Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default star wars: Original trilogy vs Prequel trilogy vs Sequel trilogy

I have recently watched them all and I keep hearing some ppl saying that the original was the best of all the trilogies. I couldn't disagree more because for me the prequel trilogy was the best without much competition where as the sequel was the worst and seemed forced. The prequel has a very rich story-line.

Let me know your opinion?

Originals>Prequels>power gap>post-2015 sequels and anthologies
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Originals. It's not even a contest for me. I think the prequels have some good ideas but had a sub-par execution of those ideas. The sequel trilogy is a little unfair to judge so soon before completion but I honestly don't see any way it can tie into the story very well. The Last Jedi IMO really made a mess of things.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJoe View Post
    I have recently watched them all and I keep hearing some ppl saying that the original was the best of all the trilogies. I couldn't disagree more because for me the prequel trilogy was the best without much competition where as the sequel was the worst and seemed forced. The prequel has a very rich story-line.

Rogue One, Original Trilogy (Return included), don't care about the rest

I think the Original Trilogy is... not overrated, but I think most people just regurgitate the common opinions on them without really considering if that's how they really feel about them.

BANNED

It's a bit all over the place for me, but with the Prequels firmly at the bottom.
    Although I would place The Clone Wars (entire series, not the random three episodes they called a movie) in my top 3.

The Prequel era is a great setting, but Lucas didn't use it very well.

The Empire Strikes Back
    Rogue One
    A New Hope
    Solo
    The Last Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    Return Of the Jedi
    Attack Of The Clones
    Revenge Of The Sith
    The Phantom Menace

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I like the original trilogy better, but it's the one I grew up with. I still really enjoy the prequels, though. There's a lot to love. The fight choreography is amazing. Ewan McGregor is perfectly cast as the young Obi-Wan. I can see why some people prefer them over the OT.

I'm of the opinion that there really isn't a bad Star Wars film.

Can't really rank the sequel trilogy since it's not complete yet, but it could (conceivably) turn out even better than the OT and the PT in my opinion. It's got the charisma of the OT, the visual spectacle of the PT, and modern storytelling sensibilities.
    Last edited by David Walton; 06-26-2018 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post

I'm of the opinion that there really isn't a bad Star Wars film.
    I totally agree. Some are stronger than others, but I'd gladly sit through any of them at any time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I totally agree. Some are stronger than others, but I'd gladly sit through any of them at any time.
    Also agree. While I complaints about all of them, even Empire, I would gladly watch any of the numbered films, Rogue 1, or Clone Wars. Haven't seen Solo, so can't say if it holds true for that.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Also agree. While I complaints about all of them, even Empire, I would gladly watch any of the numbered films, Rogue 1, or Clone Wars. Haven't seen Solo, so can't say if it holds true for that.
    Yeah, if there's a Star Wars film on tv, I'll get sucked into even when I have every intention not to!

And SOLO is great!!! Of all the films, it's probably the most fun from start to finish. (I'm not saying it's the best of them all, but certainly the most light-hearted.)

Growing up with Anakin was grand.

I love Luke's journey.

And... as for the sequel trilogy... eh. I'm only sticking around for FN2187//Finn as I find him similar to Luke.
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJoe View Post

A lot of this is probably a generational thing. You simply like what you grow up with. That being said, yes, the Prequals are some of my favourite films period. I've only watched the OT twice, maybe, I've watched the Prequals much more.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

It might be a generational gap. I grew up with the Special editions so maybe because that was the Star Wars I saw I have a higher attachment to them. After some reflecting I think my final list might have the sequel trilogy at the bottom. Then again that could just be my cynicism that the sequel trilogy can't tie all three trilogies together in a satisfying way. I thought the Spin offs have actually been pretty solid though. I liked Solo a lot more than TLJ.
    Last edited by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE; 01-04-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    A lot of this is probably a generational thing. You simply like what you grow up with. That being said, yes, the Prequals are some of my favourite films period. I've only watched the OT twice, maybe, I've watched the Prequals much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    It might be a generational gap. I grew up with the Special editions so maybe because that was the Star Wars I saw I have a higher attachment to them. After some reflecting I think my final list might have the sequel trilogy at the bottom. Then again that could just be my cynicism that the trilogy can be tie all three trilogies together in a satisfying way. I thought the Spin offs have actually been pretty solid though. I liked Solo a lot more than TLJ.
    I think there's also just different tastes in filmmaking styles across generations as well. I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to simply not like 1980s filmmaking, and therefore just prefer the newer movies as a general matter.

Originals

Prequels

Sequels
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Well I prefer the OT for all aspects - casting, dialogue, story.

The Prequels had bad casting for a couple of the main characters (Padme and Anakin) and some truly horrific dialogue (from them in particular), but did have a pretty good plot overall.

The Sequels trilogy is good so far - about on par with the Prequels, but slightly less thrilling because of TLJ.

Solo and Rogue One are both worthy entries, both on par with the OT in my book.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.