Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I don't think either character has anything to worry about. Carol has the MCU hype machine behind her and Diana has the only critically and financially successful film in the current stable of DC movies thus far. There's plenty of room for them to both do well.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

I'm not worried for either, but excited for both.

Both are great characters. Wonder Woman is and icon and Captain Marvel is a character "civilians" will get to learn about - kind of the like the Guardians of the Galaxy. The latter, especially, gives people something "new" discover as most everyone won't have any familiarity with her. I don't think it's a mistake to make Captain Marvel the most powerful superhero in the MCEU - that'll be fun.

They kind of hit different spots in terms of what people like - consistency and the known and excitement for the unknown. Ones a sequel to a blockbuster and the others a first outing for a blockbuster universe. Apples and oranges, but both equally tasty.

I am just worried about either movie flopping or being badly received. I want EVERY female-fronted superhero film we get to be hugely successful (critically and commercially) just so the studios keep making them, and maybe we will finally get the Vixen film that I have always dreamed about.

Incredible Member

I think both can and will thrive. We get plenty of male superhero movies, and they don't seem to cannibalize or effect each other at all. Last year, we got Spiderman, Thor, Logan and Guardians (I know this is an ensemble, but it mostly center's around Starlord). The same can happen for Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman, especially as they are months apart.

This is just a weird hunch, but I actually think they are going to target different demographics. I see Wonder Woman having a larger female audience and a female audience that covers a larger age demographic - like the first movie - and I think Captain Marvel will actually appeal to men more.

I think it doesn't need to worry money-wise, but about the quality... Well, the comparisons will be unavoidable between the two. The DCEU is not in its best days right now, while Marvel is on the top of their game. Also, Wonder Woman won't be a new title anymore, so comparisons to the first film will also pop up. Let's consider that important since they changed the writers, Patty took the creative directions of the franchise, people rely on the movie to be great again and "save" the DCEU and all (we have Aquaman and Shazam to change those perceptions, but you get the idea).

I just don't want WW84 to be received as an inferior quality movie, and since Marvel has top special FX, writers and production... It may feel flat in comparison.

If quality is the worry, then one should be worried no matter if there is a competitor or not.

Also, in some ways the MCU is fighting their own battles, just as the DC is fighting theirs. They still haven't shown that they can manage to grab a serious theme and really explore it, and IMO Black Panther suffered for it. I think they also struggle in building the dramatic and emotional core of many of their conflicts, leading to an inflation in bloodless carnage.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

In one movie, we will get a female superhero who can fly, and in the other we have Wonder Woman.

I have more faith in the Marvel universe more accurately portraying a hero's powers than I do in the DCEU.

I think it will be cool to see Carol Danvers flying on screen. Maybe it will let the DCEU realize that you don't need a cape to look good to fly.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I don't think either character has anything to worry about. Carol has the MCU hype machine behind her and Diana has the only critically and financially successful film in the current stable of DC movies thus far. There's plenty of room for them to both do well.
    This is a good attitude to have. We should be happy we are getting more female lead superhero films, and be less concerned over which corporate logo is attached to them.

I'm a far bigger fan of Wonder Woman and think it will likely be the better movie overall. If for no other reason than Jenkins hopefully has the clout now to make a self contained move and not have it be a commercial for future movies. As an MCU product, Captain Marvel having that stuff in it is an inevitability. But I hope they don't go overboard with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Maybe it will let the DCEU realize that you don't need a cape to look good to fly.
    Wonder Woman 1984 will do that just find on its own. I trust Jenkins far more than I do Grace Randolph.

She got the origin movie out of the way, and she has expressed she wants Wonder Woman to be fully formed and at full power in the sequel now that she's acquired her powers. Nobody is in position to tell her no.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 06-28-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Incredible Member

Maybe it will let the DCEU realize that you don't need a cape to look good to fly.
    Cyborg doesn't have a cape and he can fly in the DDCEU!

And Wonder Woman did have a cape / cloak designed for DoJ - it even had an eagle / feather motif, but they didn't end up using it.

Either way, Wonder Woman should be able to "fly" whatever they call it and however they feel the need to "justify / explain" it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Wonder Woman 1984 will do that just find on its own. I trust Jenkins far more than I do Grace Randolph.

She got the origin movie out of the way, and she has expressed she wants Wonder Woman to be fully formed and at full power in the sequel now that she's acquired her powers. Nobody is in position to tell her no.
    Besides the stock answer of "but I don't need her to fly", what will your answer be when WW1984 comes out and we still have the same Wonder Woman with the current powers she had in Justice League? According to you, they won't limit Patty Jenkins because of the position she is in, but again, what will your answer be then?

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I think BTB was talking about female flyers in DC. I had to think for a moment about them. The list gets a bit shorter when you cut out the female flyers with capes.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post

And Wonder Woman did have a cape / cloak designed for DoJ - it even had an eagle / feather motif, but they didn't end up using it.

Either way, Wonder Woman should be able to "fly" whatever they call it and however they feel the need to "justify / explain" it.
    Cyborg, the guy who has never had the ability to fly as far as my knowledge of the character. He can fly, but Wonder Woman can't. Good call DCEU.

Cyborg is basically a Ironman ripoff and the machine types apparently aren't needing an excuse of a cape to fly,

Incredible Member

Cyborg, the guy who has never had the ability to fly as far as my knowledge of the character. He can fly, but Wonder Woman can't. Good call DCEU.

Cyborg is basically a Ironman ripoff and the machine types apparently aren't needing an excuse of a cape to fly,
    Oh, I agree! I strongly agree. Cyborg gets powered-up whereas Wonder Woman gets powered-down. Where's the logic in that. Still, so many of the power levels in the DCEU are confusing.

Besides the stock answer of "but I don't need her to fly", what will your answer be when WW1984 comes out and we still have the same Wonder Woman with the current powers she had in Justice League? According to you, they won't limit Patty Jenkins because of the position she is in, but again, what will your answer be then?
    Honestly, considering how relatively poorly the DCEU has been received, I'd say don't let WW1984 be completely constricted to continuity. If she can fly in WW1984, but can't fly in or BvS, big whoop for inconsistency.

If these were all critically acclaimed movies, I'd be more inclined to be a stickler for continuity.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Honestly, considering how relatively poorly the DCEU has been received, I'd say don't let WW1984 be completely constricted to continuity. If she can fly in WW1984, but can't fly in or BvS, big whoop for inconsistency.
    I agree. Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman 1984 and what I hope will be a third Wonder Woman movie can all exist in their own little trilogy bubble of continuity.