Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Best and Worst Writter for your favorite characther

Like the title said, who is the writter that in you opinion wrote the best version of your fav and also the one the give nightmares at night .

My favorite is Wolverine so i would start:

Best
    Chris Claremont

Wolverine has been written by many people over the years and he has great runs under Hama, PAD, Nicieza, Tieri, Millar, Windsor-Smith, etc. But CC was the one that actually gave Logan depth and created an strong foundation for him that has made him last to this day, from his samurai honor, to the man/beast conflict and his adamantium claws, there is something about his version that i still find very compelling.

Worst
    Jason Aaron

This was hard, because i think that he actually has some good stories and his interpretation of the characther does have some interesting ideas, but i can't get over the mess that was Schism, wasn't a fan of turning Logan in a self rigtheous mother-hen idiot and how he was changed to fit that stupid narrative of Cyclops=Magneto and Wolverine=Xavier, it just sucked.

Well thas my take, who are yours

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Sabretooth
    Best
    Dan Jolley, who wrote Mary Shelley Overdrive, which is one of my favorite stories with Creed. It wasn't a mutant book, and it was strictly Creed's tale. Logan didn't show up, nor was he ever mentioned. And all the right character points of Sabretooth got hit in his short mini. Creed had his disgusting side, but showed his skillful, intelligent, and even compassionate side as well. I also thought Jason Aaron did a good Creed. His worst offense was the Creed x Mystique mess he threw up.

Worst
    Greg Pak, closely tied with Loeb. But Creed's had so many bad ones, it's hard to chose. lol And they're all bad for the same reason. Dumbing down Creed into an incompetent oaf, and writing him as a one-note joke / Logan cock ring. I could rant, but I won't lol

Deadpool
    Best
    Joel Kelly w/o a doubt. Loved 90's DP. Deadpool was a very dark and gritty character with tons of insecurity and self-hatred. He was also the most badass there than he's ever been.

Worst
    Daniel Way, and there's no contest. Making Deadpool into a one-note Peter Griffin clown character who hears random voices in his head, and can't tell reality from fantasy.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-26-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Everyone knows my answers. I won't rant.

Short & Sweet

Sabretooth
    Best
    Dan Jolley, who wrote Mary Shelley Overdrive, which is one of my favorite stories with Creed.

Worst
    Greg Pak, closely tied with Loeb. But Creed's had so many bad ones, it's hard to chose. lol

Deadpool
    Best
    Joel Kelly w/o a doubt. Loved 90's DP

Worst
    Daniel Way, and there's no contest
    I was close to considering Daniel Way in my 'worst" part, but most writters ignored his stuff so i could live with it, sad for Deadpool fans thougth.
    Last edited by TheCape; 06-26-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I was close to considering Daniel Way in my 'worst" part, but most writters ignored his stuff so i could libe with it, sad for Deadpool fans thougth.
    Though it makes me a traitor, I did like Daniel Way's Sabretooth when he was hunting the Wendigo. I think it was called Death Hunt. So I give him props for a good Sabretooth, which is more rare than a good Deadpool.

Nightcrawler

Best: Chris Claremont and Alan Davis, no question. I did really enjoy Jason Aaron's opening arc in Amazing X-men, though. He nailed the character, in my opinion. I would've liked to have seen Aaron stick with it a little longer.

Worst: This is really hard to pin down, to be honest. Probably Chuck Austen, because the development under him led to disuse and finally killing the character off for awhile. Having said that, Nightcrawler too often has suffered from writers who don't get him or who turn him into a one note wonder (that religious guy). Guest writers or writers who use him as a special appearance seem to do better. For example, I thought the Excalibur reunion was cute, and spot on as far as how Nightcrawler and Brian were written. (The others, not so much.) He was fun in a Deadpool issue last year. /shrug
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 06-26-2018 at 06:08 PM.

BANNED

Cyclops.

Best. Louise Simonson, Joss Whedon and Kieron Gillen (right, not just one. Actually there are so many others, but, well, sorry...)

Worst. Jason Aaron and Jeff Lemire (Schism, AvX, EXM and IvX are unforgivable)

Emma Frost.

Best: She has some good ones across the board. I personally like Bendis, but others were strong too.

Worst: Yet another vote for the world's ultimate Wolverine fanboy, Jason Aaron. IvX is a travesty, Schism was a mess for everyone, and AvX parts written by Aaron are painful.

Fantastic Member

RACHEL SUMMERS

Best: Scott Lobdell. He killed her but those last moments from Excalibur to Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix really highlighted her strength as a character

Worst: This abomination that is Marc Gugghenheim

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Emma Frost.

Best: She has some good ones across the board. I personally like Bendis, but others were strong too.

Worst: Yet another vote for the world's ultimate Wolverine fanboy, Jason Aaron. IvX is a travesty, Schism was a mess for everyone, and AvX parts written by Aaron are painful.
    IvX was by Charles Soule and Jeff Lemire, not Aaron.

Wolverine

Best: Larry Hama, Chris Claremont, Eric Larsen, Jo Duffy, Ann Nocenti, Kathryn Immonen, Charlie Huston, Barry Windsor-Smith, Frank Tieri, Mark Millar, and Greg Rucka.

Worst: Jason Aaron, Daniel Way, Tom Taylor, and Paul Cornell.

Cable

Best: Fabian Nicieza, James Robinson, Joe Casey, Jeph Loeb, and Robert Wienberg.

Worst: James Robinson. I know, I put him in the best, and he wrote a good Cable in the 90's. The reason I put him was he wrote last year a bad one. Funny that I only have one bad writer with Cable, lol.

Wolverine
    Best Chris Claremont and Larry Hama are tied at number one. The whole series had good writing. Frank Tieri did really good as well.

Worst Jason Aaron. He is awful. Wolverine goes to Hell is **** just like the rest of his run. He gave enemies lazer claws. The Red Hand was trash.

Cullen Bunn did pretty bad as well. After Wolverine Legacy Tom Taylor makes this list as well.

Thor.

Best Walt Simonson. His run is a masterpiece. Dan Jurgens had a damn good run as well.

Worst Jason Aaron, Fraction

X-men. Just about everyone.

Best. Claremont obviously. Then just about every writer of the 90s.

Worst. Bendis on Uncanny, Fraction, Gillen and Morrison. Just awful

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Jean Grey

Best:
    This is hard. There's a trio of writers that I feel nail Jean's voice the absolute best - Louise Simonson, Grant Morrison, and Tom Taylor. The three of them have her voice down so well; narratively, these three writers write her so powerfully and characterize her beautifully. It's believable to think that Weezy's Jean turned into Morrison's and has turned into Taylor. She's so powerful, both with her actual powers and through her persona, compassionate, fiery... but I'm gonna give this to what we've seen of Tom Taylor's Jean. I'm loving what we've gotten so far and I'm so excited to see what we get going forward.

Worst: Would it be cheating to say the writers of the X-Men Animated Series from 1992? Yes? ... aw. Jean is a character that is almost consistently written well (apart from the times in the 90's where she was practically waifish) so picking a writer that really doesn't write her well at all is also incredibly challenging. Bendis? I guess? Not in that I don't like Teen Jean, because I do, and not that I'm more or less an apologist of her character arc in All New X-Men, but that was probably the worst look for Jean (especially around issue 6)
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Magneto

Best: Chris Claremont & Cullen Bunn. Both know how to write Mags as at once terrifying but sympathetic. As he should be.

Worst: Morrison. Dunno how he got away with how he trashed Mags.

X-23

Best: Kyle & Yost. The gold standard. Not a one of their successors have wrote Laura as great as they did.

Worse: Hopeless, Bendis, and whoever wrote that godawful Ghost Rider story. Neither of these three had the slightest clue on how to write Laura.

Quicksilver

Best: Peter David. I kinda feel like no one except PAD should be allowed to write him tbh.

Worst: James Robinson & Steve Englehart. Both seemed to just want to character assassinate him.
    Last edited by Beaubier; 06-26-2018 at 10:30 PM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

fave character Wolverine:

Best:Claremont
    Worst: Daniel Way
    X-Men Forever

Storm:

Best-Lord Claremont

Worst-hard to tell(there have been so many bad Storm writers), but Guggenheim, Bendis, Fraction, and Aaron are all close though.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!