Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Conan the Avenger / the Slayer - looking for opinions and recoomendations

Hi fellow Cimmerians

I dropped out of the main Conan comic after Wood's travesty of a run and skipped both the Avenger and the Slaver, reading only King Conan. Also as some might know I took a leave from comics since late 2015 and I've been catching up for some months now.

So I'd like to hear opinions about both runs, I generally like Van Lente so perhaps the Avenger might be a good read.

Bunn is competent leaning on good but is better at writing characters who are more morally gray like Magneto and Sinestro, not sure Conan would have been a good fit for him.

I want to know if these runs are worth catching up with until Marvel relaunches the franchise. All opinions appreciated.

I thought both were fine. Bunns got cut short unfotunetly. Both runs felt a bit safe to me, and i didnt find any of the art particularly appealing or memorable. But i loved Woods run, so make of that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I thought both were fine. Bunns got cut short unfotunetly. Both runs felt a bit safe to me, and i didnt find any of the art particularly appealing or memorable. But i loved Woods run, so make of that what you will.
    Thanks for your input, Im looking for a comparison to Busiek's, Mignola's and Truman's runs on Conan / King Conan with Dark Horse, did you read those by any chance?

Wood's run wasn't very good except for a three or four arcs IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
    Thanks for your input, Im looking for a comparison to Busiek's, Mignola's and Truman's runs on Conan / King Conan with Dark Horse, did you read those by any chance?

Wood's run wasn't very good except for a three or four arcs IMO.
    Yeah, the Busiek/Truman run remains the best stuff, imo. I guess Avenger and Slayer were more in line with that than Woods run in the sense that its more of a 'classic Conan', but I myself thought Woods was just of a higher quality and just more interesting than the last couple of series were.