Spectacular Member

Character Magik

Best writer Chris Claremont
    Worst Writer - Guggenheim

Magik

Best: Claremont, Bendis, & Wells
    Worst: Gillen & Guggenheim

Jean Grey
    Best: This is premature but I have to say Taylor writes one of the best Jean, Ive read. Love his take on her
    Worst: Its actually hard to think of one. I thnk Jean has fortunately had some good writers over the years. There is stuff I havent liked, like how weak she's been made out to be in the 90s at times, but no one stands out as writing a bad Jean. I guess I'll cheat and say Hopeless bc I didnt like his teen Jean nor Ghost Jean

Cyclops
    Best: Gillen. Loved his take on modern day Scott
    Worst: Morrison. Ruined the character for me for quite some time

Iceman
    Best: Lobdell. OZT will forever be the definitive Bobby story
    Worst: Sina Grace. YAAASSS! More like Ugh!

Havok
    Best:
    Peter David. Alex shined in X-Factor, which is also where he unfortunately peaked
    Worst: Bunn and Austen. There really isnt much to like about him under either writer.
    Last edited by Havok83; 06-27-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Iceman
    Best: Lobdell. OZT will forever be the definitive Bobby story
    Worst: Sina Grace. YAAASSS! More like Ugh!
    Agreed. And yes, OZT is my favorite Iceman story.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Magik

Best: Claremont, Bendis, & Wells
    Worst: Gillen & Guggenheim
    *High Five I figured I could only choose one but this is spot on.

Cyclops: Claremont(Cap off Cyke's departure), Simonson, Whedon, Gillen, Bendis (Pre-BotA)

Worst: Aaron
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Storm:

Best-Lord Claremont

Worst-hard to tell(there have been so many bad Storm writers), but Guggenheim, Bendis, Fraction, and Aaron are all close though.
    Agreed with you. That said, hard as it is to believe, while CC was Ororo's best writer, I would hate to see him do a solo Storm book. I would much rather see a solo title written by Alan Davis, Chris Yost, or Coates.

Captain Britain

Best Alan Davis
    Worst Scott Lobdell

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    as a storm fan I will have to agree with this.

My personal best writers:

1. Claremont: He is the blue-print that every writer should adhere to when writing her. His storm embodied so many contradictory traits yet he made her work. there were things I wish he would have done more to establish in terms of her power, but overall he is the reason storm is as well-known and popular as she is today.

2. Coates: This writer gave me an Ororo I have always wanted to read about. He writes her as a believable character to me as I would see a black heroine in the real world. It boggles my mind that for an African American character who has existed since the 70s that there are probably a handful or two of stories that show her embracing her blackness, and exploring her culture as it relates to being an Kenyan/Egyptian, as well as African American. Coates writes her unapologetically black and this is I believe one of the best things that could have been done for this character as it is well over due. I couldn't imagine a character like her existing in real life and not attempting to addresss issues that plague the black communities around he world. I also like that he canonized her being an actual goddess.

3. Yost/Wood: I think these two did a pretty good job when then wrote her. I like some of things Yost explored when it related to her power (I believe he was the one to give us one of her first internal attacks) and Wood seem to capture the voice of Ororo that can be stern and somewhat cold. I think if you were able to mix these two together they would generate a pretty impressive storm.

My absolute worst writers:

As yoga said there are far more many bad writers of storm than good. I will limit this to my top 3 as well:

1. Bendis: The absolute worst Storm writer. He trolled this character it seemed everytime he had the chance to write her. Him having her as an Avenger was trash drooling all over the ground, her being written as a mother hen during her head mistress time, and even wrote her with blank speech panels saying absolutely nothing. Trash.

2. Aaron: He gets number two because his vision for her post her annulled marriage set the path for her to end up where did during IvX. He wrote her after returning to the Xmen post being a queen as logans side piece. He would be the vehicle that steered the way for much of her development particularly when he died she seemed to go bat sh!t crazy not trusting her better judgment and being ineffective against a cloud. Let's not forget he also believes she needs "weather" for her powers to work, even though this is probably one of the most inaccurate things writers get wrong about her. He was absolutely, absolutely one of the worst things to happen to her.

3. Guggenheim: I actually had the pleasure of meeting him in person and had a detailed discussion about Storm. I may have even made him a little higher on list prior to this discussion. The funny thing about Guggenheim is that he knows his storm history and loves the character. We see evidence of this at times in Gold (such as the XSE badge, his fascination with Stormcaster). However, his execution is tremendously flawed. He acknowledged that giving her stormcaster now with her powers is like putting a hat on top of hat, he also claimed that Claremont explanation of her using her powers via energy sight was a retcon, and he admittedly mentioned that he finds her hard to write particularly powerwise beyond just wind and lightning. His heart is there and gold 25 (the collar moment) is evident there is potential there but he honestly should never have been tasked or given the permission to write Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Storm

Best:

Claremont
    Kim
    Pak
    Yost/Wood (varying degrees)
    Gray
    W.Wilson

Worst:

Fraction
    Gillen
    Lemire
    Bendis
    Guggenheim
    Bunn
    How could you two leave Alan Davis off the list of great Storm writers? He gave us the Trion story arc and reestablished Storm's indomitable will after Lobdell/Kelly/Seagle took it away from her.

@Butterflykyss: Guggenheim told a lie when he said Storm's energy sight was a retcon. We saw it as early as Uncanny X-Men #121:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/jtGkQF7HSR6...Fof7JmfC=s1600

and then we saw this power applied on a cosmic scale in Uncanny X-Men 166 during the Brood Saga which Guggenheim stated in an interview he had reread a few years ago:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/71Tg6Wel96T...xVFony0a=s1600

Even Lobdell, who wrote Storm down badly to prop up other characters acknowledged Storm's alternate sight in canon.

Guggenheim should be ashamed of himself for telling you that lie.

Domino

Best:Kyle/Yost

Worst: Probably Pak, but that might just be because it's fresh in my mind.

MAGNETO

Best: Claremont, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn, Greg Pak, Kieron Gillen

Worst: (By far, the worst disaster for a character maybe in Marvel history) Grant Morrison

MOIRA MACTAGGERT

Best: Claremont, Lobdell

Worst: Warren Ellis, Ben Raab, others on later Excalibur issues--reduced her to a dying plot-point wearing an isolation suit.

MOONSTAR

Best: Claremont

Worst: Every other appearance has been meh. Nothing stands out. She's a supporting player used to advance the plot.

KITTY PRYDE

Best: Claremont, Whedon, Guggenheim, Davis, Ellis (in that order)

Worst: Don't have any "worst" -- mostly mediocre portrayals in between great ones

Extraordinary Member

Magik

Best: Claremont, Zeb Wells, Bendis

Worst: Guggenheim It's amazing how his butchering of a character can stand out so much when he's barely used that character at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Ann Nocenti wrote Logan? when?
    Yes. She wrote two stories with him. The stories are called Typhoid Kiss and A Battle of the Sexes.

Featuring Typhoid Mary. Which is not a surprise since she created her. I want to say that the second story is more Typhoid Mary story than Logan. Fun fact that story takes place when Jean and Cyclops are getting married. (It even came out the same month and year. I don't know if it came the same day though)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape
    (Great list BTW)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth with the Wolverine list.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post

MOONSTAR

Best: Claremont

Worst: Every other appearance has been meh. Nothing stands out. She's a supporting player used to advance the plot.
    I wouldn't go quite that far. It's true that no one has come close to Claremont's take, but JF Moore and Abnet & Lanning did a decent job. Zeb Wells was good except for the stupid relationship with Cannonball. Kieron Gillen (did I spell that right?) did a great fill in issue, except that she was written like she was still 17.

For worst, I'd say Louise Simonson and Weir & DePhilips (good series over all, but Dani was way off).

My favorite X-Man is:
    Cyclops.
    My favorite Cyclops writer is:
    Roy Thomas
    My most hated Cyclops writer is:
    Grant Morrison