88 44.22%
  • I Hate Her!

85 42.71%
  • Who?

26 13.07%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I honestly think she makes for a good foil for Laura.
    This. I usually have a problem with clones, Maddy, Old man logan, etc. Hated that the cuckoos are clones.

But I think this one works, seems to be what x23 needed. Brings out interesting things in her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post
    This. I usually have a problem with clones, Maddy, Old man logan, etc. Hated that the cuckoos are clones.

But I think this one works, seems to be what x23 needed. Brings out interesting things in her.
    Old Man Logan isn't a clone.
    Last edited by Shreene; 06-03-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Wish you had better options on your poll. I know who she is, dont love or hate her. Maybe if she got some distinction without X23...

Amazing Member

Anything she "brings out" of Laura I think was done better and with more consistent Laura characterization by other characters in previous arcs. See, Jubilee, any of the NXM, the kids in AA. Gabby seems to exists to be a precocious hostage.

BANNED

I'm not into cutesy characters so no. I don't like her. She can go hang out with Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl and the X-Babies or something.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    I've only read her in Red. I don't find her "cute", I don't find her "funny". I find to be an annoying, immature brat. She reminds me of one of those '80's TV kids like Arnold from Diff'rnt Strokes or Webster...
    QFT!!! 100% agreed. Really hate this character

She makes me feel like a fuddy-duddy

A young child hackin' and a slashin', fo'shame Marvel, what if Mumsnet finds out, they'd riot with pitchforks and they'd have a point.

Any of the other X-Mens powersets would be more preferable than Wolverines for a kid to wield.

X-23 was aged up quickly (in tone) I think too counter that concern.

But having said that, she does have a very sad back story that makes her more compelling than the average cutesy character.
    Last edited by Ultimate Rogue; 06-03-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I honestly don't hate her, but I also don't like the concept. One thing that bugs me the most is Marvel's emphasis on Schism, yet they create Gabby. I would like some form of consistency.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by bishopcruz View Post
    Necro but eh, whatever. I was looking to see if anyone agreed with me on the Gabby thing (I finally got around to reading Tamaki's run.) and at least I see I am not alone. The reason I quoted this post is because it really ecapsulates how I feel. It seems that ever since Marjorie Liu's run ended Marvel hasn't ever really understood Laura. Taylor did an ok job at best wit her outside of one or two arcs... and while I didn't mind Gabby when she had at least a little bite, she soon became a pet character who hung around Laura and tried to lighten the tone in an artificial way. People have called Laura a lazy character, something I disagree with, but what role does gabby fill? A younger clone, with the same basic powers, same basic backstory, and a lighter tone.

Look back at the X-23 runs... look back at New X-Men, look at how interesting Laura can be when she is interacting with people her own age, Surge, Hellion, Mercury, and others just brought out the best with her character. Look at Liu's run as Mia stated above, the time with Jubilee was freaking great, both characters bringing out the best in each other, the friendship I never even knew I wanted. Gabby in comparison is just Dawn from Buffy the Vampire slayer but without the character depth.
    Amen to that! I don't hate Gabby, not yet I think. But I kind of had enough what was done to Laura because of her. In 2010 run the sidekick characters were sidekicks, with good dynamics. In X-23 I feel like the book was too focused on Gabby and their relationship. And Laura is much more than that! I hate the fact, that she was age up so quickly, when other New X-Men remaind young. I hate that now, wherever Laura is Gabby follows. That now it's not Laura, X-23, New Wolverine or Talon (so much wish that name would be hers finally), but it's they, Sisters. Tom Taylor was better with keeping Gabby amount on decent level then MT is. When I read X-23 I expect Laura and maybe some other characters. Definitely not Gabby and Laura, with mostly the first one.
    Gabby would be great...but somewhere else. Give her into team of heroes round her age. Let her learn and have her own adventures.

Amazing Member

Isn't Laura the same age as the ALNM kids? Or did they age her up again? The thing is Gabby just makes Laura seem older, becasue if Gabby ages, Laura has to.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bishopcruz View Post
    Isn't Laura the same age as the ALNM kids? Or did they age her up again? The thing is Gabby just makes Laura seem older, becasue if Gabby ages, Laura has to.
    All the Kyle Yost New xmen kids should be in there 20s. Laurs was 20 when orphans of x happend and had her birthday so shes 21. Gabby's is 11. All of them should be in college but are either de aged via drugs and hypnosis to inflate enrollment or the school closed so many times they dont have enough credits to graduate high school.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Just now saw this thread, but it seems the clear takeaway is: "Gabby" is not a very liked character.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Just now saw this thread, but it seems the clear takeaway is: "Gabby" is not a very liked character.
    Divisive would be more accurate. Note, love still beats the hate on the poll.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Divisive would be more accurate. Note, love still beats the hate on the poll.
    Some say indifference is worse than hate.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I wish there was a "she is cool" or "I like her option." none of the ones listed really capture my opinion of the character. oh well.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!