Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm betting 84 is a prequal to DoJ

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Besides the stock answer of "but I don't need her to fly", what will your answer be when WW1984 comes out and we still have the same Wonder Woman with the current powers she had in Justice League? According to you, they won't limit Patty Jenkins because of the position she is in, but again, what will your answer be then?
    Well, I don't need her to fly, but that doesn't mean I am against it either. My favorite run is Marston's and she didn't fly there, so if I have a flightless Wonder Woman it's not an automatic fail. I chiefly want this to be a good movie with great plotting, characterization and themes, and that can be accomplished whether they have her fly or not. If I still love the movie overall, my answer will be "oh well, I guess they are adhering to DCEU continuity more than I thought they would despite everyone hating JL and they will give her flight in the modern day WW3." Is your stock answer going to be that WW is ruined and they should fire Jenkins and Gadot and scrap the whole thing, even if it is otherwise a huge financial and critical success, especially among the casual audience?

But seeing as how Justice League bombed and nobody would care if WW84 contradicts it, and that Jenkins has publicly stated she wants to have a full powered WW and she may have had a hand in getting Whedon fired from WB, and we have an account from a photographer witnessing the stunt that made it sound like she flies (with no lasso on the wind action), I think we're getting flight in this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Honestly, considering how relatively poorly the DCEU has been received, I'd say don't let WW1984 be completely constricted to continuity. If she can fly in WW1984, but can't fly in or BvS, big whoop for inconsistency.

If these were all critically acclaimed movies, I'd be more inclined to be a stickler for continuity.
    Yeah, they are already kind of contradicting Diana's line in BvS about walking away from humanity. Which was kind of vague to begin with, but Gadot said that during production they realized that wasn't right for the character, so Jenkins trilogy is looking more and more likely to do it's own thing.

I kind of don't expect anything but the broad strokes to be kept. She helped humanity a lot between her solo film and BvS but perhaps didn't come out into the full blown open until fighting Doomsday, and she later joins the JL. Details like not flying in JL (BvS the power displays were too quick and vague that that one isn't as much of a problem) if she gains flight in WW84 can be glossed over fairly easily because odds are WW84 is going to be much better received than JL.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 06-30-2018 at 06:32 AM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Well, I don't need her to fly, but that doesn't mean I am against it either. My favorite run is Marston's and she didn't fly there, so if I have a flightless Wonder Woman it's not an automatic fail. I chiefly want this to be a good movie with great plotting, characterization and themes, and that can be accomplished whether they have her fly or not. If I still love the movie overall, my answer will be "oh well, I guess they are adhering to DCEU continuity more than I thought they would despite everyone hating JL and they will give her flight in the modern day WW3." Is your stock answer going to be that WW is ruined and they should fire Jenkins and Gadot and scrap the whole thing, even if it is otherwise a huge financial and critical success, especially among the casual audience?

But seeing as how Justice League bombed and nobody would care if WW84 contradicts it, and that Jenkins has publicly stated she wants to have a full powered WW and she may have had a hand in getting Whedon fired from WB, and we have an account from a photographer witnessing the stunt that made it sound like she flies (with no lasso on the wind action), I think we're getting flight in this one.

Yeah, they are already kind of contradicting Diana's line in BvS about walking away from humanity. Which was kind of vague to begin with, but Gadot said that during production they realized that wasn't right for the character, so Jenkins trilogy is looking more and more likely to do it's own thing.

I kind of don't expect anything but the broad strokes to be kept. She helped humanity a lot between her solo film and BvS but perhaps didn't come out into the full blown open until fighting Doomsday, and she later joins the JL. Details like not flying in JL (BvS the power displays were too quick and vague that that one isn't as much of a problem) if she gains flight in WW84 can be glossed over fairly easily because odds are WW84 is going to be much better received than JL.
    It does sound like the stock answer I have read from many posts here, including yours. So now, if we don't get her to fly in WW84, we have to wait until WW3 for it to happen? Might as well reboot the character if we have to wait that long and get the clay origin back.

I, myself, don't have a stock answer to her inability to fly. I saw the movie 3 times in the theatre so it isn't that I didn't like the movie. So I think to say I will blame Patty Jenkins is going a little overboard on your part. If she doesn't get her to fly under her own power (no wind currents), then she probably doesn't have the clout that you think she has. And as for Gadot, I have publicly stated that I didn't like her casting and still don't, but she did a serviceable job in her role so far. So I really doubt I will go in the extreme direction as you would have others believe.

But, until she has the powers that is associated with her for the last 30+ years in the comics, this is not a version of Wonder Woman that I like in the current, modern times.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It does sound like the stock answer I have read from many posts here, including yours. So now, if we don't get her to fly in WW84, we have to wait until WW3 for it to happen? Might as well reboot the character if we have to wait that long and get the clay origin back.

I, myself, don't have a stock answer to her inability to fly. I saw the movie 3 times in the theatre so it isn't that I didn't like the movie. So I think to say I will blame Patty Jenkins is going a little overboard on your part. If she doesn't get her to fly under her own power (no wind currents), then she probably doesn't have the clout that you think she has. And as for Gadot, I have publicly stated that I didn't like her casting and still don't, but she did a serviceable job in her role so far. So I really doubt I will go in the extreme direction as you would have others believe.

But, until she has the powers that is associated with her for the last 30+ years in the comics, this is not a version of Wonder Woman that I like in the current, modern times.
    Rebooting the character just because flight MIGHT not be in WW84 would be a poor business descision, especially if it's a successful film. That would be unfair to a lot of people who like this version, and simply giving this version flight even in a third film would be simpler. If we reboot, people are already invested in this one and it would be a waste of time to get people on-board with a new one so soon.

Its a stock answer like yours because none of us know how it will go at this point. But Jenkins has a pay bump and she's responsible for the only successful DCEU property so far. That and the fact that they are already kind of contraditing BvS means her having more creative say and veto power isnt outside the realm of possibility.

changing her powers is as simple as giving her a magic relic that lets her fly. In some of the old comics she needed her boots to fly as it was. Maybe she didn't have them in DoJ for some reason or other? (obviously she had boots, just maybe not the magic ones.)