Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I'm pretty rotten at remembering the bad portrayals because I probably stop reading them or maybe just block them out so I'll just list my faves for my faves?

edit: Disqualifying Claremont because he's too easy a choice. :P

Sunspot: Al Ewing -I cannot emphasize strongly enough how much Ewing is responsible for lighting the fanboy fire in my heart for Berto.
    Nightcrawler: Mike Carey - the story that most immediately springs to mind is his Necrosha tie-in. His interaction with Magneto, especially, was just so spot on.
    Illyana: Chris Yost - both for restoring her to the X-verse and his subsequent handling of her amidst his collective stories (X-Force, Second Coming, etc etc)
    Cyclops and Emma: Joss Whedon - I loved his take on them during Astonishing. Sorry not Sorry.
    Last edited by Fokken; 06-27-2018 at 06:57 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Storm: Favourites - Claremont (UXM and XXM), McDuffie (Fantastic Four) Coates (Black Panther), Brian Wood (XM)
    Not so good - Whoever wrote her in WaTXM vol. 2, Sam Humphries (UXF)

Rogue: Favourite - Claremont (UXM and XXM), Gage (XM:L), Remender (UA), Zub (UA)

Wolverine
    Best: Chris Claremont and Larry Hama
    Worst: Daniel way

Likely a controversial opinion...

Magik

Personal fave - Bendis

I know, I know, I know... but I loved the way she was able to hold her own in the Uncanny team of that time. She was holding her own against Emma, Scott, and Mags on power level, was resourceful and valuable to the team, had Wedon levels of snark, and was shown as someone to be taken seriously by all involved. Even as a member of Phoenix Force she wasn't treated with such a level of respect or dangerousness.

I also liked Yost, Claremont, .

Least fave - Not anyone in particular, but I really find myself cringing when they go from bad ass nearly omega level mutant to Pitor's little snowflake who needs protecting and spends the entire issue passed out and weeping in Colossus's arms. Happens a few times and it makes you wonder if they ever do continuity checks. I mean I get that they need to "take out" powerful characters now and again in order to present obstacles for the team and motivate Pitor, but turning her into this hyper vulnerable sack of wet noodles when an issue previous she had been on the front line seems really weird, esp when Claremont did this without compromising character in Uncanny #231.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    For Cyclops:
    Best: Simonson, Whedon and Bendis, believe it or not. Old man really made him an interesting character even if the revolution went nowhere.
    Worst: Aaron, definitely. He hates Cyclops for whatever reason, so it's not a surprise that he writes him awfully. Gillen is also awful, I can't bring myself to like his Cyclops. Only good memory I have of this version is him telling Emma that he's not going back to school since he finally graduated.
    Yes, I enjoyed the Cyclops written by Bendis. Unfortunately, Secret Wars put an end to his plans. Clearly, Bendis and Hickman did not get on too well. I mean, about the fate of Cyclops.
    But Bendis wrote the X-Men terribly. He made me like them less.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

For Jean:
    Best: Claremont made the character who she is practically from nothing. Also i dislike so many things about Morrison's run but his Jean was awesome.

Worst: none

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenom2893 View Post
    Wolverine

Best: Larry Hama, Chris Claremont, Eric Larsen, Jo Duffy, Ann Nocenti, Kathryn Immonen, Charlie Huston, Barry Windsor-Smith, Frank Tieri, Mark Millar, and Greg Rucka.

Worst: Jason Aaron, Daniel Way, Tom Taylor, and Paul Cornell.

Cable

Best: Fabian Nicieza, James Robinson, Joe Casey, Jeph Loeb, and Robert Wienberg.

Worst: James Robinson. I know, I put him in the best, and he wrote a good Cable in the 90's. The reason I put him was he wrote last year a bad one. Funny that I only have one bad writer with Cable, lol.
    Jo Duffy did a great job closing the Madripoor era with The Lazarus Project. Ann Nocenti wrote Logan? when? (Great list BTW)

Adding to Aaron i think that my problems with him come from the fact that i was never quite sure of wjat he was trying to say about Wolverine, Way and Loeb were bad but at least i could understand the idea, Logan has an horrible past and comitted many sins, but he can move on and be better if he chooses it, the writting was sloppy and i'm not a fan of the retcons and some charactherizations, but i got the idea. I can't say the same for Aaron, the best that i could gather thanks to that conversation with Scott in WTXM 39-40,.is that was aware that he was being an hypocrite, but he did what he did anyway because he didn't care what others thougth of him and was dissapointed that Scott wasn't the same man that he used to be?, i think that i'm reaching here honestly, but is the only thing that made sense, (besides wouldn't have made more sense to put Beast or Storm in that position anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Jo Duffy did a great job closing the Madripoor era with The Lazarus Project. Ann Nocenti wrote Logan? when? (Great list BTW)

Adding to Aaron i think that my problems with him come from the fact that i was never quite sure of wjat he was trying to say about Wolverine, Way and Loeb were bad but at least i could understand the idea, Logan has an horrible past and comitted many sins, but he can move on and be better if he chooses it, the writting was sloppy and i'm not a fan of the retcons and some charactherizations, but i got the idea. I can't say the same for Aaron, the best that i could gather thanks to that conversation with Scott in WTXM 39-40,.is that was aware that he was being an hypocrite, but he did what he did anyway because he didn't care what others thougth of him and was dissapointed that Scott wasn't the same man that he used to be?, i think that i'm reaching here honestly, but is the only thing that made sense, (besides wouldn't have made more sense to put Beast or Storm in that position anyway).
    Actually, I liked the Scott/Logan talk Aaron did. I think Logan was wrong when he said Scott didn't hate himself enough, but I can also see where he might think that. Real people can be wrong from time to time, fictional characters should also be able to be mistaken about stuff, so long as it seems in character for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Actually, I liked the Scott/Logan talk Aaron did. I think Logan was wrong when he said Scott didn't hate himself enough, but I can also see where he might think that. Real people can be wrong from time to time, fictional characters should also be able to be mistaken about stuff, so long as it seems in character for them.
    I like the talk and their banter then and i don't have a problem with Logan screwing up or being called out (god knows that Logan doesn't made the best decisions most of the time), hell i don't even mind him being an hypocrite as long as he is self aware enougth to realized it, but honestly Logan position on Schism never made much sense, sure he has raport with teens, but he always has been more about making then more able, stronger, effective and generally speaking less of a victim, if anything he would be the one telling to Hope and her generation to man up and fight, it felt really contrived. But well at least we got an awesome image of Cyclops and Wolverine getting drunk together.
    Last edited by TheCape; 06-27-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Psylocke.

Best - Chris Claremont on his first on all of his Uncanny/X-Men runs, even the third one.
    Remender gets a close second though, and Lobdell was pretty good as well.

Worst: Claremont on practically any title that wasn't X-Men or Uncanny X-Men. Most especially Exiles. I think that's more because he had lost his touch and was writing everybody badly.

Close second: Chuck Austen. He would normally be my go to for worst writer, but as Betsy was actually dead during his time she was spared the travesty of being subjected to his horrificness. But still, I'm going to assume that if he had ever written her, it would have been awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    For Cyclops.

Best: Simonsen, Whedon, Jeff Parker (Writer for X-Men: First Class)

Honorable mentions - Claremont during ANAD era, Rucka, writers for X-Men: Evolution

Worst: Brubaker, Soule, Lemire

Dishonorable mentions: Claremont post X-Factor, writers for Wolverine and the X-Men animated series.
    There's a case to be made that the WatXM Animated made EVERYONE look bad, except maybe Nightcrawler. I like the series (KARI WAHLGREN AS EMMA!!!!!), but it is not even a remotely good character story for Cyclops, Emma, Jean, Wolverine, or Xavier.

Everyone's taken my takes! So I'll have to cycle down out of my all-time favourite characters

I'm going with Hellion

Best- KYost. Close, so close, with DeFilipis/Weir. They fall short for not knowing who the character was from the get go, but, of course, this makes sense since they created him. He got some great development in Academy X, but I think the Childhood's End development just edges forwards. Seeing him mature and take shape as a genuine young X-Man was fantastic.

Worst- Another vote for Aaron. Mindless bully? Background character? Dismissal of his friends who died in the bus attack? These things do not describe Julian Keller. Aaron had a particular tone and type of book in mind for WatXM, which really didn't seem to be compatible with the existing characters.

Jean Grey

BEST: Everything from 86 to 2001.

WORST: Grant Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Psylocke.

Best - Chris Claremont on his first on all of his Uncanny/X-Men runs, even the third one.
    Remender gets a close second though, and Lobdell was pretty good as well.

Worst: Claremont on practically any title that wasn't X-Men or Uncanny X-Men. Most especially Exiles. I think that's more because he had lost his touch and was writing everybody badly.

Close second: Chuck Austen. He would normally be my go to for worst writer, but as Betsy was actually dead during his time she was spared the travesty of being subjected to his horrificness. But still, I'm going to assume that if he had ever written her, it would have been awful.
    Nice to hear you were intelligent enough to skip Sam Humphries' X-Force!
    Last edited by Selene; 06-27-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Storm

Best: Claremont hands down. Next would be Pak, Yost then Wood, they get her voice beautifully and don't back down to her powers, Wood just makes her a little too tough personality wise.

Worst: Fraction and Aaron, though Aaron does showcase her capability without her powers well he gets rid of them and uses them as if he has no idea what they are. Guggs (Kyss explained it very well) is a wildcard imo, she is shining one moment then getting koed off panel with little dialog the next, even though he clearly is interested in her he is intimidated by her voice and powers so he's forced to get rid of and silence them.