Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

The OT. It was an original idea. The rest (even RTJ) was an IP pump, although I will say Rogue One was extremely good (OT worthy).

Extraordinary Member

The original shouldn't even be looked at as a trilogy. ANH is it's own film and Empire/Jedi was essentially taking that same premise and fleshing it out in a giant two parter with more character development and a greater arc between Luke and Vader.

Actually i would say that my favorite piece of Star Wars is that glorious duology : Rogue One & A New Hope.

Episode 5, very good, episode 6 decent. The prequels are average, the sequels are weak. (imo of course, don't get your cute pink panties in a knot over that)
    Last edited by Starter Set; 07-01-2018 at 07:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

OT and PT blow the ST out of the water.

The ST's biggest problem is it has no identity. It's basically co-oped the OT's aesthetic and story points and rehashed them.

Coupled with a cast you can't really get excited for. Rey, Kylo, BB-8 are the best new things the ST have to offer.

But Finn, Poe, Poe's entourage of anonymous red shirts, Rose, Holdo, Maz Kanata (a story for another time), Hux, Phasma, Snoke, Knights of Who (Ren?) are all opaque. There's nothing to them. Despite the emphasis the people behind the cameras and the movies would have us believe.

The anthology films are really meh. RO has a cast of characters who's names you can't remember, who all die in the end. The plot is about a group of people who have no allegiance or loyalty to a cause or one another; attempt to get a thing, to do a thing... In another movie. RO is basically a commercial for ANH. The same way Iron Man 2 was a commercial for the Avengers. And most people at the time dragged IM2 for this aspect.

Solo blows. It's like they wanted to make a random Star Wars movie, but needed a hook for the audience, so they threw Han Solo in it. Han feels like a supporting character in his own movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    But Finn, Poe, Poe's entourage of anonymous red shirts, Rose, Holdo, Maz Kanata (a story for another time), Hux, Phasma, Snoke, Knights of Who (Ren?) are all opaque. There's nothing to them. Despite the emphasis the people behind the cameras and the movies would have us believe.
    If you take a step back and look at was actually in the movies as opposed to dozens of comics and novels and whatnot, you'll find the vast majority of original and prequel trilogies just as opaque.

Palpatine didn't even have a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Palpatine didn't even have a name.
    And he really didn't need one he was that great of a villian.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    And he really didn't need one he was that great of a villian.
    That's not the point.

And was he really? He was a nameless, ultra-cliched, one-dimensional cypher nobody knew anything about and who looked like a genderswitched wicked witch from Snow White. The only greatness about him came from Ian McDiarmid.
    Last edited by Carabas; 07-02-2018 at 12:46 AM.

That's the new cool thing to do if you are a sequels apologist to bash the OT?

Ultimate Member

Orignals
    Prequels
    Rogue One
    Force Awakens

Last Jedi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I'm not bashing anything. I'm just pointing out that a lot of criticisms levelled at the newer movies apply equally to the older ones.

Poe's entourage of anonymous red shirts? Right, because guys like Wedge, Porkins, Red Leader the Nameless, Hobbie, and Nien Nunb got such deep characterisation in the original trilogy. And the one red shirt who actually had some development in the script, Biggs Darklighter, got all of it cut from the finished movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Not sure about that, I'm a sequels "apologist," if that's what they're calling it these days, and I love the original movies. (I have noticed that things people pick on in TFA/TLJ are sometimes things that they seem to give the originals a pass on, but one doesn't need to bash the originals to point that out.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The OT is probably better than the prequels but the prequels will always be my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That's not the point.

And was he really? He was a nameless, ultra-cliched, one-dimensional cypher nobody knew anything about and who looked like a genderswitched wicked witch from Snow White. The only greatness about him came from Ian McDiarmid.
    I think he was a great dark over Lord type.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    OT and PT blow the ST out of the water.

The ST's biggest problem is it has no identity. It's basically co-oped the OT's aesthetic and story points and rehashed them.

Coupled with a cast you can't really get excited for. Rey, Kylo, BB-8 are the best new things the ST have to offer.

The anthology films are really meh. RO has a cast of characters who's names you can't remember, who all die in the end. The plot is about a group of people who have no allegiance or loyalty to a cause or one another; attempt to get a thing, to do a thing... In another movie. RO is basically a commercial for ANH. The same way Iron Man 2 was a commercial for the Avengers. And most people at the time dragged IM2 for this aspect.

Solo blows. It's like they wanted to make a random Star Wars movie, but needed a hook for the audience, so they threw Han Solo in it. Han feels like a supporting character in his own movie.
    I largely agree with this except I think Rey is an interesting character. The Last Jedi didn't really expand on her character much but there's something there that's interesting.

I 100% agree that the sequels have largely been empty. This has more to do with TLJ not really building up on what was set-up in TFA.

I view PT and OT as a complete saga so I actually like them both.

But if I have to choose, I would say PT because I'm more fond of it.