Default Wolverine by Larry Hama

Finally read his whole run that goes from Wolverine 31 until 119 (there is a two issue story arc written by a guest writter but i don't give it much importance), this run was recomended to me by many posters here and i can say that it was mostly enjoyable, 31 to 100 is probably the best part of the run, wich little by little pulls Logan away from the Madripoor, is also a clear inspiration from some of the Wolverine centric episodes of the animated series (48 to 50 in particular), combined with some really weird stuff like the Mojo storyline, Alber the Android and Elsie Dee (i personally find the first one annoying and the other 2 characthers a weird acquired tastw for how weird they are).

On the most negative side we also had some really clumsy stuff like the Silver Fox retcon and i personally can't stand Cyber most of the time (thougth his death made feel a bit sad for him) and some issues of the Bone Claws era are weird.

But overall i think that it does more good than bad from most of that period, among my favorite issues are "The Hunter in Darkness", "Babes at Sea", "State of Grace", "The Dying Game" and "Ommia Muntaur" (that issue when hi rescue his foster daughter Amiko), just to name a few. Kuudos also to the portrayal of his relationships with the X-Women, Jean, Storm and Jubilee in particular (his stuff with Heather Hudson and her husband was also nice).

After issue 100 in when i think that Hama stayed way too long, the whole "Feral Wolverine" wasn't particurlary compelling and was resolved way too quickly for me to actually care, Hama also started to focus less on Logan and more on the guest apperances, wich weren't bad just a tad dissapointing, it doesn't help that the run pretty much ends with a croosover with the rest of the X-Titles (OTZ), well not completly, you have a thebfirst issue of the next arc written by him... and then rest written by Ellis, the transition isn't jarring of anything and the arc in particular (Not Dead Yet) is pretty good, but is dissapointed that the whole ends so casually.

Anyway, those are my thougths about, so what do you think about this run in general?

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Finally read his whole run that goes from Wolverine 31 until 119 (there is a two issue story arc written by a guest writter but i don't give it much importance), this run was recomended to me by many posters here and i can say that it was mostly enjoyable, 31 to 100 is probably the best part of the run, wich little by little pulls Logan away from the Madripoor, is also a clear inspiration from some of the Wolverine centric episodes of the animated series (48 to 50 in particular), combined with some really weird stuff like the Mojo storyline, Alber the Android and Elsie Dee (i personally find the first one annoying and the other 2 characthers a weird acquired tastw for how weird they are).

On the most negative side we also had some really clumsy stuff like the Silver Fox retcon and i personally can't stand Cyber most of the time (thougth his death made feel a bit sad for him) and some issues of the Bone Claws era are weird.

But overall i think that it does more good than bad from most of that period, among my favorite issues are "The Hunter in Darkness", "Babes at Sea", "State of Grace", "The Dying Game" and "Ommia Muntaur" (that issue when hi rescue his foster daughter Amiko), just to name a few. Kuudos also to the portrayal of his relationships with the X-Women, Jean, Storm and Jubilee in particular (his stuff with Heather Hudson and her husband was also nice).

After issue 100 in when i think that Hama stayed way too long, the whole "Feral Wolverine" wasn't particurlary compelling and was resolved way too quickly for me to actually care, Hama also started to focus less on Logan and more on the guest apperances, wich weren't bad just a tad dissapointing, it doesn't help that the run pretty much ends with a croosover with the rest of the X-Titles (OTZ), well not completly, you have a thebfirst issue of the next arc written by him... and then rest written by Ellis, the transition isn't jarring of anything and the arc in particular (Not Dead Yet) is pretty good, but is dissapointed that the whole ends so casually.

Anyway, those are my thougths about, so what do you think about this run in general?
    119 actually isnt by Hama. his name was printed on cover by accident. Warren Ellis does 119-122 fully.

i liked the majority of Hamas run. Retcons in general suck lol. i agree that Silverfox works better only in that intital story by Claremont and not be part of the whole Team X/Weapon X drama. i also like that aside from 5 issues hama's run wasnt interruppted. and even then you can ignore those 5 when reading. Cyber was written good during Hamas run ill say. and i loved how he wrote people like Sabretooth and Deathstrike. Logan and Jubilees partnership was the highlight for me.

one note @TheCape Babes at sea was actually Peter Davids Story. during 31-118 the only issues not Larrys were:

44-Peter David
    54-Fabian Niecieza
    58-59 Dan Chichester
    110 Tom Defalco
    X-Men Forever

Besides Chris Claremont nobody has had a better understanding of Wolverine than Larry Hama.

He also wrote Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike, Cyber, Puck, The hudsons and Jubille very well.

It's a great run especially when you think about how much editorial interference there was at the time. Hama had to deal with many crossovers and the editors's decisions to remove Logan's adamantium, to give him bone claws and to turn him into a noseless beast.

I think issues 31-57, 75-90, the Weapon X mini and the -1 issue (I love this one) were the best parts of his run. Not a fan of the Silver Fox retcon and of most of what happened after issue #90 (especially what happened to the people of the Princess bar) and it was a shame that Hama couldn't end his run properly.

As berserkerclaw said the relationship between Jubilee and Logan was one of the highlight of his run and the characterization of most of Logan's rogue gallery was great. By the way if you like this run don't forget to read the Maverick one shot, it's basically an epilogue to the whole "fake memories" plot.

Hama also wrote the Sabretooth mini (which is set directly after issue #64), the Before the Fantastic Four: Ben Grimm and Logan mini (there is a continuity's problem between this mini and the -1 issue but it's still a great mini set during the Cold War) and the Wild Thing mini with Logan and Elektra daughter Rina Logan (not the best thing ever but it's fun especially if you like Spider-Girl by Defalco).
    Last edited by Hush; 06-26-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    119 actually isnt by Hama. his name was printed on cover by accident. Warren Ellis does 119-122 fully.

i liked the majority of Hamas run. Retcons in general suck lol. i agree that Silverfox works better only in that intital story by Claremont and not be part of the whole Team X/Weapon X drama. i also like that aside from 5 issues hama's run wasnt interruppted. and even then you can ignore those 5 when reading. Cyber was written good during Hamas run ill say. and i loved how he wrote people like Sabretooth and Deathstrike. Logan and Jubilees partnership was the highlight for me.

one note @TheCape Babes at sea was actually Peter Davids Story. during 31-118 the only issues not Larrys were:

44-Peter David
    54-Fabian Niecieza
    58-59 Dan Chichester
    110 Tom Defalco
    Thanks i forgot some of that, althougth i think that Babes at Sea, was a colaboration beetween Hama and PAD, the latter wrotte the plot, but Larry did the dialogues if my memory doesn't fail. Thanks for the correction on Not Dead Yet.

I don't think that retcons generally suck, most of Logan's characther is a retcon to be honest (the Adamantium, his samurai code, etc), but yeah this one in particular was pretty bad.

Most of the villains were well charactherized for sure, Creed and Logan figth in issue 90 is among my favorites ans Lady Deathstrikenhas some good focus. Cyber make me laugth some time, but i thougth that he got old quick.
    Last edited by TheCape; 06-26-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Logan View Post
    Besides Chris Claremont nobody has had a better understanding of Wolverine than Larry Hama.

He also wrote Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike, Cyber, Puck, The hudsons and Jubille very well.
    Frank Tieri understood him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    It's a great run especially when you think about how much editorial interference there was at the time. Hama had to deal with many crossovers and the editors's decisions to remove Logan's adamantium, to give him bone claws and to turn him into a noseless beast.

I think issues 31-57, 75-90, the Weapon X mini and the -1 issue (I love this one) were the best parts of his run. Not a fan of the Silver Fox retcon and of most of what happened after issue #90 (especially what happened to the people of the Princess bar) and it was a shame that Hama couldn't end his run properly.

As berserkerclaw said the relationship between Jubilee and Logan was one of the highlight of his run and the characterization of most of Logan's rogue gallery was great. By the way if you like this run don't forget to read the Maverick one shot, it's basically an epilogue to the whole "fake memories" plot.

Hama also wrote the Sabretooth mini (which is set directly after issue #64), the Before the Fantastic Four: Ben Grimm and Logan mini (there is a continuity's problem between this mini and the -1 issue but it's still a great mini set during the Cold War) and the Wild Thing mini with Logan and Elektra daughter Rina Logan (not the best thing ever but it's fun especially if you like Spider-Girl by Defalco).
    I had to agreed, he did the best that he could with all the editorial control that he was put under and i agreed that there is a dip of quality after the #90, like you wasn't a fan of what happened to most of his Madripoor cast (at least Tyger Tyger was fine, if she still around?) and if lead to that weird storyline when Logan has to marry Viper lol.

That being said i did enjoy the trip with Caliban, Sam and Ororo to the mountains (the bear stole the scene) and the Juggernaut issue. 98 to 100 was kind of dissapointing to be honest.

Thanks for the recomentations

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Frank Tieri understood him.
    The Logan Files is in my top 5.