Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default I know people are going to hate this question...

But do we know if Johns SO is canon again? Or is it something else? Near as I can tell, it seems like we got something else. But there hasn't been much to go on so I'm not really sure.
    Assassinate Putin!

As far as I know, Reborn put SO back in canon.....but not the SO that we read. It's a modified version, where some things (like Jon) were added in, and some things (like Conner) were taken out (at least for now).

Best I can tell, it's a framework. Clark had powers as a kid, met the Legion, the Kents died, etc etc. But the details, especially once you get into Clark's career as Superman, start to vary. Lana, for example, was still the New52 version last I knew, so odds are her current continuity swerved from SO at some point.

But I didn't read Jurgens' Action at all, and haven't read Tomasi's Superman since Manchester Black, so I definitely am far from an authority.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

As usual the correct answer for everything Rebirth-related is: nobody knows, not even the people who work at DC.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    As usual the correct answer for everything Rebirth-related is: nobody knows, not even the people who work at DC.

Yeah right now it's canon, but we have a new writer handling the books. He can change things at any point.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It is. But there have been slight tweaks like the outfits they wore on Krypton. I don't think it's any more confusing than when we got Secret Origin to retcon the history of Superman at the end of Johns' run. At least now we have a concrete idea: that after Secret Origin, there came a blend of the post crisis, New 52, and flashpoint histories. I think everything we need to know came between #977 and #978.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    As far as I know, Reborn put SO back in canon.....but not the SO that we read. It's a modified version, where some things (like Jon) were added in, and some things (like Conner) were taken out (at least for now).

Best I can tell, it's a framework. Clark had powers as a kid, met the Legion, the Kents died, etc etc. But the details, especially once you get into Clark's career as Superman, start to vary. Lana, for example, was still the New52 version last I knew, so odds are her current continuity swerved from SO at some point.

But I didn't read Jurgens' Action at all, and haven't read Tomasi's Superman since Manchester Black, so I definitely am far from an authority.
    This is still right. Jurgens' run never touched upon the origin again after Reborn, and Tomasi's run never elaborated on it at all, so you didn't miss anything important in this regard. The few scattered glimpses of SO-inspired panels of Clark's past in Reborn Aftermath are still all we have. The basic framework of SO being the safe bet right now is still accurate.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

That’s putting it mildly, to say the least.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Right now the basic framework is canon. Jurgens basically set up a skeleton origin that didn’t dive too deep into the specifics. God help us if Miller’s Year One is a big success and they decide to make that the new canon origin. We’ll be right back where we started.
    Last edited by RepHope; 06-26-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Right now the basic framework is canon. Jurgens basically set up a skeleton origin that didn’t dive too deep into the specifics.God help us if Miller’s Year One is a big success and they decide to make that the new canon origin. We’ll be right back where we started.
    Why would it be bad if that's a success? Aren't successes a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why would it be bad if that's a success? Aren't successes a good thing?
    Less about it being a success, and more about them perhaps attempting to artificially graft it into Earth 0 canon. Them doing that with Birthright is what set off the continuity problems.

Less about it being a success, and more about them perhaps attempting to artificially graft it into Earth 0 canon. Them doing that with Birthright is what set off the continuity problems.
    Ah...meh. I have never cared about continuity really, I think DC could have saved a lot of headaches if they took a loose approach to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Ah...meh. I have never cared about continuity really, I think DC could have saved a lot of headaches if they took a loose approach to it.
    They have. DC You was “story > continuity”. It flopped saleswise which was a shame, there was some good stuff there (main line aside). Rebirth is also continuing that mindset with a much bigger success.

They have. DC You was “story > continuity”. It flopped saleswise which was a shame, there was some good stuff there (main line aside). Rebirth is also continuing that mindset with a much bigger success.
    Rather debatable from what I’ve seen.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Until otherwise explicitly stated, I think Superman's history is now a vague 'Greatest Hits' that can include or exclude whatever readers and creators want. Given the endless revisions to Superman’s status quo and origins over the past several years, the current setup seems like the best idea.

Moving forward, everyone knows the highlights and benchmarks. The specific details aren't really relevant unless a story requires them to be.

Kandor is a prime example of this. Kandor is a bottled city kidnapped by Brainiac that contained some of the last survivors of Krypton. That's all that's necessary to know. The various convoluted past incarnations of Kandor aren't relevant to current stories so there's no reason to bring them up, but if a reader or creator wanted to do something with the lame Post Crisis version that wasn't Kryptonian they could if they wanted to or ignore it like the rest of us do.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 06-27-2018 at 05:11 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think DCYou was let each comic exist in its own bubble continuity. So Justice League didn't have to worry about the nonsense that the various solo books were trying at the time.

DCYou failed because most of those solo experiments were not very good