Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cykewasright View Post
    *High Five I figured I could only choose one but this is spot on.
    Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Magik

Best: Claremont, Zeb Wells, Bendis

Worst: Guggenheim It's amazing how his butchering of a character can stand out so much when he's barely used that character at all.
    Agreed! His work with Illyana sticks out like a sore thumb compared to those who have actually expressed their love of the character (Bendis, Lemire, & Rosenberg).

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    Everyone's taken my takes! So I'll have to cycle down out of my all-time favourite characters

I'm going with Hellion

Best- KYost. Close, so close, with DeFilipis/Weir. They fall short for not knowing who the character was from the get go, but, of course, this makes sense since they created him. He got some great development in Academy X, but I think the Childhood's End development just edges forwards. Seeing him mature and take shape as a genuine young X-Man was fantastic.

Worst- Another vote for Aaron. Mindless bully? Background character? Dismissal of his friends who died in the bus attack? These things do not describe Julian Keller. Aaron had a particular tone and type of book in mind for WatXM, which really didn't seem to be compatible with the existing characters.

Agreed with this 100%. KYost perfected what DeFilipis/Weir created, and Aaron’s portrayal was by far the worst we’ve ever seen.

Cyclops...

Best writer - Kieron Gillen

Worst writer - Brian Bendis

BANNED

Super easy

Claremont Best
    Morrison Worst. One of the laziest hackjobs of the era.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Super easy

Claremont Best
    Morrison Worst. One of the laziest hackjobs of the era.
    who are you talking about?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    who are you talking about?
    Magneto.......

BANNED

Gambit:

Best Writer: FabNic
    Worst Writer: Mike Carey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Jean Grey

Best:
    This is hard. There's a trio of writers that I feel nail Jean's voice the absolute best - Louise Simonson, Grant Morrison, and Tom Taylor. The three of them have her voice down so well; narratively, these three writers write her so powerfully and characterize her beautifully. It's believable to think that Weezy's Jean turned into Morrison's and has turned into Taylor. She's so powerful, both with her actual powers and through her persona, compassionate, fiery... but I'm gonna give this to what we've seen of Tom Taylor's Jean. I'm loving what we've gotten so far and I'm so excited to see what we get going forward.

Worst: Would it be cheating to say the writers of the X-Men Animated Series from 1992? Yes? ... aw. Jean is a character that is almost consistently written well (apart from the times in the 90's where she was practically waifish) so picking a writer that really doesn't write her well at all is also incredibly challenging. Bendis? I guess? Not in that I don't like Teen Jean, because I do, and not that I'm more or less an apologist of her character arc in All New X-Men, but that was probably the worst look for Jean (especially around issue 6)
    In a way I think we jean fans “owe” bendis.

Imo, without the 05 plot being written well and jean being written as the centerpiece, there is a good chance adult jean wouldn’t be alive today.

That doesn’t exactly count as “writing her well”, but I loved teen jean under him the most. And the path adult jean’s resurrection could very well have been paved by his focus on teen jean in anxm. So I tend to cut him some slack. Aywno, we will never know the other possibilities so I guess it’s a moot point.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Teen jean: best-bendis

Worst- hopeless (until the last 4 issues).

Lemire played it safe and nothing stood out, sure, but I don’t think it was bad. And while I don’t find bunn’s jean to be amazing, she’s satisfactory.

Early in jean’s solo I really disliked the character. Luckily he improved as the series went on but since there isn’t much history for teen jean I rank him worst.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

Cyke:
    -Best. . . SO many to choose, Loise Simonson, Joss WHedon, Gillen
    -Worst: Layman (first 5 issues of X factor), Soule, Morrison

Tyke:
    Best: Bendis, Rucka
    WOrse: Hopeless

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    For Jean:
    Best: Claremont made the character who she is practically from nothing. Also i dislike so many things about Morrison's run but his Jean was awesome.

Worst: none
    It's kind of interesting how hard it is to point someone who did an awful job with Jean. Most of it is passable or above. I can't remember right now anyone that fucked up the character for real.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    It's kind of interesting how hard it is to point someone who did an awful job with Jean. Most of it is passable or above. I can't remember right now anyone that fucked up the character for real.
    She wasn't alive during the worst time for the X-Men (creatively), so she never had to go througth awfull characrherization, Grant Morrison did her a favor in hindsight

Wolverine

Best : Chris Claremont, John Byrne, Barry Windsor Smith, Peter David, Walter Simonson, Larry Hama, Frank Tieri, Greg Rucka and Mark Millar

Worst : Daniel Way, Jeph Loeb and Paul Cornell

Way, Loeb and Cornell completely destroyed Wolverine for me to the point that I was so glad when Marvel killed the character in 2014. Thank god for the Old Man Logan serie we got since then lol.

I also want to add Bill Jemas as one of the worst Wolverine writer for being the one responsible for giving Logan one of the worst superhero origin story and that stupid James Howlett name. When many writers like Grant Morrison told Jemas it was a bad idea to tell this story and that even Bendis didn't want to write it, he should have drop the idea.

Of course Jenkins, who never wrote a Wolverine story, was chosen to co-write this thing with the guy who will be responsible for Marville, what could go wrong right?

Some stories are better left untold.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenom2893 View Post

Cable

Best: Fabian Nicieza, James Robinson, Joe Casey, Jeph Loeb, and Robert Wienberg.

Worst: James Robinson. I know, I put him in the best, and he wrote a good Cable in the 90's. The reason I put him was he wrote last year a bad one. Funny that I only have one bad writer with Cable, lol.
    I like your Cable picks, I would only add Tishman and Macan for their Cable/Soldier X run, I really like their take on the character.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenom2893 View Post
    Yes. She wrote two stories with him. The stories are called Typhoid Kiss and A Battle of the Sexes.

Featuring Typhoid Mary. Which is not a surprise since she created her. I want to say that the second story is more Typhoid Mary story than Logan. Fun fact that story takes place when Jean and Cyclops are getting married. (It even came out the same month and year. I don't know if it came the same day though)
    Also Daredevil vol.1 #249 where Wolverine and Daredevil are tracking Bushwacker.
    Last edited by Hush; 06-28-2018 at 03:49 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    She wasn't alive during the worst time for the X-Men (creatively), so she never had to go througth awfull characrherization, Grant Morrison did her a favor in hindsight
    While I don't like that she stayed that long dead, most of the fans we see around here would be foaming rabidly if they put her through the same thing the rest of the franchise went through.

Imagine if Wanda had depowered Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    While I don't like that she stayed that long dead, most of the fans we see around here would be foaming rabidly if they put her through the same thing the rest of the franchise went through.

Imagine if Wanda had depowered Jean.
    Yeah that's true, althougth i wonder how things would have gone if she didn't die, what would have changed?, there is some good ideas there to explore in fanfiction