• I Love Her!

88 44.22%
  • I Hate Her!

85 42.71%
  • Who?

26 13.07%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Y'know, this thread just made me think of the irony that even Wolverine himself was a divisive character when he first appeared, with a lot of people wanting Marvel to kill him off. It wasn't until Claremont/Lee got hold of him that his popularity began to skyrocket.
    Nah, Wolverine was already popular long before the Claremont/Lee run. Logan became popular thanks to John Byrne at first who as a Canadian wanted to do more with the character while Claremont wanted to drop him off after Cockrum's departure because he didn't know what to do with him.

source : https://issuu.com/twomorrows/docs/back_issue__4 (page 4)

You can clearly see the difference in Logan's characterization before and after John Byrne, it's like night and day. Then Claremont and Miller managed to write one the best story for Logan with his first mini in 1982 that made him even more popular.

When Jim Lee arrived on the X-Books in 1989, Logan already had two successful mini, his own ongoing serie and he also had several cameo in other Marvel titles so yeah he was already very popular.

And I'm not sure you can say he was a divise character among readers at the time. For sure he was a violent anti hero who didn't mind killing in a team of heroes which at the time was someting unusual.
    Some people liked him, some didn't but there is no way to know the ratio and judging by the letters page, some of the X-Men fans at the time didn't like the new team or even the Dark Phoenix saga yet the sales were getting better and better as time goes on.

Vocal minority always make more noise than the silent majority wether it's comics, movies or video games, something that doesn't seem to change nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    i liked her fine in the first six issues but then i wasnt a fan of her or Jonathan as the book went on
    That's my opinion as well, I like her at first, her dynamic with Laura was interesting. But as time goes on, she became more and more annoying but who knows maybe Tamaki might do something interesting with her.
    Last edited by Hush; 06-26-2018 at 03:48 AM.

Ultimate Member

There are characters I can't stand, like Quentin Quire, and characters I don't like, like Squirrel Girl or Gwenpool, and some I just don't 'get', like Glob Herman or Doop, but Gabby is none of those. She's fun, and kind of a breath of fresh air, in a corner of the X-universe that is typically pretty grim and un-fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    There are characters I can't stand, like Quentin Quire, and characters I don't like, like Squirrel Girl or Gwenpool, and some I just don't 'get', like Glob Herman or Doop, but Gabby is none of those. She's fun, and kind of a breath of fresh air, in a corner of the X-universe that is typically pretty grim and un-fun.
    I enjoy the variance in your reply.

In the past, 5 or so years, I've determined that there aren't ANY characters that I can't tolerate. Even those who are expressly written TO annoy, I find enjoyable AS foils, or some writer comes along and gives them a good buffing and shows me a new angle and I appreciate them on a different new level.
    I once loathed Squirrel Girl. I found her fame and focus insufferable and perplexing. I've since had my perspective adjusted, largely thanks to Al Ewing.

I feel that "chipper" characters who speedily ascend in our beloved narratives -- particularly young girls-- are polarizing for the readership.
    Molly Hayes.
    Ms. Marvel.
    Pixie.
    Gabby.
    That being said I've very much enjoyed wee Gabbers since her introduction.y

BANNED

I liked her (and all the sisters tbh) initially but she’s pretty quickly become a punchline. Still somehow more endearing and easier to root for than Laura herself though.

I don't hate her.

But she isn't a character. She hasn't been a character since the start of All New Wolverine. She's become a functional tool, a way for Taylor to get away with bad jokes and comic relief without breaking immersion. She also takes away a lot from Laura, even though she doesn't have to. Those early ANW issues showed us what a relationship between the two could look like- one that was meaningful for both characters involved. That's not what we see in Red. I couldn't even tell you Laura's purpose in Red, aside from as a vehicle for Gabby's inclusion.

So I certainly don't love her. I think the franchise and Laura, under Taylor, would be better without her. I also don't think anyone else will be able to pull Gabby off (we'll have to wait and see on that one), so is she necessary? In my view, if something becomes unnecessary the good writer will jettison it. Even if you like a character (or setting or plot point) once it loses meaning then you're just holding onto the past. Gabby either needs to be reinvented (perhaps follow up on the CW2 story?) or gotten rid of.

Of course, me holding such an opinion just means that they'll keep Gabby around, as she is, for twenty years. Such is my luck.

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    I don't hate her.

But she isn't a character. She hasn't been a character since the start of All New Wolverine. She's become a functional tool, a way for Taylor to get away with bad jokes and comic relief without breaking immersion. She also takes away a lot from Laura, even though she doesn't have to. Those early ANW issues showed us what a relationship between the two could look like- one that was meaningful for both characters involved. That's not what we see in Red. I couldn't even tell you Laura's purpose in Red, aside from as a vehicle for Gabby's inclusion.

So I certainly don't love her. I think the franchise and Laura, under Taylor, would be better without her. I also don't think anyone else will be able to pull Gabby off (we'll have to wait and see on that one), so is she necessary? In my view, if something becomes unnecessary the good writer will jettison it. Even if you like a character (or setting or plot point) once it loses meaning then you're just holding onto the past. Gabby either needs to be reinvented (perhaps follow up on the CW2 story?) or gotten rid of.

Of course, me holding such an opinion just means that they'll keep Gabby around, as she is, for twenty years. Such is my luck.
    omg.
    The way you've framed your reply, and the observations you've made about Gabby's evolution from the Sisters arc to her inclusion in Red???

I'm legit shook. Laura being a vehicle for Gabby's inclusion? I see what you mean.

Aww Crap.

I think I started to dislike Gabby at some point after the Squirrel Girl issue. At first I really liked her. But honestly the character she is now seems quite different to me than the character we saw in the first arc.

In the first arc (and some issues after) Gabby seemed genuinely innocent and naive, and she had a sense of vulnerability that made her rely on others and look to Laura for support. It created a relationship that was touching (and that’s why I really liked the Squirrel Girl issue). But as the series went on, Gabby became less of a character and more of a collection of tropes personified, a voice for Taylor to make jokes and quips. Her presence became especially grating whenever an emotional scene for Laura was cut short in favor of one of Gabby’s jokes. For example we hardly got any time for Laura and the Sarah Kinney clone to interact. Instead the focus shifted to Gabby’s “comical” reaction.

My other issue with how the character has evolved to this point: she was raised in a lab and trained to be an assassin, yet she’s extremely pop culture savvy for someone who spent most of her life in a controlled environment. It’s difficult for me to suspend my disbelief for that.

Molly Hayes has a similar template but I never felt like Molly didn’t act like a an actual child. Gabby not so much.

I wouldn’t say I hate her, but I -am- tired of her and how Taylor has been using her for a while now.

I like her although prefer her interactions with Laura in New Wolverine than in X-men Red.

Moreover why people always need to go from one extreme to the other about everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    I like her although prefer her interactions with Laura in New Wolverine than in X-men Red.

Moreover why people always need to go from one extreme to the other about everything?
    What do you mean?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    What do you mean?
    I think he means the poll only has options for "Love" and "Hate," nothing in between.

I think he means the poll only has options for "Love" and "Hate," nothing in between.
    Good point. I’d feel more comfortable with some middle tier options, which is why I didn’t vote.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    No. Honey Garbage is annoying and her awkward adorkable shtick is trash.
    Oucheth, but yea

Exactly it's not just that topic the same happens in others but not everything comes down to hate or love.

Hating is a very strong word.

I like Gabby, but I am concern that she's sorta becoming one note. Her whole deal can become tiresome quite fast. Given that she'll be written by a different writer soon I have hopes she can get a few more layers

stormshade.jpg

Nope. Hard pass on her.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!