View Poll Results: Rate Dan Slott's ASM Run

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • A---One of the greatest runs ever!

24 30.00%
  • B---Very good; consistently entertaiing!

28 35.00%
  • C---Just ok; kind of pedestrian.

11 13.75%
  • D---Below Average; not very enjoyable.

9 11.25%
  • F---Poor; one of the worst runs ever on ASM.

5 6.25%
  • Incomplete---Did not read enough to grade.

3 3.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How Do You Rate Slott's ASM Run?

Well, a very long and eventful run on ASM is now officially over and it certainly is one that has made it's mark. So, now that all is said and done after about a decade and many many issues of ASM, the question must be asked: how do you rate Dan Slott's historic run on ASM? Pretty straightforward question; try to consider his entire body of work and try not to let your strong feelings (one way or another) about just one of his stories influence you----try to consider his entire body of work on ASM.

I'm gonna go with a solid "B"; Dan had a lot of highs and lows but the good certainly outweighed the bad for me and, during his first 5 years on ASM in particular, he really was churning out some pretty consistently great stuff. I found his second 5 years to be a lot more uneven but he certainly ended on a high note in 2018 with "Go Down Swinging".

B---Very good; consistently entertaiing!
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I went with a "B". For me, I love the run but I got a little burnt out towards the end. Some of the stories like "Big Time", "No One Dies", "Spider-Island" (one of my favorites), and "Go Down Swinging" are awesome and fun. But others felt a little less epic. I loved his creations like Silk, Phil Urich/Hobgoblin, Mister Negative, and the Horizon crew. And of course, how he developed the classics (seriously, the Sinister Six have never been done better in my opinion). Peter himself...was unique. I'm used to JMS' characterization, who struck me more as a grown man. But Slott's Peter read more as Spider-Man than Peter at times, if that makes sense.

A great run overall though! I commend Mr. Slott and his team, including one of my favorite Spider-Man artists Humberto Ramos!

It's at least one of the best Spider-Man runs ever (there is an argument that it might be more than one if you split it into various sections- The Big Time, Superior Spider-Man, Parker Industries, The last year.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Although the quality was noticeably lower over the last year of his run IMO, I'd say overall he definitely gets an A or A+.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

C minus, some interesting ideas, but overall his plots didn't stick the landing most of the time, his Peter is among my least favorite versions of the characther, but at the end of the day i don't really dislile it, just that it wasn't that good frankly.

Rick675

B good but not as good as I excepted, loved his BND issues and Looney tunes!!!

I wish slott played with the old school status quo rather then shaking it up into the Parker industries stuff, and cool status quos like mjs nightclub went nowhere
    rereading the run slott used Carlie alot better then I remembered too bad it didn't last. I wish he used flash more in his run I know he said it was okay but the end of go down swinging... I really like his one off issues like the Betty issue 665, spider island epilogue, the Norman issue, 801, I wish his run was more like those issues. Overall it was fun, but fizzled after superior for me that's when I stopped buying monthly. Also reading the run as an extension of BND, I wish this was a more street level book, which Spencer is promising. Overall fun book but people excepting something like his human torch mini will be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Rick675 View Post
    B good but not as good as I excepted, loved his BND issues and Looney tunes!!!

I wish slott played with the old school status quo rather then shaking it up into the Parker industries stuff, and cool status quos like mjs nightclub went nowhere
    rereading the run slott used Carlie alot better then I remembered too bad it didn't last. I wish he used flash more in his run I know he said it was okay but the end of go down swinging... I really like his one off issues like the Betty issue 665, spider island epilogue, the Norman issue, 801, I wish his run was more like those issues. Overall it was fun, but fizzled after superior for me that's when I stopped buying monthly. Also reading the run as an extension of BND, I wish this was a more street level book, which Spencer is promising. Overall fun book but people excepting something like his human torch mini will be disappointed

Great point about MJ's nightclub; it seemed like that was a sub-plot that would offer some interesting stories but not much ever developed. And, yes, Dan did use Carlie well; that character fizzled out partly because it was the first love interest after MJ and partly because each one of the rotating ASM writers portrayed her differently.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I voted "A." It's an incredible achievement and Slott's various phases encapsulate what's great about several different Spider-Man eras.

My personal favorite Slott phase is "Big Time" but the rest is really strong as well. That's just a tonal preference.

And this is just my own personal criteria, but I wouldn't lower the overall grade because of a few slower spots. We're talking about a run that went twice-monthly for nearly a decade! Every reader is bound to run into some stretches of story they didn't enjoy as much as the others. That's just the nature of the beast.
    Last edited by David Walton; 06-26-2018 at 05:57 AM.

BANNED

Α plus!
    A run that managed to put Spidey back on truck after a great mess.

BANNED

A - overall I thin Dan did an incredible job. I'll always believe it could have been even better if not for all the interference caused by all the major "events" Marvel had over the years. also believe his best work was under Wacker as editor.

B+. Will be remembered as a great but closer to end of that list. Had many highs and low, so overall somewhat inconsistent. That's why I gave a B+ instead of the A.

Astonishing Member

A.
    The writer of the longest run in Amazing Spider-Man have few Spider-Man stories that i consider substandard,thus my vote.

Master Hero Vladimir

C.
    Slott had a strong beginning, he revitalized old concepts and put Spider-Man in interesting situations (romance issues aside); but Superior Spider-Man is something I oppose on principle and Spider-Verse was so big and bloated I had trouble following it. After that, I stopped following Spider-Man titles on a regular basis and when I checked on the books, the writing was so focused on big action sequences and exposition and neglected subtlety and nuance. At least, Slott's final issue was a genuine love letter to Spider-Man. "Serviceable" is the strongest compliment I can think of for Slott's stories.