle of the bat, if others want pick up the torch after him then fine but I don't see him actively seeking one. Batman wants everyone to be their own person, no mini versions of himself and I don't think it was ever his plan to have anyone continue on as Batman after him.

The villian in this issue made a valid point, Batman was someone to be feared, someone that instilled terror; not anymore. Now he's public and got an army of masked people running around Gotham. He's franchised out, practically gone corporate. The fear, the aura, the mystique is gone. Batman's got himself a family.
    I agree with you on several points:

1) Batman doesn't want a successor. In Deathstroke recently, Batman said he doesn't want anyone to have to be Batman after him, that he's working to make himself unnecessary.

2) Batman doesn't plan for a successor. I really, really HATE the way Snyder has Bruce make clones of himself, and the fact that he STILL hasn't given up on this horrific plan really frustrates me.

(That being said, I love Batman successor stories - but the important thing about all of them is that Bruce pretty much has to die for it to happen).

3) Bruce doesn't want copies of himself. For all the bad stuff in it, I thought Batman and Robin Eternal had a great scene where Bruce is training Damian, and he tells his son that he's never wanted soldiers or copies of himself.

Those points of agreement (and I think they are significant), I then pretty much jump ship.

I love the idea of Batman going corporate - mostly because I think Batman Inc was a brilliant idea, a brilliant era for the Batfamily and Batman stories, and because it's both so radical and yet so in-character.

Batman is to be feared, but he's also a huge symbol of hope. The Batsignal isn't just or even mostly to scare criminals: it's to give the ordinary citizens of Gotham hope. And sometimes, it inspires them to become a hero themselves. The best parts of Rucka's runs have always been those moments where you see Batman inspiring someone - Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood, Batwoman: Elegy.

I don't find the mystique to be that important to me. To me, Batman is hope. And a huge part of that hope is family.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Extraordinary Member

What I find odd is that Cass seems really concerned about Duke but both had sofar iirc no interaction.

I really don't like if they just act like charcters have an established relation, even if it was never shown on panel.
    Last edited by Aahz; 06-28-2018 at 12:30 AM.

I'm gonna ride or die with the villian. The family does make Batman weaker and dilute's his mission. Unpopular take but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    What I find odd is that Cass seems really concerned about Duke but both had sofar iirc no interaction.

I really don't like if they just act like charcters have an established relation, even if it was never shown on panel.
    Well, they're both shown at breakfast in Batman and the Signal #3. But even more, Cass is ALWAYS concerned about people - it's one of her big things.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

I mean, if one of my coworkers got blown out a window I'd be really concerned for them too.

I liked the issue, I already expressed I like the art, but so far the story has been very good too. Going to enjoy this arc.

Astonishing Member

Liked the art and the story.

Did I misread or did Karma call Batman "Bruce"?

If so, then Karma is someone that Batman saved and knows his identity. Does this narrow down who Karma could be?

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Liked the art and the story.

Did I misread or did Karma call Batman "Bruce"?

If so, then Karma is someone that Batman saved and knows his identity. Does this narrow down who Karma could be?
    Yes, from what we can tell, Karma knows WAY too much about Bruce and his family.