View Poll Results: Rate Dan Slott's ASM Run

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • A---One of the greatest runs ever!

24 30.00%
  • B---Very good; consistently entertaiing!

28 35.00%
  • C---Just ok; kind of pedestrian.

11 13.75%
  • D---Below Average; not very enjoyable.

9 11.25%
  • F---Poor; one of the worst runs ever on ASM.

5 6.25%
  • Incomplete---Did not read enough to grade.

3 3.75%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spectacular Member swing kinker's Avatar

He's clearly a good writer so it's not a knock on his talents but he lost me a bunch of times. It seemed every arc was trying to change the status quo or do something outside the box which is fine but sometimes I just want a good wee story inside an established world. That said his best arcs were fantastic but for me they were too few and far between.
    Last edited by swing kinker; 09-29-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    https://www.bigglasgowcomicpage.com/.../kinkerkorner/ My pop culture lists. Got an idea for a list? Gimme a shout.

Incredible Member

I gave it a B. I have always been one of the people who strongly defends Dan Slott's work and time on Spider-Man. However, despite how much i defend him, i have let way too many opinions from the online community jade how i feel about books these days. What i mean is that i defended his work so much that i became exhausted listening to people nitpick the dumbest of things instead of letting the man tell his stories until the end. I became burnt out seeing the same complaints over and over. I became jaded as i watched so many people praise Bendis' Spider-Man work while crapping on Slott. Granted, the first 133 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man are definitely my favorite but even i admit some stories were just bad. I can admit Slott had some bumps here and there but i wont crap on his entire 10 year run just because he had Spider-Man plummet from space and survive the landing in just his costume.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Funny, I found his take on Ock to incredibly bad, especially in the voice.
    Honestly though, with the exception of Raimi's Spider-Man 2 film, his version of Ock lined up with nearly all other comic and media adaptions. To each his own though.

Fantastic Member

B.
    I came withe return of anti-venom story and spider isladn was right aroudn the corner which i loved, ends of the earth was very enjoyable too, superior pissed me off but looking back on it was was actually a decent spider-man run with a great ending with Goblin Nation. Amazing volume 4 was pretty boring except for Spider-Verse which again i greatly liked.
    Volume 5 was just really average. except clone conspiarcy, that was absolute garbage. go downs winging was awesome though. I think the biggest thing i hate about the run is what he turned Black Cat into during Volume 4.

there was more good than bad though so B sounds good
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

i came in when superior launched, so my dan slott run is far from complete. i dug superior and then enjoyed most of the following volume (which introduced silk and featured "spider-verse"). i just couldn't get into the relaunch that came after... the whole parker industries thing just didn't do it for me. i found the first year and a half very forgettable. i'm a 90s kid so i've always had a soft spot for the clone saga so i hated "clone conspiracy" with all the fanboy rage i could muster (by which i mean i voiced my displeasure with the story arc -- i'm not a weirdo who boycotts books or creators because i don't agree with their decision making about fictional characters). while i did enjoy "go down swinging", to be honest i found most of slott's final ASM volume to be subpar. pretty covers, though.

ASM is a book i wait on for those comixology .99 cent sales. i'm sure i'll pick up the early parts of his run over time.

Really enjoyed his run, though I didn’t really connect with the Parker Industries saga. Didn’t feel right