199. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Love Her!

88 44.22%
  • I Hate Her!

85 42.71%
  • Who?

26 13.07%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

I started kinda even with her...but now I really dislike her.

What is with this trend at Marvel that 10-14 year old kids who have barley lived but they some how know everything and tell the adults what to do lately? It just comes off as annoying.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    What is with this trend at Marvel that 10-14 year old kids who have barley lived but they some how know everything and tell the adults what to do lately? It just comes off as annoying.
    Do you really think this is just a Marvel thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    No, but Marvel didn't really have a lot of that going on until recently. Now there are quiet a few characters with similar annoying personalities telling seasoned Heroes what to do and how to live their life. It's getting a little weird.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I enjoy Gabby. I think she's been a big help in the last few years for Laura, at least in providing levity to her stories, and giving someone for her to care for. I love X-23, but I'm glad someone has found a way to lighten her up a bit, the edgy stoicism was getting old. Gabby makes Laura feel less like a sad robot.

Granted while some feel that her tenure on ANXM was largely out of character, I felt that from a narrative perspective it made sense for her to be less stoic as time went on. I feel like they were the first team she was on that didn't spend a lot of time on judging her on her past.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-16-2018 at 07:10 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    gabby started as en exploration of laura innocence and laura trying to preserve gabby innocence but she quickly turned into a comic relief that doesn't do anything substantial except overshadow laura with /quirkiness/
    This 100%. In ANW she seemed to be used as a crutch for the writer who (clearly) hasn't a clue how to write an introvert.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I enjoy Gabby. I think she's been a big help in the last few years for Laura, at least in providing levity to her stories, and giving someone for her to care for. I love X-23, but I'm glad someone has found a way to lighten her up a bit, the edgy stoicism was getting old. Gabby makes Laura feel less like a sad robot.
    Jubilee in Liu's X-23 gave the book a light tone and came across as more organic because being around the same age as Laura, their relationship came across as a believable friendship. Also Jubilee's lightness came across in her personality and temperament. Not through making silly jokes or making snarky remarks every time she opened her mouth. Gabby's humour is forced, and I don't find forced humour funny at all. Also her age and personality just take away from having stories that play to Laura's strengths and background. And just reduce her to playing 'teen mom' to a Disney channel kid.

I think that (when written in character) Laura would be better off having stories with a friend her age (like her cousine, Jubilee) who is a bit more sanguine (not comic relief). So we can see her social interactions. But as it is the babysitting gig to Gabby just takes away from the character. That being said, it's going to really be up to direction that Marvel wants to take X-23. They are going to have to decide if they are going to follow the template laid out by her creators. Or turn her into Wolverine with boobs which seemed to be the case in the Uncanny relaunch.
    Last edited by Mia; 11-16-2018 at 07:27 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

There's no option in the poll for me. I don't love her. She swings way too "cutesy" for me, and I don't like sidekicks. But I don't hate her.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I started kinda even with her...but now I really dislike her.

who else would you say in Marvel applies to this?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    who else would you say in Marvel applies to this?
    What'sherface with the Dinosaur.

Either of the Richards kids.

Ms. Marvel.

The O5 looked very young...especially Jean after they cut her hair.

Gabby is ok to me in small doses, and luckily I don't read too much with her in it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    What'sherface with the Dinosaur.

Either of the Richards kids.

Ms. Marvel.

The O5 looked very young...especially Jean after they cut her hair.

Gabby is ok to me in small doses, and luckily I don't read too much with her in it.
    The Richards kids have been in limbo for years and only just returned and so far that hasnt applied. Besides they have plenty of life experience despite their young ages

The O5 arent in that age range, neither is Ms. Marvel

Moon Girl is the only one that fits but I dont know enough about her to say that she is the annoying type that gets in adults' faces and tells them what to do

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Moon Girl is the only one that fits but I dont know enough about her to say that she is the annoying type that gets in adults' faces and tells them what to do
    That's pretty much her in a nutshell. The other's might not fit exactly into that age range, but definitely fit into the "younger character that has lived 1,000 lives"

Astonishing Member

The X-Universe tends to take itself far too seriously, so yeah, I'm enjoying the heck out of the character.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    This 100%. In ANW she seemed to be used as a crutch for the writer who (clearly) hasn't a clue how to write an introvert.

Jubilee in Liu's X-23 gave the book a light tone and came across as more organic because being around the same age as Laura, their relationship came across as a believable friendship. Also Jubilee's lightness came across in her personality and temperament. Not through making silly jokes or making snarky remarks every time she opened her mouth. Gabby's humour is forced, and I don't find forced humour funny at all. Also her age and personality just take away from having stories that play to Laura's strengths and background. And just reduce her to playing 'teen mom' to a Disney channel kid.

I think that (when written in character) Laura would be better off having stories with a friend her age (like her cousine, Jubilee) who is a bit more sanguine (not comic relief). So we can see her social interactions. But as it is the babysitting gig to Gabby just takes away from the character. That being said, it's going to really be up to direction that Marvel wants to take X-23. They are going to have to decide if they are going to follow the template laid out by her creators. Or turn her into Wolverine with boobs which seemed to be the case in the Uncanny relaunch.
    Necro but eh, whatever. I was looking to see if anyone agreed with me on the Gabby thing (I finally got around to reading Tamaki's run.) and at least I see I am not alone. The reason I quoted this post is because it really ecapsulates how I feel. It seems that ever since Marjorie Liu's run ended Marvel hasn't ever really understood Laura. Taylor did an ok job at best wit her outside of one or two arcs... and while I didn't mind Gabby when she had at least a little bite, she soon became a pet character who hung around Laura and tried to lighten the tone in an artificial way. People have called Laura a lazy character, something I disagree with, but what role does gabby fill? A younger clone, with the same basic powers, same basic backstory, and a lighter tone.

Look back at the X-23 runs... look back at New X-Men, look at how interesting Laura can be when she is interacting with people her own age, Surge, Hellion, Mercury, and others just brought out the best with her character. Look at Liu's run as Mia stated above, the time with Jubilee was freaking great, both characters bringing out the best in each other, the friendship I never even knew I wanted. Gabby in comparison is just Dawn from Buffy the Vampire slayer but without the character depth.

I like Gabby and I think she enhances Laura's story, but I also get burned out on her quickly. I think its ironic to dismiss her for being a clone and praise the clone she's cloned from (yikes!) in the same breath. She is Laura's brighter alternate future and seeing Laura try to protect her "little sister" when she represents her own lost innocence is a great dynamic.

Phoning it in for any other character is just 'meh', but I think you do really have to hit a home run with Gabby's jokes and tender moments every time or she's unbearable.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I like Gabby and I think she enhances Laura's story, but I also get burned out on her quickly. I think its ironic to dismiss her for being a clone and praise the clone she's cloned from (yikes!) in the same breath. She is Laura's brighter alternate future and seeing Laura try to protect her "little sister" when she represents her own lost innocence is a great dynamic.

Phoning it in for any other character is just 'meh', but I think you do really have to hit a home run with Gabby's jokes and tender moments every time or she's unbearable.
    Yeah, I suppose complaining about a clone when Laura is a clone might come off as a bit odd, but Laura had an arc, and while it wasn't exactly original (person created to be a weapon tries to find herself now that they are free), Kyle and Yost, and later Marjorie Liu handled it very well. The fect that they went out of their way to not make Wolverine her mentor, as well as how she deals with Trauma and how she sees herself in the world were pretty damn great. Laura was all about execution, and that is something I don't think anyone outside of those runs has understood. Taylor, to be fair has gotten close at times, but even his arcs that touched on her backstory were paint by numbers.

The thing is, Gabby is just a happy go lucky Laura. Maybe if we had more hints of a darkness underneath (something touched upon early on) with the smiles being artificial or something then she could work, I don't know. But as it stands she has a similar backstory to Laura, similar powers to Laura, and exists solely to be a damsel in distress when she isn't being precocious. And precocious kid characters almost universally suck. And whatever she adds to Laura was done better, earlier with characters who were their own character, and didn't exist solely to be a foil to Laura. Gabby is forced cute, and while it works for some, clearly, it sure as hell does not for me.

Wow! Very divisive results!