Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I view PT and OT as a complete saga so I actually like them both.

But if I have to choose, I would say PT because I'm more fond of it.
    This is the sequel trilogy's main issue: the story was complete. All of the villains neatly defeated, heroes going to their happy ever after...

Any kind of sequel was always going to be divisive because it had to mess with that.

The EU originally took the story beyond the OT, although the heroes-although they suffered many setbacks and some characters were killed off (Chewbacca, some of the ROTJ rebels and a few characters originated in the book).

The Legacy comics of course took things down a similar path to the sequel trilogy, with a Resurgant Empire/Sith, the Republic reduced to rebels again etc but that took place a century or so later on, where Luke and co. presumably lived full lives.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I largely agree with this except I think Rey is an interesting character. The Last Jedi didn't really expand on her character much but there's something there that's interesting.

I 100% agree that the sequels have largely been empty. This has more to do with TLJ not really building up on what was set-up in TFA.
    I put Rey as one of the best things in the new trilogy. Rey, BB-8 and Kylo. It was everyone else that sucked it, big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    This is the sequel trilogy's main issue: the story was complete. All of the villains neatly defeated, heroes going to their happy ever after...

Any kind of sequel was always going to be divisive because it had to mess with that.
    That's "sequelitis" for you.

Sequelitis being when a sequel remakes the original inside the established universe.

A New Hope - The Force Awakens
    Evil Dead - Evil Dead 2
    Superman TM - Superman Returns
    Wrath of Khan - Nemesis, 2009, Into Darkness, Beyond (Bad guy who wants revenge against a crew member of the Enterprise and plans to use macguffin device to do it.)
    Raiders of the Lost Arc - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Or the sequel undoes the original.

Ending of ROTJ undone to facilitate TFA and TLJ. Because how else were TPTB going to spin yarn from the Star Wars IP? #sarcasm

The sequels to the original Planet of the Apes movies. Tying themselves into such a convoluted knot, that the original couldn't even happen at all.

Just about every DTV Disney sequel.

There are other examples but you get the picture. Avoid sequelitis. Avoid remakes! Do something new.

To be fair it's not like this new trilogy had to tie into the Skywalker saga. I think the scorched earth approach they took with JJ's mystery boxes might be a mistake in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I put Rey as one of the best things in the new trilogy. Rey, BB-8 and Kylo. It was everyone else that sucked it, big time.

That's "sequelitis" for you.

Sequelitis being when a sequel remakes the original inside the established universe.

A New Hope - The Force Awakens
    Evil Dead - Evil Dead 2
    Superman TM - Superman Returns
    Wrath of Khan - Nemesis, 2009, Into Darkness, Beyond (Bad guy who wants revenge against a crew member of the Enterprise and plans to use macguffin device to do it.)
    Raiders of the Lost Arc - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Or the sequel undoes the original.

Ending of ROTJ undone to facilitate TFA and TLJ. Because how else were TPTB going to spin yarn from the Star Wars IP? #sarcasm

The sequels to the original Planet of the Apes movies. Tying themselves into such a convoluted knot, that the original couldn't even happen at all.

Just about every DTV Disney sequel.

There are other examples but you get the picture. Avoid sequelitis. Avoid remakes! Do something new.
    I'd say "The Last Crusade" was probably a bit closer to RAIDERS in plot, with the same basic villains, a partial desert setting with a complex chase involving horses, several vehichles etc, the return of Marcus and Sallah....biblical (or semi-biblical) artifact.....although certainly it evokes Raiders with the return of Marion and the hanger at the beginning...and it also sort of brings back the whole father/son double act element of TLC as well, complete with motorcycle chase.

Another case is also the Metal gear Solid series, in which 2 largely had similar elements to the first "Solid" game (Which itself borrowed quite a bit from the second non-Solid title) but the repetition was actually intended as an element /deconstruction of the game's plot which suddenly went in unexpected directions (Which were tied up in a somewhat weird way two games later)....where it turned out the whole mission was created as an experiment by a supercomputer in how to control human behavior (and sort of a commentary on video games in general).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-05-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think the original trilogy is the best, with the sequels (so far) being a very close second, and the prequels at third. However, that said, I think that while the originals are the most re-watchable overall, the prequels have the best story (on paper, the execution has its flaws) and I've latched onto the sequel characters the most. So, while ANH will forever be most favorite Star Wars movie of all time and I grew up with the originals and prequels, the sequel trilogy is "my" Star Wars trilogy.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

As others have said, it's primarily an age thing. For me it's the original original trilogy.

I went to The Empire Strikes Back for my 10th birthday and after that SW became an important part of my life for many years.

I have seen the prequels and actually quite enjoyed The Phantom Menace but don't care much for the other two, especially AOTC, (which IMO is one of the worst films ever, not just SW).

TFA was ok as films go but was just too much of a pastiche of ANH. I haven't seen TLJ.

Not interested in RO or Solo.

My ranking

1: Empire Strikes Back.
    2: A New Hope.
    3: Return of the Jedi.
    4: The Force Awakens.
    5: Rogue One.
    6: Prequels (Just watch Clone Wars Series and skip the films and watch a fan Mvid of the Fall of Anakin to film in the gaps.).
    7: Well that's it I can't remember any Star Wars films since Rogue One nope all blanks

Its a bit early imo. The new trilogy is yet to end. The prequels come last. My opinion has changed on them. They are not bad. The only boring film was Attack of the Clones imo. But it was still redeemed by the bonkers third act. Revenge of the Sith was quite good. The Phantom Menance has one of the best Star Wars scenes. That race. And the duel of fates was great.

If the originals were not as beloved i don't think the prequels would get that much hate. I watched the prequels first and thought they were good.

The originals are my favorite. They are just so good. Love all of it.

The new trilogy has been great so far. I loved TFA. My mind was blown by TLJ. In quality its the only film which is near the originals imo. I hope they end this trilogy nicely.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Original trilogy
    Post trilogy
    Pre trilogy
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    The new trilogy has been great so far. I loved TFA. My mind was blown by TLJ. In quality its the only film which is near the originals imo. I hope they end this trilogy nicely.
    Agreed. I love the new trilogy. I don't understand why fans hate on them.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I can understand it. I don't agree with all the criticisms but I can understand them. Some love the EU and don't like that it was wiped for a new canon. Some don't like Rey, they think she's OP. Some don't buy Kylo Ren as an intimidating villain. Some don't like OT characters being killed off. Some greatly disagreed with Luke's mindset and characterization. Etc.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

It's too early to rank the sequel trilogy, as we don't know how it will end. But I think it's pretty clear that the OT will remain the best. ANH and ESB are 2 of the greatest films ever made, and no other movie in the franchise can say that, no matter their strengths or weaknesses.

I think it was a mistake to just undo the end of ROTJ and prefer most of the EU to the new canon, but looking past that TFA and TLJ are still good on their own merits. I prefer TLJ as it isn't a carbon copy of a better movie and has some of the best scenes in any sci-fi movie, let alone Star Wars, but I can get some of the hate it gets.

Extraordinary Member

Way to early to call on where the ST ranks, since not only is it not finished, but it’s enitre nature may not be defined until IX is released. I mean, TFA and TLJ are already so opposed in their focus, priorities, and creative styling that if IX favors one over the other, it might make the ST feel more like a duo logo with a weird standout film, a bit like how TPM interacts with the rest of the PT.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Way to early to call on where the ST ranks, since not only is it not finished, but it’s enitre nature may not be defined until IX is released. I mean, TFA and TLJ are already so opposed in their focus, priorities, and creative styling that if IX favors one over the other, it might make the ST feel more like a duo logo with a weird standout film, a bit like how TPM interacts with the rest of the PT.
    Really? I thought that TFA and TLJ went together pretty well.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)