View Poll Results: Rate Dan Slott's ASM Run

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • A---One of the greatest runs ever!

24 30.00%
  • B---Very good; consistently entertaiing!

28 35.00%
  • C---Just ok; kind of pedestrian.

11 13.75%
  • D---Below Average; not very enjoyable.

9 11.25%
  • F---Poor; one of the worst runs ever on ASM.

5 6.25%
  • Incomplete---Did not read enough to grade.

3 3.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I give it a C because I personally feel that he stayed on the book too long and should've left sooner. Had he left sooner I'd have said B.

Solid A.

Would've gotten an A plus had there been more Anna Maria Marconi and Spider-Mobile!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Solid A.

Would've gotten an A plus had there been more Anna Maria Marconi and Spider-Mobile!
    I agree that Anna Maria was a good character, however I'll have to agree to disagree regarding the Spider-Mobile.

Fantastic Member

C+

I wouldn't say it was 'consistently entertaining' it was more 'generally entertaining'.

Too many of his storyline ended weak.

Everything after Superior seems like it was just on a holding pattern till he got to his big yearly crossover storyline.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I give it a C because I personally feel that he stayed on the book too long and should've left sooner. Had he left sooner I'd have said B.
    I was optimistic about Slott becoming writer for Spider-Man after his She-Hulk run. I thought that he would carry over some of the elements from She-Hulk unto Spider-Man by having Jennifer become part of his supporting cast. Instead, his reign as writer had made me avoid reading comics entirely. Especially ASM(2014) volume 3 that featured Silk instead of Spider-Woman(Jessica Drew) vs The Black Cat. The Superior Spider-Man and the Spiderverse made me realize that Slott likes to recycle the same old crap; over and over again. I am a casual reader who likes to read stories with characters from other titles become part of the ASM story arc, such as The Black Widow and Tigra. I just do not like how Marvel wants to segregate their characters to just their corner of their departments.

Slott represents the sort of writer that I hate because they refuse to think outside of the box to attract all audiences to their work. There was so much potential that he could have done with Spidey. But it was a turn off since Ends of the Earth storyline. I never bothered to read ASM volume 4 because I knew how that would turn out. A very good example was when he made Mockingbird Peter's love interest instead of developing their friendship first.

I believe that Slott signed up to write Spider-Man for the $$$$. But he didn't have the ability to develop stories that would increase his audience for Marvel as a whole. He had made Spider-Man into a character that I do not want to read anymore. He has killed my interest with comic books in general.

BANNED

One of the most mixed and trying eras I've ever had to endure as a fan for over 28+ years. Fortunately the newspaper strip gave me a refreshing alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by doomeye56 View Post
    C+

Too many of his storyline ended weak.

Everything after Superior seems like it was just on a holding pattern till he got to his big yearly crossover storyline.
    I definitely agree with that last point. I thought Slott's earliest stories on ASM were really strong, especially the opening "Big Time" arc. But, around "Ends of the Earth", things changed for me----that's when it seemed that the stories had big, noisy buildups with tons of guest start and world-changing consequences only to end with a thud. And, yes, I thought Superior was his last truly great story until his GDS finale. In between, most of the stories just read like a holding pattern as you said.

It's unfortunate but it is more evidence that is better to leave the party a few minutes early rather than late.

I took the "death" of Peter in Amazing 700 as an excuse to stop following newer comics so I'd have more time to read the issues I have repeatedly, and I've been fairly successful in doing that for the bigger part of the last 6 years.
    I'll need to read his work from start to end once more, but I will still skip what comes after Amazing Spider-Man 700, and will admit that my vote will be determined by that portion of his work.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Empty is thy hand!

A few posts have already summed up how I feel. Loved the first half, but starting with the wrap-up to Superior, the second half felt disposable. A/B for the first half, C+ as a whole.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

B. It was a great run, had many interesting ideas but some of his story arcs ended anti-climactic or not as good as they started.Still,it was him who put Otto back in the map after many years,although i hate that Marvel starts to overuse the Superior Spider-Man angle. I prefer Otto to continue as an Anti-Hero Doc Ock or as Superior Octopus.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

I would have voted B if it wasn"t for the whole boring return of Peter. Everything til the end of Superior was at least B, or even more sometimes. But as soon as Peter returned, it became boring. I liked his last issue though.

Even though I think Superior would have been a great ending point for him, it was an excellent run.

Slott took bold risks with Spidey that paid off well. I loved his take on Doctor Octopus. A lot his stories were enjoyable to read.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

So, I just recently started reading his run from "Brand New Day" and I think it is pretty amazing (pun intended).

Growing up Ultimate Spidey was (and still is) my version of Spidey & Co. Bendis' take was spectacular (pun intended) and to my fresh eyes made Peter and his family so engaging and relatable.

I cursorily popped into 616 Marvel especially for major events like "Civil War" and I kind of knew what was going on with Peter but it was uninteresting to me especially because I just couldn't keep up with the continuity and tie-in books, especially because I didn't really have access to wikis, guides or forums like I do now. So I stuck with the Ultimate series.

However, more and more I would hear through the grape vine about "Brand New Day" and it was so polarizing and I couldn't really make heads or tails of what to make of it because I didn't understand the big deal because I personally am not a bit continuity nut; I just care about good stories. So that made me stay away even more so, but then Superior Spider-Man hit.

And people were losing their gourd.

I know you remember on these boards how hyperbolic and insane it was to see Pete being replaced with Otto. So, I had to read it just on that fact alone and it was glorious.

Slott's take on Otto was so good and so original I couldn't believe it. I told myself that once his run ends I will read it from beginning to end.

With all of that said,

I am currently a little past the issue #600 and it is so good. I know Slott isn't the sole writer but he was part of the "Spidey Brain Trust," nevertheless, it is the foundation to Slott's solo run.

But the take on Pete by making him what I would imagine a grown Ultimate Peter to be was pretty great, he's an ultimate dork with so many personal issues but he still makes it through all of it with a smile. The reintroduction of MJ and Black Cat made the tension palpable. Making Harry a likable albeit a angsty best friend was great and the fact that the book itself tells a larger narrative was amazing.

I know the similarities with the Ultimate Pete is was turned a lot of people off, but I think simplifying his life really did free up so much potential storylines for the modern audience.

I think it is quite a achievement to keep a single vision on a major IP for a major publisher for more than 200 issues and kudos to all involved.

We might not see anything like for a long time.

It's a 'C'

what actually stuck around?
    Mister Negative - genuinely new
    Flash/Venom - revamp
    Healed Kaine - revamp
    Bad Guy Reilly - normal comic resurrection
    Superior Otto - full upgrade

Of those 5, only 2 are active.
    Flash isn't Venom, Kaine is messed up again, and Reilly is good again.

EDIT: Slott couldn't get Pete's voice just right either, but somehow he nailed Otto. Which says something about a man who writes better for an isolated and extreme narcissist than an 'everyman'.
    Last edited by darthblinx; 09-28-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darthblinx View Post
    Slott couldn't get Pete's voice just right either, but somehow he nailed Otto. Which says something about a man who writes better for an isolated and extreme narcissist than an 'everyman'.
    Funny, I found his take on Ock to incredibly bad, especially in the voice.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)