Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know Volume 1 TPB question

It looks like the darkhorse.com listing for this has it covering the story from issues #1-4 at a cover price of $19.99 (U.S. $'s).

However, if you had bought the four issues as single issues, the total price would have been $15.96, about $4.00 less than the tpb.

Anybody know what else was included with the more expensive tpb version?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It looks like the darkhorse.com listing for this has it covering the story from issues #1-4 at a cover price of $19.99 (U.S. $'s).

However, if you had bought the four issues as single issues, the total price would have been $15.96, about $4.00 less than the tpb.

Anybody know what else was included with the more expensive tpb version?
    there should be 5 issues in the tpb. must be a typo.

Yeah, there's 5 issues, plus a short story. It's a typo.

The Claw of Justice!

What's the short story?
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by breen2057 View Post
    there should be 5 issues in the tpb. must be a typo.
    Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Yeah, there's 5 issues, plus a short story. It's a typo.
    In that case, since I just bought issues #6 & 7 at the comic book shop yesterday, looks like I'm ordering the TPB shortly!

(I hadn't been focusing on the Hell on Earth / apocalyptic stuff as much, concentrating more on things taking place before then, but the cover to issue #8 has me interested!)

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    What's the short story?
    Broken Vessels from the Hellboy Winter Special 2016

http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Broken_Vessels

The Claw of Justice!

In that case, since I just bought issues #6 & 7 at the comic book shop yesterday, looks like I'm ordering the TPB shortly!

(I hadn't been focusing on the Hell on Earth / apocalyptic stuff as much, concentrating more on things taking place before then, but the cover to issue #8 has me interested!)
    If you're not caught up on Hell on Earth, I would highly recommend reading all of that before starting The Devil You Know. Arcudi's run was magnificent, and reading Devil You Know first will spoil a lot of plot developments. YMMV, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    Broken Vessels from the Hellboy Winter Special 2016

http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Broken_Vessels
    Oh, right, I forgot. Thanks!
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    If you're not caught up on Hell on Earth, I would highly recommend reading all of that before starting The Devil You Know.
    Don't have the time, money, or patience to read all of Hell on Earth (nor Abe Sapien nor earlier B.P.R.D. (pre-HoE)) collections first.

Got some 20% off coupons for Barnes & Noble in the mail today, so . . . just placed an order for the BPRD:TDYK TPB.

Fantastic Member

Don't have the time, money, or patience to read all of Hell on Earth (nor Abe Sapien nor earlier B.P.R.D. (pre-HoE)) collections first.
    If you don’t mind me asking, which books have you been reading? Have you been following Hellboy exclusively?

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    If you don’t mind me asking, which books have you been reading? Have you been following Hellboy exclusively?
    Well, that's a bit hard to answer.
    I bought the four issue series "Seed of Destruction" back in 1994 when they first came out.
    Then, in about 1995, I pretty much stopped buying comic books completely for about 15 years.
    When I eventually started buying stuff again, it wasn't Hellboy/ independent publisher related at first, but since then, I've tended to go more for pre-End-of-the-World stuff, like Lobster Johnson and Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder. (Also got the tpb collection of Sledgehammer '44.)
    I have been buying the tpb collections of Hellboy from time to time (just read Vol. 8: Darkness Calls) as well as single issues of Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. as they get published.
    As for B.P.R.D. itself, not so much. But I'm giving The Devil You Know a try now.

Amazing Member

Well, that's a bit hard to answer.
    I bought the four issue series "Seed of Destruction" back in 1994 when they first came out.
    Then, in about 1995, I pretty much stopped buying comic books completely for about 15 years.
    When I eventually started buying stuff again, it wasn't Hellboy/ independent publisher related at first, but since then, I've tended to go more for pre-End-of-the-World stuff, like Lobster Johnson and Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder. (Also got the tpb collection of Sledgehammer '44.)
    I have been buying the tpb collections of Hellboy from time to time (just read Vol. 8: Darkness Calls) as well as single issues of Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. as they get published.
    As for B.P.R.D. itself, not so much. But I'm giving The Devil You Know a try now.
    you are missing out on a great deal of build up details that will add to the story like Agent Ashley Strodes background and as for Varvara well she has a interesting history.
    It would be like watching the first half of the the Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring, skipping The Two Towers and watching the last half of The Return of the King. how would you even understand anything that is going on and what it means.

It just seems a strange thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by breen2057 View Post
    you are missing out on a great deal of build up details that will add to the story like Agent Ashley Strodes background and as for Varvara well she has a interesting history.
    It would be like watching the first half of the the Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring, skipping The Two Towers and watching the last half of The Return of the King. how would you even understand anything that is going on and what it means.

It just seems a strange thing to do.
    So, you folks are getting into "elitist-mode" where you're saying if I didn't already read 7-8 years worth of stories split among various titles (even more years if we're talking about pre-Hell on Earth B.P.R.D.), I might as well not bother to buy the latest series?
    Okay. Guess I'll send the book back and try to sell the two single issues I just bought.

I bet just on its own The Devil You Know could make for an excellent read.

I think people can decide for themselves how or what they read perfectly.

But I also think there wouldn't necessarily be harm meant in people making suggestions? Just saying.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    . . . But I also think there wouldn't necessarily be harm meant in people making suggestions? Just saying.
    Let's just say how two people here have already "suggested" not starting with The Devil You Know until after reading, what, more than maybe 75 or so previous issues? That almost becomes a discouragement rather than helpful advice.
    It's basically saying "don't bother trying it out".